Help Brenda, I think I am in trouble!

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by MarkH, 12 Mar 2012.

1. MarkH

MarkH

Hi Brenda, please help. I was at my lfs over the weekend and noticed a really beautiful but distressed H. Magnifica. Better judgement left me and I decided to take her home and attempt to revive her. It isn't working out too well so far and I really want to do everything I can.

Just some details about my setup, I haven't really posted much on the forum. My tank is about 7 years old, I have 3 x 250w halides over a 1.2m, 450mm deep display. My parameters are spot on, no nitrates nor ammonia and I do a 50% water change monthly with NSW. My corals are growing like mad and fish are in good shape.

After dripping the nennie for about an hour I put her in a quiet corner under one of the halides with gentle flow. Initially I was chuffed, she puffed up and started moving upwards, obviously looking for more light. My pair of clowns found her and made themselves at home tending to her nicely and she appeared happy. The next morning when my lights came on (after 8 hours off) she looked dreadful, completely deflated and starting to bleach more. I changed my lighting timing and left the main lights on permanently. I also partitioned off the tank and seperated her from the clowns, with her body so deflated I was worried they may hurt her, and suspected they may have been a bit rough on her through the night. Since then she has recovered a little, inflated more and her colour getting darker. What is really worrying me is her mouth, she is gaping and is quick to deflate. She is about 7 inches round, and her mouth is never closed and droopy, about 3/4 inch open. I have tried to feed her phytoplankton, bloodworm, silverside and marine mix in very small portions but she isn't taking the food to her mouth.

Other than nuking her with light, how else can I get this girl back and what are the sucess rates with these beautiful creatures?

Thanks and kind regards,
    Mark

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. red pepper

red pepper

look for Hermanus's thread from Harrismith

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As Viper said, do not burn the anemone with lights.

And just let it be for a day or 2. If it does not take one type of food, it will not take another.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited: 13 Mar 2012
  6. MarkH

MarkH Thread Starter

Well, day 2 of the rescue attempt. I've put the lighting back to it's original setting and she has responded very well, not so deflated any more and looking darker. Her mouth is still very, very loose. I've tried her with fish roe and no joy. Fussy chick this. Not even caviar works. I'll try post pics in the morning so you can see what shape she's in.

7. belindamotion

Hope these size portions helps you with the Feeding of you'r sick Nennie...
    Feeding Anemones - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 14 Mar 2012
  8. MarkH

MarkH Thread Starter

As promised here are some pics of the fussy chick. She really is worrying me, and her effect on the sarcophyton next to her is worrying - I think after changing the lighting cycle it took a bashing, it is doing a self frag into 5 and started that a few weeks back, now she is also sad - I'm not sure if it's chemical warfare or just that I left the sun on too long!

I took the first pic about 5 mins after lights off. This is what I saw on the first day and what made me panic. All her arms deflated. Not good.

The second is after lights on, she fills out nicely.

Third is her mouth. She is expelling a very black transparent ball of something - it looks like food, dunno what her last meal was but ugh. I'd also spit it out.

Last one is of my makeshift barrier and somewhat irritated clowns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Mar 2012
  9. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

@MarkH
    I had a similar experience although the nennie was as not as bad, here's what I can suggest and based only in my experience,
    try feeding small pieces of mussel, not more than a cm, place on its tentacle close to its mouth and let it take it in, do not place food in it's mouth. feed every second day. In my opinion, it's coloration isn't that bad so there may be hope still.
    Good luck with nursing this beauty back to health.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. MarkH

MarkH Thread Starter

Jeez these clowns are creative. Goodness knows how but they got through the glass barrier. I'm going to leave them for a bit to love the nennie for a bit, then chase them away later if she sulks - they seem to make her close her mouth from massaging it.

Thanks for your message GMan, her colour is really improving. I'll be a bit more creative with feeding her, is it safe to assume the darker the meat fed the better nutritional value?

So far I've tried sardine flesh, salmon roe, bloodworm and mussel but I'm thinking of trying out the bits of shad I normally throw away after cleaning. Nice and dark meat, gooie too.

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Have a water change prepared. The neni may spawn clouding the tank.

Just be prepared.

12. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Agree with Nemo

13. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Stick with Hake for now if you can, mussel may have contaminates as its a filter feeder..

14. MarkH

MarkH Thread Starter

To be on the safe side I've been running carbon from day 1, and skimming very wet - the nennie has definitely changed the tank condition with its bioload, lots more skimmate than normal. She took a very small piece of mussel tonight, I'm stoked!

15. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Good to hear it's taking food, if you skimming wet, you will get a lot more skimmate, is it light or dark in color? the skimmate that is..

16. MarkH

MarkH Thread Starter

Update... This morning she looks great!

I can't say she's eaten anything - I suspect she spat out the bit of mussel, or else my peppermint shrimp stole it - either way the shrimp and a bristleworm were having a tug of war over it.

17. MarkH

MarkH Thread Starter

[​IMG]

18. MarkH

MarkH Thread Starter

I've read on wetweb that the h magnifica is one of the most difficult nennies to keep, and that their mouth is not necessarily an indication of health, and gaping is normal. Is this correct?

19. Leon1975

Leon1975

howzit mark, i honestly believe that nature took its course with your anenomie, some times we mariners stress to fast and to easy they are all annimals and believe me just like us humans they have a very strong will to sevive great looking anenomie, i think they are the most amazing animals in the sea

20. belindamotion

She looks much better...:thumbup:..all that is left now.. is for you to Nennie Proof you'r Tank...:blush:...
    Cover powerheads - karensroseanemones.net
    A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones

Magnificent Sea Anemone, Ritteri Anemone, Sea Anemone Facts and Sea Anemone Pictures of Heteractis magnifica

Last edited: 17 Mar 2012
  21. belindamotion

No...I don't believe it is "normal"...I can't agree with that...All Sites say that the mouth is an excellent indicator to the health of the Nennie..and definately should not be gaping
    Magnificent Sea Anemone, Ritteri Anemone, Sea Anemone Facts and Sea Anemone Pictures of Heteractis magnifica

A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones

Last edited: 17 Mar 2012
Recent Posts