Help Filtration

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by THE ANIMAL, 9 Apr 2009.

1. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

I'f seen sum threads that's been posted regarding sand for filtration and spoke to people. I'm a little confuse please clear it for me. I want to convert my sump filter to a DSB and in my tank to, want to replace the corel whit sand. Sump only consist of LR. Want to use sand from the beach but been from bloem it's not that easy. So my next option is play sand. Now they say that it will take my silicon levels through the roof even if I wash it. PLEASE help me to this? THANKS!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

PLaysand or riversand is fine. If you can get aragonite this would be better

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Playsand is 100%,
    just wash it 100 times until it is clean. Do a bit at a time.
    I bought a 40kg bag from building suplies store for lot cheaper that Reggies.

Remember that a DSB takes time to start, minimum 6 weeks. So you can not just convert over. Chucking the LR and start on sand immediatly will not work. Also the sump design must be so that the water flow over the sand, not through it at all.

Please search this site for more info on DSB.

5. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL Thread Starter

HI Riaan
    Thanks for the reply seeminly that I'm stragling with my tank to get it right and for members to help me sort it out. May-be it's because i'm afrikaans and a cheetah supporter ( HA HA!!). My plan is to put the sand in my sump and then put the LR back on top of the sand. My sump's design will flow over the sand. So what you say is that it is not necessary for me to get sand from the beach? I will first do my sump and then after a week or so the tank. Will this be ok?

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Please remember the deep sand beds are used for de-nitrification and play sand or silica sand is fine for this purpose, it wont raise your silicate levels at all. Personally i would not keep a DSB in my display tank where it will be disturbed all the time, i would only have it in a remote area possible combined with a refugium. A sump is perfect for this.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you only want a 2 or 3 cm layer of sand in the display tank, that will be OK.

But leave what you got in there until the DSB is at least 6 weeks old.
    DSB must be 15cm deep, as big an area as possible. Try to find other Bloemfontein reefers and seed your DSB from theirs. Just a cup af sand will be fine. Should speed up your startup a lot.

When DSB is working, then replace the substrate in the display tank.

8. Tony

Tony

Fine but wash some of the sand a bit to see what colour it is when wet. Some of the sand out there looks crap when wet

9. THE ANIMAL

Thanks Riaan will do.

Have n look at my tank pics i'f just posted some then you can get an better idea. The plan is not to make an DSB in my display tank. My tank consist off large corel 20mm + to me it seems like it can be a nitrate factory. But yes I will first do my DSB at 15cm and leef it for 6 weeks. I have organic aqua marine (B-bac) will this help with the seeding?

10. THE ANIMAL

THANKS Tony will do
    Have a look at my tank pics just posted it, and get beter idea. Please make suggestions?

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

playsand will do nothing for the silicates ...... there is no way it woulld be leached into the water column.... NO way !!

Send a PM to hennie landman, "reef Maniac" I am sure if you ask him nicely he would give you a little sane to seed your dsb.

a DT tank DSB can work, but i still think a redesign of the sump would be best for you?

12. Triven

Triven

how much sand should i put in my dsb

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

until it is 15cm deep

14. Triven

Triven

it is about 25cm deep how much sand should i full

15. Triven

Triven

sorry i understand

16. Triven

Triven

i have bought a open brain coral,but how long before it opens....@ night it gets meaty not open but i put some liquid food over it n i saw its mouth open pls help water is fine northlands tested it all good

17. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Triven, please open a thread asking your questions, you will get help far quicker that way..... you are kind of moving this thread off topic, thanks bud.;)

18. Triven

Triven

how do i do that

19. brentnorm

brentnorm

Click on forums, pick a subtitle that best suits your question on start a new thread.

Recent Posts