Help burst tank!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by mandarinman, 18 Feb 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandarinman

mandarinman

i urgently need about a firty cm tank.. i have just got into bed after doing rescue 911 . i heard my wife screaming, your tank ,your tank. i got downstairs and the floor was covered in water, my wife was holding the glass in place. and her hand was cut by the glass. but she kept on crying hurry hurry the fish are gonna die. i tried to put a container under her hands but the water was full of blood.so i had to siphon into a contianer. i then unloaded some of the liverock. i then held the tank and my wife went outside to get a tiny tank to put the fish and vital corals in. which we have done. if anyone has a nano sized tank to loan me till after payday i would greatly appreciate it approxx fifty litres . glen xxxxxxxxx im in durbanville cape town

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Feb 2008
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sorry, for the bad luck. Hope you get help from one of the boys down there.

4. sunburst

sunburst

So sorry dude.

Hope you take care of the wife before the fish. I live to far but would have helped for sure. Buckets rinsed well will do fine for now. Even tupperware.

Watch the electrical bits.

5. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

hectic dude!
    ASK MARINEMAGIC, you wanted that tank that he wants to sell.
    GO and give him the corals for that tank.

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Glen,

You (and your wife) have my symphathy - I had a tank burs tome three years ago, ended up with ~500 litres of water in my sitting room :(

Agreed with the above - and I hope the wife's hand was not been cut badly (did you disinfect it?)

ANY plastic/glass container will do as an emergency storage measure - it's even possible to use the bath tub... for a nano tank one or two kitchen-size plastic dustbins will work fine as well, just stick a heater and powerhead / air pump into each. I kept my fish and corals in a plastic kiddies swimming pool for more than 6 months after my tank burst

You're also going to need water, and salt (if you're not using NSW) in large quantities for the next few days, as you will probably need to do rather frequent water changes to keep ammonia/nitrite at bay (remember, no more filtration in whatever the temporary containers or tank you're going to use... so anyone wanting to help Glen should start to make RO water, and see if you could donate some salt powder or old tank water. The new tank will also need to cycle before you can return the livestock, so work on needing temporary housing for them for at least one month, possibly more.

Unfortunately Bloemfontein is too far away from Durbanville for me to be of any help, but be assured that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hennie

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

8. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

I hope the wife is Ok, and give her a kiss for the bravery.

I have pumps, airstones etc that I can send to you today if you need, let me know.

Good luck

9. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

yo! give me a call. xxxxxxxxxxxx... i'll start clearing the freshwater snails out of it in the mean time

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Feb 2008
  10. Alfie

Alfie

Glenn, give me call got RO for you. Sorry to hear, only saw this now.

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Glenn - I am REALLY sorry to hear that this happened to you. I hope your wife's hand is OK?

I have a small tank for you - BUT I have NOT idea how many litres it holds exactly. Probably around 40 litres or so.... You have my number. Please call me if you still need that tank - and you know where I live.

Sorry guys - I had to remove your cell numbers from the posts. We do not want a bunch of crazees and their kin to come crawling from holes and bother you guys on your private numbers.....

12. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

ag i dont mind... my ex already does that :p

13. jacquesb

Hello Henk: You mean - "bunch of crazees and their kin to come crawling from holes and bother you guys on your private numbers....." ;)

14. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

im the crazy and ive got my own kin, so i dont mind , henk is helping me out with replica tank, that way my competition is not out the window, thanks for the other hands of friendship held out to me j, a ,and others, i think we should start a hall of fame for heros like my wife who doesnt really like fish tanks.

15. mandarinman

im actually a psuedoMASAchist,cos i do this to myself lol

16. jacquesb

Well - go ahead then - start this thread of yours in our sump area! Why wait! :thumbup:

17. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

sorry to hear man.hope your wife is ok.been down that road twice with 2 tank bursts

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry to hear that, awesome wife you have, mine would have just stood there and watched the damn tank fall to pieces, then call me 30 minutes later and say "your fish are dead" :lol:

19. Seashell

Seashell

Hope all is ok. Very brave wife!! :) Worried about the fish and not her hand - bless her!!

20. mandarinman

have just got a tank that is supposedly the same size as mine was ,but boy it doesnt look the same size empty. i will haveto see when i get home later today it really is! the reasonbeing that i had so much livestock, liverock in the tank one cannot believe that it is really only 50cm long! thanks henk! and to the others who have offered help, i appreciate it !! viva masa!!!

21. jacquesb

Brilliant to hear! Spread the word! MASA is all about goodness!

Recent Posts