jelly Clown
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question regarding weekly water changes. Here is my senario:

My last test on PH = 8.3 14/06/08
ALK = 2.8 ppm
Nitrite = 0.1 ppm
Natrate = 0.2 ppm
Ammonia = 0
Then I did a 10% water change on 21/06/08.
Now all parametres is way out. tested water (23/06/08)
PH = 8.2
Alk = 2.4 ppm
Nitrite = 1 ppm
Natrate = 5 ppm
Ammonia = 0.5 ppm
Is this normal after water changes or am I doing something wrong?
I am using RO water for water changes and top up, and sera's red sea salt to mix.
Clean carbon (1500g) in bag every 2nd night) no bio balls no external filter, just Display tank with sump.

Equipment:
ts-1 skimmer
sump with DSB
total system is 350L
8 x T5 54W

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Theo - here's the possible causes:
- high TDS of RO water
- some baddies in the Synthetic salt you are using
- testing kits are faulty

So - take some water to a fellow reefer, or a LFS, to have them test the water as well.
If it still shows these "strange parameters", then have the RO water TDS measured.

In the end - try a different salt brand!

Reaction score
mek, what are the disadvantages of using a lot of carbon? i'm running 700g in 2 bags, system is +- 400l

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Not sure of the disadvantages of using too much carbon but I agree with Mekaeel, a cupful or two replaced every 2 weeks will be fine for your tank.

What test kits are you using to test your parameters? Also do you know what the TDS is of your RO water?

Reaction score
All carbon does leach phosphates too so I would think the more carbon you use the more phosphates will be leached.

Reaction score
Seachems Matrix Carbon claims to leach the least possible phosphates of all.Leachable Phosphate<0.00001 g/cc

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see you do not post a test for phosphates, do you test for this? The Alk alone is not in line what a decent salt should give you. I would first of all have my results verified to see that it is not the test kit. Agree with the guys that is way to much AC you are wasting your money. A decent carbon in that size tank you should be able to run with 200g every second week. Test the TDS of the RO as suggested by Jacques and then alo mix a batch of fresh salt mix and do your test on that, you should be able to puzzle out the problem.