Help - Closed Loop System

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have decided to build another tank 175cm X 67 cm X 65 cm (l X h X w), that I will use for my reef. My current 1.5m tank have two bulkhead at the top through which the water falls into the sump. Can I do the same thing on the new tank or is an overflow chamber better and if so where should I make it and what size.

Secondly and a very important one. I want to run this tank on a closed loop return. Any ideas on how this should look to really have a good waterflow in my tank. I have seen a very interesting design of a tank with a closed loop and different returns somewhere on the internet, but cannot remember where. It may even have been on this forum. Any body knows what i am talking about or have perhaps seen something like that?

Please guys I am looking for good response from you.

PS I do not mind drilling hole in my tank. I'll drill as many as are needed. Oh yes, will these holes(bulkheads0 have any effect on the strengh of the tank.

Another thing, I am using 10mm glass- Is it strong enough for the tank. I will be putting in braces. One 10mm for the bottom will be fine?

Thanks

Sanders

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
10mm will be fine as long as you have your bracing in place. Are you putting any bracing at the top of the tank?

Reaction score
dude closed loop is broad there is no real answer to your question other than to see pics and make up your own mind!! i would say the most important thing is to know basically in your head how you gonna do your aqua scaping, and position your CLS accordinly as to keep your rocks clean, this is what mine looks like

here you can see the holes

tankconnectors.jpg

here its finished being plumbed with over flow and return at far left

badquality.jpg

doing my fresh water test

DSC02235.gif

some water movement while its filling

DSC02238.gif

assembly
overflow pipe from underneath

overflow.jpg

getting started

pumpready.jpg

finished product underneath with all taps closed

DSC02236.gif

an a slight tease for spaceboy;)

tease.jpg

Reaction score
Nice Pics Phat !!

Is that your tank ?

Reaction score
yeah dude it is, evey weekend i say this weekend i am going to finish, then the wife finds work for me to do around the house, and well after work during the week, i only feel like doing so much hey:p

so it taking some time to finsih

Reaction score
Exellent Phat. so I can place my holes anywhere I like it to be, back, sides , bottom? And where's best place for overflow in rectangular tank

This is the tank

tank1.jpg

Reaction score
Awesome, good luck with the rest of the setup and keep us posted on the progress.

Reaction score
Exellent Phat. so I can place my holes anywhere I like it to be, back, sides , bottom? And where's best place for overflow in rectangular tank

This is the tank

tank1.jpg

yes you can but(always a but) within reason and the best advise i can give is plan,plan and plan, and then do a search for closed loop on google, do a sketch on sketch up of your proposed plan and let it be dissected :p

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Wow, very nice Phat i really like the idea of the closed loop on the bottom, would only work in a BB tank though.

Reaction score
agreed but i have a plan for that to...

Reaction score
Sorry Guys, excuse my ignorance but what is a BB tank?

Reaction score
hey dude, BB = bare Bottom as in no substrate, reefers usually go BB when they wanting high water turn overs usually when keeping sps

Reaction score
Hey Hey, as they say, never to old to learn.

T(h)anks Phat

Reaction score
Phat, I have the 02 Hailea 6500 on a closed loop, it works very well, but in time I will definately have to go bigger as the flow I have with these size pumps are "medium" and not really "high flow"

Reaction score
Hello Guys and Girls

Still waiting on any suggestions as to how I must do my closed loop. Give me some ideas as to how it normally works as well as where it normally enters your tank. Come on - start thinking you Einsteins!

Reaction score
Sanders, most corals struggle with a direct ongoing laminar flow. Pointing two strong jets at each other gives a chaotic and varied flow.

Pointing a jet at an angle to the surface or a wall, ie. bouncing it off breaks up the jet and also creates a more dynamic flow pattern.

As phat says, you need to first decide how your reef structure will be before you can really make your best move on where to put the returns.

A good idea is to have a jet or three under your reef structure to keep this from getting too much mulm/detritis build up.