Help Creating Structure

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 24 Jan 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

Hi all,

I have bought some great Texan Base Bone rock (pictures below). I am going to do some aqua construction and need some advice please. Amount of rock 18kgs.

The tank has been running with Zeovit for a while, the tank inhabitants are in the new tank for about two weeks. The tangs haven't settled as yet, there is still 10% aggression during the day and increases to about 30% aggression at sun set (which apparently is normal :)

The main reason is to give all the fish areas to hide and sleep. Also to increase the swimming space in the tank.

Structure

So the structure is going to be two main big islands. I want to make the islands either point at the top or flat <--- Advise here.

Keeping the structure together:

1. I bought Prattely Putty
    2. I have the big super strength cable ties.

Now keeping in mind that I will have to build this OUTSIDE the tank. I am planning on using egg crate for flooring (going to create multiple floor), and in some cavities I am going to create, I will be partitioning that cavity - think open floor offices with a floor and a roof.

QUESTION

Will this (point 1 and 2) be enough to hold the rocks together whilst I move it over the tank and into the tank.

Seeding

I have a lot of LR current in the tank.

QUESTION

Do I have to mix this new base rock with the current LR or is it sufficient enough to just have the base rock in the same tank (DT) as the LR to get it seeded.

IF I have to take the current LR out, how would I prevent die off and a risk of ammonia spike whilst building this structure and having the LR out the tank for a few hours. I would really prefer not to remove the LR.

Inhabitants health

As stated above the Inhabitants have been in the tank for two weeks (move from my old tank to the new tank). They settled still a little bit of territory building but that's normal.

QUESTION

Do I wait a while like two months before making this change?

When I make the change do I need to catch all the fish (stress them out again), take out all the corals?

Or can I build the structure outside and drop it in to place?

Thank you for your time and looking forward to your response.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Submariner

Submariner

Hi Carlos

Taking the liverock out for a few hours while you do the scaping will be fine.

Where you place the new rock in the tank will not make any difference to how quickly it seeds from the mature rock.

You do not need to take out any livestock to do the aquascaping.

If you want to build the structure outside the tank that will be fine also.

I normally scape inside the display and then use putty ate key structural points to make sure it stays together.

If a bonsia type of look is wanted sometimes you may need to do it outside the tank.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2012
  4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

@Submariner - thanks dude, I was going to call you over for some beer and help.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Submariner

Submariner

Will try pop in after work on Saturday.

6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Cool bring the lady if you want my misses will be there

Recent Posts