Help choosing a protein skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Tla, 8 Dec 2012.

1. Tla

Tla

Im currently starting up a new tank that is 2m x 750W x 800H and a 1.5m sump.
    The display is about 1200 litres with the sump probably more but must still add live rock so duno where that leaves the volume. The problem is finding the correct skimmer, dont know if i should go with a huge needle wheel reef octopus that is bigger then what the tank needs or going with a bubble blaster that is the exact amount, or even going with a cheaper option all together. does this all really make a big impact for the price?

Last edited: 8 Dec 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. flappy

flappy

my opinion,go with a bubble blaster as big as you can afford...

4. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Xp5000 int works great

Rather invest in a good skimmer from the beginning rather than waste money and have to re buy at a Later stage

6. Tla

Tla Thread Starter

thanks for the fast reply guys, any idea where i can get something good like an xp5000 second hand or less than 9k? i just paid for the tank and initial setup so dont think the wife will be understanding on me bringing home a 10 grand piece of acrylic. the tank should start cycling in a week or two so il probably need the skimmer by next year jan.

7. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Just my 2c, I have a system of similar size and volume and I use a reeftek TS4. The person I bought my setup from has been using it successfully for a year or two.

8. Tla

Tla Thread Starter

that's the thing, i can get the ts4 and also huge reef octopus needle wheel skimmers for less than 4 thousand and some are rated for almost 1500 litre sps tanks but all the pet stores say bubble blaster and cone skimmer is worth the price, but why? 1500 litre is 1500 litre.... isnt it?

9. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I agree. Look, bubble blaster and cone skimmer's are good skimmer's but there is nothing wrong with the reeftek and octo skimmers. They do just as well and there is a few masa reefers that use them with great success so far. I know personally I am happy with my TS4, even with 1 pump running I get good skimmate.

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Depends what u after in terms of your systems. The TS range is the old old design. Power hungry pumps that do not pull as much air as the blasters. They do work but not as powerful as thr newer skimmers and use more power. plus they dont look cool ;)

11. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Drop into perky pets in diep rivier, ask on the price of an ATI powercone, got a 200i and it overskims my 1000L

12. HiDeeHo

HiDeeHo

How do you know it over skims ?

13. crispin

crispin

I wouldnt reccomend the ATI 200i or the 250i for that tank, I have my 250i on a 1100l system and I am not happy with its performance in relation to an old model deltec.

On that size tank I would be looking at a Deltec personally. Read up on the Deltec Skimmer SC 2560 Internal, or the Deltec Skimmer SC 2060 Internal, although i would go with the SC 2560 and have the additional saftey of overskim and be able to feed heavily and maybe have a heavily stocked tank. The SC2560 might be overkill though, its just where i would go:)

TS4's skim, thats true, they just arent nearly as reliable as a decent German engineered skimmer.
    @nemosjanitor should be able to give you a price in SA as I have no idea what they go for.

14. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

@DeanT had one up for grabs, perfect for ur system, pm him and hear if its still avail

15. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

After cleaning it, it just collects some gunk and then just skims normally until i add something to the tank,
    Why were u not happy crispin?

16. Tla

Tla Thread Starter

is there anyone else who has an ati 250i? some say its great and some say bad but theres no real review online of someone who actually has and uses it.... ok maybe you crispin, but you know what i mean. i was checking out a reef octopus 5000int.. its not the xp model so no cone.

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

At the end of the day, go bigger or go home. :p
    Try getting the best skimmer you can afford, always bigger than your total volume, you won't be sorry!:)

18. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

@Tla i have two second hand skimmers that may work for you i have a deltec AP 902 skimmer ( rated for 1800l heavy stocking - 2500l normal stocking) and a TC 2060 ( 1400l heavy stocking- 1700l normal stocking)
    Both are within your price range.

Recent Posts