Help design my new tank

Reaction score
hello hello
as you may know iv sold my 2500l setup ,wich means UPGRADE:slayer: so im wanting some help desighning a new tank in concrete!
iv goy a corner area where im wanting to build this tank from the floor up ,no stand and about three viewing windows
i havent done much planning but id like the tank to be about 1.7m deep and have a volume of over 8000l. for sharks and rays !!:biggrin: all the filteration can go outside as the tank will be in the lounge

so hows about some ideas ?
lighting?
skimming?
filteration?
glass thikness?
current?

here is a terrible sketck of what im looking at
tank.jpg

any crits and help welcome!!
the inside will be done in black fiberglass and im wanting to go for fluidized bed filteration with a small amount of live rock! as im wantind a verry open tank for black tip reef sharks

any crits and help welcome!!
the inside will be done in black fiberglass and im wanting to go for fluidized bed filteration with a small amount of live rock! as im wantind a verry open tank for black tip reef sharks

Don't you need one of them steel wet suites as well? You gonna need your arms to place a new coral inside.....

calvinHugetank.jpg

Going to be Nice calvin

Calvin said:
so hows about some ideas ?
lighting?
skimming?
filteration?
glass thikness?
current?

Lighting Couple of 400W MH :D
Skimming With big fish big Bioload, Maybe a few TS4's
Filtration, Biggest DSB you can fit,
Glass Thickness, Mhhh VERY THICK:lol:
Current, Huge closed loop system:D:D

wow canga wish i could do that!! the only thing im wanting different to the pic is no stand the glass will start one brick above the floor level! so the actuall tank height will be 1.7m ith all filteration outside

i will be keeping no corals at all so ill be using fairly weak lighting ! iv got a machine of a skimmer
101_4657.jpg

101_4655.jpg

and i was thinking of a 3 square metre dsb

and return of 3 pool pumps

Ok That MR. Skimmer :D:D

Something more like this

calvinHugetank-1.jpg

thats more like it kanga!! thanks a ton

Any time Calvin, I have the file so as you go I will change what you need

Hi Calvin! WOW! Huge project! Good luck with it!

I would perhaps want to add - regarding the DSB - perhaps have 4 swimming pool filters act as the DSB..... You have half-fill each and leave the top-end open (you don't want the high-pressure filter effect of a normal swimming pool filter)....

Have each filter contain a different size grain sand going from the largest grain size to the smallest. Then, you can add your skimmer in the end to catch all other proteins that have still escaped.....

The 2 Oceans aquarium runs their system purely on sand filtration..... no skimmers at all!

you can have a 1000 litre containers (or two) where "old" water goes for recirculation - refreshing.... have some smaller skimmers run on this/these containers - and re-use the water a few times before needing to replace the water....

you will most likely need at least 45mm think glass - IF you want to use the design in Kanga's last picture though.......

Good luck again.

ok did some phoning around and got a glass quote and it was R45 000 so sketch 2 is out !! what thickness would I need with kangas first desighn? at about 100cm high with some good bracing?

can anyone give me a filteration desighn? id like to do everything in fiberglass it easy to clean and neater

can anyone give me a filteration desighn? id like to do everything in fiberglass it easy to clean and neater
Calvin, is the fliters going to be under the tank?

Calvin, are you sure the walls will be able to hold that kind of outward pressure? What kind of bracing are you putting across the top? What are you using for the upright poles in the front? What's going to hold those poles up? Are you going to pour an extra bit of foundation for them? Have you considered acrylic instead of glass?

Have you seen monsterfishkeepers.com?

kanga
the filteration willgo out side via the window and will be 2 x 1m square brick ponds as refugiums and a 40kg flutdized bed filter and one of reef octos largest skimmer and 2 x 1kw pool pumps for return

oh and two pool pumps as returns

Back
Top Bottom