Help chosing which ATU?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ricky, 11 Dec 2014.

1. ricky

ricky

Hi All

What is a good Auto top up unit to get?
    As i have heard some horror stories of certain brands overflowing the tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Depends how much money you want to spend I suppose :p or you could DIY one.

The TMC ones were giving issues when they originally came out, although I have read that they have since solved those issues TMC V2 Auto Top Up System - R995.00 : Jungle Aquatics, Petshop Superstore and Retail Outlet

This is a new one, got no idea if it works or not, looks very good though. AutoAqua Smart ATU Top-Up - R2,208.00 : Jungle Aquatics, Petshop Superstore and Retail Outlet

The Tunze osmolator has been around for a while TUNZE GmbH High-Tech Aquarium Technology: Catalog, they also have a nano version.

There's also a few on here - Auto Top-Up Systems I had the Reef Octopus one, but it kept sticking and overfilling.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2014
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I use SAGA units. Not a cheap option as DIY, but it does have certain features that helps a lot.

Using program B, and set to 1 minute. Meaning, both sensors are in the return chamber. Since float 2 triggers, it must reach float 1 within a minute else it will stop and an alarm will go off. Also if it runs less than 5 seconds, the alarm will also sounds.

And the maximum time it can run is 1minute. other options are 2 and 3 minutes and then no limit.

5. ricky

ricky Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

6. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Howsit,

I have the Tunze Osmolator as well as the Reef Octopus. The issues I had with one of them was purely down to lack of maintenance on my part. The Osmolator uses an optical level sensor which needs cleaning if u dose kalk, the manual makes mention of this as well, just make sure whichever brand u buy is well maintained if it uses optical or float switches. Another issue I experienced was burning out of the pump due to it not being self priming. I have read of others replacing the pump once burnt with one from a camping or outdoors shop as they are also 12v. (Can also use as a DIY option)

I use my Reef octo to fill RO from a secondary chamber but have yet to have any issues with it. Luck of the draw I guess.

Please note that I love my tunze and not bashing any brand but just making you aware of some of the issues I had so you can make an informed decision.

7. Anita

Anita Sponsor

Recent Posts