Help building a wave maker

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by nico.m.ferreira, 1 Sep 2009.

1. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

Good day every one.

I am looking for some advice on wave makers.
    I haven't seen one in a shop yet and was wondering if it is possible to build your own and how to do it? (luckly my diy skills aren't to bad)

What advantaghes does a wave maker have in the tank?
    Or were can I get more info on it?

Regards Nico.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    As I got it, proper waves generate different stresses on the glass. Therefor you cannot just change any tank into a wave tank. Especially on the two opposite sides.

4. Pugsly

Pugsly

tank are mostly designed with tollerances, and if you look at the height of the tnk to the actual water level then thats where the tollerences come to play. Basically speaking.

But yes Riaan, I would not go to overboard with the wave height, and then possibly add some more support here and there.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

There are many different types of "WAVE" circulation devices. If you google "carlson surge device" there are explanations on a very easy DIY systems. You will also find a you tube demo on a few of them.

@RiaanP the wave devices i think you are referring two are the surge type devices. These include the Carlson Wave device, Tunze wave boxes, Polorus etc. When installing these devices consideration to the tank structure is a priority.

Other devices that are obtainable at most Marine LFS are the ones that control internal circulation "stream pumps". Some are very simple and others like the Tunze and Hydor very sophisticated. Most of the better aquarium controllers have a system to control these stream pumps some changing from calm waters to stormy seas. For these devices there is not an impact on the tank structure that one should worry over.

A very simple DIY wave system can be done with a few stream type pumps on a timer you buy at builders. The only problem is that you cant switch them very often as the impellers take a hammering.

6. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira Thread Starter

Thanx for the advice.
    So basicaly the wave makers are to improve sirculation within the aquarium?
    I asume it will be a better idea to go out and buy a wave maker?
    Any idea on the price one can expect?

My tank is 1.76 long 0.5m wide and 0.6m high.
    Any advice on the strengt of the wave maker I can look at.
    I will try and post pics of the tank asap so you can have a beter idea what it looks like.

Recent Posts