Help at last!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Reeferboy, 11 Mar 2009.

1. Reeferboy

Reeferboy

Hi all - this is my first post, and damn I wish I'd found this forum earlier ! There is so much awesome information on here so thanks to everyone for all their contributions.

I reluctantly inherited a 1.2m tank about 3 months ago, which I have now eventually seeded with live rock, cycled and stocked with the original critters that vacationed at the pet shop. Since I've set it up I tend to get to work late, pop home during my lunch hour and duck off home early. Even before the fish went in I would sit staring at the rocks n stuff -the wife thinks I have completely lost my mind. Luckily I stumbled on this community here and found I am not alone in my obessession. I was getting worried there for a while...

It's a fish only set up at the moment, but I want to change that. First priority is making sure the life thats in there now is looked after and happy before adding anything new to the mix. This brings me to some questions that I hope you can help with :

I have 3 different species of clowns in there - they are Amphiron Ocellaris, Premnas biaculeatus and Amphiron Clarkii ( thanks to your fish ID pages ). The latter having a major attitude problem- he really seems unhappy ( not that I am an expert on fish psychology) . I want to stock anemones to keep these guys happy - any specific advice on which ones to avoid and which ones to get? They are probably very fussy about hosting...- also I have a couple of goby's and one butterflyfish. Is that butterfly fish gonna chow my new expensive anemones?

Secondly - at the moment lighting is via 2 x 75cm fluorescent tubes which are 1 daylight/white and 1 actinic. Is this sufficent to sustain anemones and (later) corals? I've been to a few pet stores - they are quite keen to sell me the R12 000 lighting rigs... I see divorce looming.

Thanks ! Any advice would be great. :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa
    be carefull about anemones, they are very hard to keep and require good water conditions and lots of light. so your current lighting is not good enough for them or the corals for that matter, sorry to say. Your clowns dont need anemones to be happy, and i think you might want to re-home some of the clowns and stick to just one particular type or they will fight soon;)

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome Dude.

See you in Little Falls, I am around the corner in Randpark Ridge, give me a shout if require any help/advice.

Ps: You have loads of LFS in your area ;)

5. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy it here. Please don't put anemones in your tank until your tank has matured for at least 9 months. Anemones are very delicate creatures and need strong light and excellent water quality to thrive. Like Scuba said, take out some of the clowns as they will fight - clowns can be very aggressive and territorial.
    Please post us your water parameters, and pics of your setup.
    Also read through my signature as there is some great info for beginners! ;)

Happy learning! And don't be shy to ask questions :)

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

masahello

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, ReeferBoy! Welcome to like-minded crazy people who obsess with water, rock, sand, detritus, living sticks, and FISH! ;)

Awesome to have you on-board!

Please post some pics of what you have at this stage? Also - please elaborate on your tank design, sump design, what skimmer you have, what lighting, in-tank pumps/powerheads, etc....

Many thanks - and good luck! Enjoy your journey into marines! It's an AMAZING world!

9. seank

seank

Do you have a sump/skimmer/ some sort of filtration???

BTW,welcometomasa

10. Reeferboy

Reeferboy Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for the welcome and advice - the last thing I wanna do is kill something due to my ignorance ! So it's good to learn - always.

I'll update some of my details on tank size and filtration setup asap. I am using a skimmer but have no idea what type - this has just given me yet another excuse to leave work early ! Thanks !

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

a good idea is to visit some established tanks :)

have a look at Warr's its a marvel

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Just to echo the others: WELCOME to MASA and to the hobby :thumbup:

You can build your own metal halide lighting system for under R1000.00 if you are prepared to DIY - it's easy, and we will gladly help/advise.

Hennie

13. Reeferboy

Reeferboy Thread Starter

OK I see the general jist of things is " slowly slowly catch a monkey" . So I know now I need to def upgrade lighting before I can move in any corals or nemmies. Researching and saving ...

The tank has been at it's current location for 3 months now - I inherited it and moved it in stages, but all of the original rock was kept wet and loaded in within 24 hours. I also added some new LR at that time. I am assuming that most of the biofilter survived because I've had no real "new tank" spikes. All original fish survived the move ( they were housed at LFS for a few weeks ) - I've only added a shrimp.

Water quality is stable - I am running a sump that has/large ceramics/small ceramics/ a Made in Taiwan skimmer/ 2 heaters/and bio balls. The / indicates the order of the sections from right to left. Is a DSB preferred over ceramics, with view to turning a FOWLR into a proper reef tank within the next few months? Can you use both a DSB and ceramics or is that just dumb?

The skimmer seems to work OK - I see loads of posts about avoiding cheap chinese skimmers and using better ones - how do I know if my skimmer is NOT working as effectivley as it should. I suppose it would show up in water tests? But as I say - all is stable so maybe no need to doubt it - if it aint broke don't fix it right?
    I am gonna try and get photos asap so that I can track the progress of this obssession...dreaming of coral it's pathetic!

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, absolutely. Remove all ceramics and bioballs if you are going to run a coral reef tank and sump/DSB. But remove them slowly, a handful a week.

I'm assuming you are running a Jebo skimmer, yes they do kinda work but they are hugely underpowered for reef tanks and simply do not perform like we need them to. Once you invest in a decent skimmer you will see the difference for yourself ;)

Please try and get some photo's uploaded, then we can see what is going on and guide you from there.:)

15. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

:lol:you crack me up!! The addiction has really kicked in...

16. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

I bought myself a neat pendant with 2x 150w MH's& 2x T5's for R3000 about 5 months ago, would probably go for nearly R4000 nowadays. Still a BIG bargain!

17. Warr7207

Warr7207

What brand Mtroboer ?

18. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

The foam in the neck of the skimmer should become darker in colour within a few minutes of switching the skimmer on.

Your skimmer should be generating at least 20% of it's skimmer cup of DARK green/brown/black skimmate per day, and a thick (5-10mm) layer of "crud" in the neck of the cup and inside of the lid every week (and you should clean it at least every week - twice a week would be much better...).

Believe me, the only good use of a Jebo skimmer is if you fill it with sand and use it as a door stop :whistling:

Hennie

19. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

20. RUAN

RUAN

:welcometomasa:

21. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Recent Posts