Help combating cyano

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by ScottK, 4 Oct 2011.

1. ScottK

ScottK

I really seem to be battling with cyano at the moment and am not sure what else I can do. I have read nearly all the threads on cyano possible and have tried almost every suggestion. It is growing everywhere, on the substrate, on the rocks and is driving me absolutely nuts. It has basically taken over one of my rocks with yellow polyps and seems to have killed them off :(

My setup is:

DT 700x450x450
    Sump 615x325x325

The sump has 3 chambers, bubble magus NAC3 in the first, DSB + Chaeto + Red Bamboo Algae in second, 3rd is return. I have two small reactors (one DIY), one was running PhosGuard and the other is running ammonia removing stones. I have also added an airstone into the sump. In the last 2-3 months I have been changing the PhosGuard every 2nd week.

The setup was purchased from a MASA member so everything was well established. I re-did the DSB as I was worried about die off so this is probably not 100% up and running yet.

The only thing I am dosing right now is MB7, I have reduced my feeding to a small amount of flakes twice a day. I do a 15-20% water change weekly. I also recently bought my own RO unit to ensure the water quality was correct.

I have stopped running my supplement T5's during they day and just have my 20000k 150W MH running for 4 hours. The DSB runs on a reverse cycle with a 24w cool white energy saver (

About 2 weeks ago I basically stripped the tank, brushed and rinsed all of the LR to remove any cyano and siphoned the sand bed to ensure it was clean. My tank was looking great until a couple of days ago when the cyano came back with force.

I added a blue banded goby to try and assist keeping the sand bed clean.

I currently have two Sunsun 3000lph in the DT running off of a wave maker alternating the pumps every 2 min. They are pointed downwards at the moment.

Some questions about the pumps:

1. For my size of tank the Sunsun pumps should be enough but the flow doesn't seem that great. The flow is great close to the pump but seems to fade off quite quickly. If I drop food just above the pump it pushes it about half way across the tank. Do the pumps maybe need replacing?

2. The only way I can get decent flow over the sand is to point the pumps down, I see a lot of recommendations for the pumps to be angled towards the surface of the water. Should I have one pointing up and the other down?

3. Is the wave maker needed or should I just have both pumps running all the time? If so how should I point them?

4. I've noticed the cyano is growing on rocks even where there is strong direct flow, i thought cyano would not grow in a high flow area?

I have considered adding an ATS but am quite limited with space. Does anybody have any other suggestions as I am pulling my hair out here.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Have you heard of chemiclean? Its a quick fix for cyano. I know what the other reefers are gonna say now, but it works if ure in trouble.

I had a semi crash a while back and all my zoas closed up. Then mr Cyano showed up and suffocated the closed polyps. Only way to save them was with Chemiclean.

Havent seen cyano for 2 weeks now and it gave the polyps time to recover

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

Firstly and foremost stop dosing mb7 it is to feed bacteria and cyano is bacteria. I can tell you that I had the same problem. It takes a while to clear up after stopping mb7. The reason you are getting the cyano is that your normal bacteria is not taking up all the mb7 so cyano is stepping in to make use of it. Once you have stopped dosinv and cyano is gone you can dose a much smaller dose of mb7

6. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I thought MB7 (MicroBacter7) was a bacteria source and Reef BioFuel was the carbon source?

I have deliberately stayed away from carbon dosing for the exact reason that it feeds the cyano.

7. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I am dosing MB7 at the moment which is a source of bacteria, before that i was dosing special blend. I have been dosing bacteria for a few months now and it hasn't seem to have any impact on my cyano problem. I hope it helps sort your problem out.

I'll do some reading on this and keep it in mind if it starts getting beyond control.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2011
  8. mandarinman

mandarinman

Oh crap that is true. I got biofuel mixed up with mb7,oops dont I feel like the chop now! Ha. I had cyano with mb7 too and tried dosing biofuel which exasperated the situation. Im losing my mind

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

I was casting my mind back to when I had cyano. I think what finally got rid of it was dosing with special blend on a weekly basis after doing a huge waterchange with salt mix. the lower nutrients and ,competative bacteria with two hours less light a day and lower feeding of course finally got rid of it. I had it so long I cant actually remember when it dissappeared

10. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I was dosing special blend and I had the cyano but nowhere near as bad as I have it now. My LFS doesn't stock it so I change over to MB7. I have been dosing the MB7 daily, I would have expected this to starve the system of nutrients for the cyano to feed on, hasn't worked so far :(

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

Stop with the mb7, it causes more kak than good. I have read many guys having problems with it.. Switch to seachem stability or probidbio biodigest if you cant get special blend, they dont smell as bad also :p

12. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I know I can get Stability at my LFS so will switch to that straight away. I have been reading good things about Probidbio so might give that a try if I can get it nearby, is it roughly the same price as Stability/MB7?

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

I must admit the special blend seems to work well. I wasnt impressed with the mb7 as it also seemed to feed a gha problem I had at the time of the cyano. By the way what is your kh and magnesium levels?

14. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I tested this weekend and if memory serves me correctly they were as follows:

Alk 7.5
    Mg 1210
    Ca 420

15. Tremayn

Tremayn

biodigest is a bit more expensive but lasts longer.. ITs like 250 for 12 vials

16. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

Thanks, will look into it :)

Any advice on my flow questions? Was thinking of maybe replacing at least one Sunsun with a Seio prop and let it run continuously and let the Sunsun go on and off to vary the flow every now and then?

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

increasing flow works as well as increasing the oxygen level in the water by using a flow pump to agitate the surface of the water. Rather let the sun sun run none stop as they hate being turned off and on, mine just get stuck. Rather let the seio turn on and off to vary flow..

Some guys also just use an air stone and pump, but I think the salt creep will be a nightmare lol

18. mandarinman

mandarinman

Up your alk and magnesium cyano seems to like lower ph

19. zayd

zayd

Increase oxygenation of the water, lots of carbon and increase your kH (9) and Magnesium (1400). Even a little higher.

I personally don't think its only flow that matters but more surface agitation to increase oxygenation. Add a small pump that disturbs the surface of the water.

I have won the battle with cyano several times over the last 5 years (when I neglect my tank as I travel a lot during certain times of the year) and the above works for me.

Big Blue likes this.
  20. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I'm not running any carbon at the moment, can you recommend a good brand as I know the "cheaper" stuff does more harm than good. Should I run the carbon in a reactor or will it be fine in a bag in the sump?

I have an air pump with a lime wood stone in my sump but will also point one of my flow pumps towards the surface and see if it helps.

21. Big Blue

Big Blue

"Increase oxygenation of the water, lots of carbon and increase your kH (9) and Magnesium (1400). Even a little higher.

I personally don't think its only flow that matters but more surface agitation to increase oxygenation. Add a small pump that disturbs the surface of the water."

I tried everything to win this battle, and in the end what really worked was the above, with a good cleaner crew in place and alittle less light.

Recent Posts