Help - do i have a case for the CPA. new BMW purchase

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by Furbz, 17 May 2012.

1. Furbz

Furbz

Hello All,

i am looking for some advice

i recently took delivery of a new Black 118i BMW

at the time of delivery it was noticed that there were some watermarks on all the horizontal surfaces.
    i did make this known at the time and didn't think to much of it as it should come out with the first wash.
    sadly these nasty little water marks didn't. and even on using polish on the paint they stuck around.

now i contacted BMW with the issue and the dealership organised me a courtesy car while my new car was taken in to have these marks polished out.

on arrival to collect my car my paint has been totally stuffed up.

the water marks are 95% gone now
    but i have horrible swill marks all over my car now (like micro scratches)
    on top of this there is a nasty hologram effect where the paint seems to be moving over different lines (i suspect this is due to different pressures being used when the car was polished)

so now i have a brand new BMW with paint damage on almost all of my body panels

i then met with BMW SA so they could see the issues and try to rectify the situation.
    first off the guy tries to say it could have been me that damaged the paint.
    i had to get the sales assistant, head manager and after sales manager to vouch for me on paper before the oke dropped his, "its your fault not ours attitude."
    great way to treat a customer!

now i have experienced nothing but quality from the dealership, they have been helpful all the way through this. and imo have done everything correctly given the circumstances.

now BMW SA guy insisted the car go in to be re-polished.

i am, and will be a happy man if my car is returned to me with the paint in a new car condition as it should have been on delivery. - i believe this to be a fair request

however i was told that its likely not all the hologram effect will be removed.

it seems the guy from BMW SA is dodging taking responsibly that the car was dispatched from CDC with imperfections.
    as by accepting this fingers get pointed and blame is laid etc.

my car got returned back from its second polish, BMW SA guy inspected it an is not happy with it.
    now my car is gonig to BMWs plant.
    i dont know what the plan is for it yet and am awaiting feedback wrt to this.

i dont want my new car to be stripped and repainted for fear of my new cars panels not lining up, creaking etc

i also am not entirely happy that my car from new is needed 2 aggressive polishes to get the paint right.

should i still not have a satisfatory result with regards to the above issue do i have a strong case wrt to the CPA? - any lawyers on masa please jump in here!

thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

4. Suhayl

Suhayl

I feel your pain man, hope you get it sorted out and the only way is getting another new car. Your car sounds bad and re polishing wont fix it.

5. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

I don't think you can or should do anything at this stage.

Let them have the opportunity to fix the problem at the BMW plant. If it is still not right after this only then would I suggest taking it further.

BMW prides itself on quality, and if you really wanted to you could drag their name through the mud by posting rude messages on every consumer site around the world. They would be well aware of this so I am sure they will sort it out to your satisfaction.

I had an experience where I purchased a demo from them (12000km). When I took it to another dealership for assessment to sell it (28000 km) they told me it had been in an accident (left front side as paintwork was different) and so would not give me full value of the car for trade-in. This was never disclosed to me by first dealership nad in fact no records were logged on the system either. I think the dealership damaged the vehicle and fixed it on the hush to avoid problems.

Anyway at the end of the day I actually sold it back to the dealership that initially sold it to me at market price without any problems - they could not very well say that there was previous damage as they knew it was there already when I purchased it from them originally.

But all my others experiences with BMW have been 100% - honoured maintenance plan with never any issues etc.

Last edited: 17 May 2012
  6. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I'm in a sorta similar boat, I did speak with my attorney, according to the new CPA, within the first 6 months of your purchase, should there be any defect on the vehicle, mechanical or structural, the dealership is obligated to take the car back and replace it or sort out the defect failing which, you can cancel the deal all together. You can visit The National Consumer Commission on line, good info there but good luck trying to get them on the horn...

7. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

I agree with you 100%

i am eager to hear back from them and believe the right steps are being taken.
    i will hopefully know back on monday or tuesday next week.

i just wish to find out as much detail as i can should this turn ugly.
    the car is now 4 months old so i am making sure i know all the details due to the cut off of 6 months.
    past experience has taught me to be prepared for any circumstances

8. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

how many of the 4 months did you have the car for?

9. pXius

pXius

I don't know if you saw the CPA Carte Blanche episode on M-net but I'd say your chances are slim. Besides not having a straight up water tight case, a lot of people who do have had very little success with the CPA.

I'd say to keep on hammering BMW and only consider CPA as a last resort.

Last edited: 17 May 2012
  10. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

we knew about the watermarks right from the beginning. but they were just watermarks, neither myself or the dealership saw this as being a big issue.
    i then used the car for roughly 2 months before the car was taken it to have the marks removed, we both had issues both bringing the car in and them supplying a courtesy car.
    again no big issue

then the paint got damaged further in the attempt to remove the watermarks

11. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

You'd be surprised how much one can achieve when you throw the CPA word in the mix, my brother recently purchased a Touareg used, took it for inspection after delivery and huge work need to be done, long story short, he told the dealer they need to sort it out or he's canceling the deal, they are now in the process of repairing the faults at the dealers expense..

12. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

i didnt sadly

but that what i need to hear.
    i am not clued up with this and am just looking to cover my bases

but paying a fortune to drive a car that doesnt shine and looks terrible is not something i am willing to settle for.

13. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I doubt you will have much luck with BMW but of course you can try. I've heard of cars in far worse condition. My recommendation is that you take your car to a professional detailer who knows what they are doing and definitely won't leave holograms in your car like these guys:
    Reflections Detailing
    Mobile Image: South Africa's Premium Detailing and Car Care Supply Store: Index

You can see more of both of their work on Crazy Detailer, South Africa's LARGEST Premium Brand Car Care & Detailing Supplies Store with Crazy Prices ! -> forum and Waxon Detailing Forum.
    They might not be able to get all the marks out but they should be a lot better and most importantly they wont make it worse. If you're happy with the car after that then maybe you can fight to get their invoice paid by the dealership that screwed it up.

14. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

problem is if i step in to fix their mess up it then become my responsibility.
    i would rather they fix it as currently they have taken responsibly

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

There are other German brands out there to buy :whistling:

16. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

ooo yes.... but the price tag is just a touch steep

17. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

just a revival of this,

my car got swapped out :)

they couldnt get me back into a 118i due to the demand and a lack of an available car of similar spec to mine.
    however, i did get given a great deal on the new 320i with sportline and xenons.
    a small pay in later and i'm finally in a new vehicle!

just goes to show, if you have a good case and stick to your guns about what you believe is right you'll eventually come out on top.

by the way,
    the new 3 series is an exceptional vehicle! totally different to the old 3. much more comfortable, and with the standard adaptive suspension its plush for normal driving and direct when you need it to be!
    i am well impressed!

18. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Glad all got sorted...:thumbup:

19. seahunter

seahunter

@Furbz , Didn't they tell you about the 30 day return policy ???

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

nope?

21. seahunter

seahunter

I have purchased 3 brand new cars to date , all of which came with the 15-30 day exchange policy, non of them were BMW's thou, so I've asked if you got the same.

Recent Posts