Help and Advice

Discussion in 'New Members' started by DeanKoupe, 24 Aug 2010.

1. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe

Hi everyone.

Im new to this site, and Im very interested in getting a marine tank.

Im looking for help and advice of the pro's and cons of going marine???

Can anyone help?
    Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!;) the best advice i can give you is to read, read and read!
    there is so much info on this forum.have a look at some of the threads and research everything before jumping into anything.
    ask lots of quistions...thats what this forum is all about;)

4. crispin

crispin

hello dean and welcome to masa:)

getting a marine system is great fun, a number of challenges and it can be daunting to start with. there really is alot to learn.

but if you plan the tank and understand what it is you want to achieve there is almost nothing that cant be achieved.

very often people hear about marines as being difficult, expensive and time consumeing and it can indeed be all three if you dont know what you are doing. on masa you'll find a passionate bunch of people dedicated to helping each other look after marine creachures and we have pretty much done every mistake known by know. So if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask. here you get the considered opinion of a number of people all advising you whats best for your tank, and not whats best for a shops sales.

do you have a tank in mind, as in size and what you would like to achieve? is there a specific place in the house you want to have the tank and what dimensions are they so we can see what sort of tank you should look at getting.

if you give us a little info we can help you along the road into a beautiful reef in your home :)

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Con.
    It is an expensive hobby, especially if you do not do your research first before you rush into any quick transaction. But you will safe yourself loads of R and worries if you use this forum first to ask questions, and remember, Google is your friend.

Pro, not a lot of other hobbies out there where you can learn something new everyday. And it is like an addiction.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2010
  6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Dean welcome to MASA, you starting out the right way by asking questions first.

7. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

I was in Wild on Pets on Friday,and I saw their Marine setup. I find it to be soo much more interesting and entertaining than a tropical aquarium.

I saw they had a REDSEA MAX 130, I liked this aquarium alot, because it is a complete package with everything. The only concern is the size,is it to small to have a decent setup?

I will be putting it in my bedroom.

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome once again to MASA Dean.

Why not also try visit some of our other Sponsors and see what they have to offer vs what you want.

Once you know what you want it makes things alot easier to find direction.

In JHB theres Idol marine, Wild on pets and Jungle aquatics.
    In Pta, if you willing to travel a little more theres Pet stop and Dorry Pets. alll very good.

Heres the link to our sponsors. Sponsors Forums - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

And remeber to ask questions.... lots of them!

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

Those Red Sea MAx aquariums are fantastic little setups. The RSM 130 is 130 litres and is a fairly decent sized tank for a beginner, if you like the size of this tank then you can't go wrong with it, however, with a tank this size you will not be able to have certain fish so it would be best to research your fish options carefully before buying them, if you are determined to have some of the bigger fish then you will have to look at a bigger tank. For a 130 litre tank you could probably have 5 or 6 very nice fish in there with some corals and so on.

10. dropzone newbee

dropzone newbee

welcome to masa Dean :thumbup:

11. DeanKoupe

DeanKoupe Thread Starter

Would you guys suggest me going for a RSM? And what would the maintenance on one of these tanks be like?

Recent Posts