Help. Aiptasia

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been a long time since i posted.

I have a serious Aiptasia problem which i am trying to sort out.

I have been using the red sea Aiptasia X. Just too many.

The only Fish i have in there are two clowns Percula i bought in December.

I tried a Copperband. It was dead a week later.

The beginning of the month i tried two peppermint shrimps. Did a long drip acclimitization. within and hour one was lying dead. never saw the other.

Two weeks later i spoke to the guys at the Shop and he gave me another Peppermint shrimp and i bought one. within an hour one was dead, never saw the other one.

It seems like the clowns are very territorial in addition to my Aiptasia problem???

Some advise would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. 24.9 C , 1.025, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. No other die offs, Tank is matured.
198 liter Capacity inlcluding sump. Use a Skimmer from the TL550 in chamber one of the sump + Charcoal. Chamber two live rock, chamber 3 layer of course arogonite.
Chamber 4 and 5 DSB. Chamber 6 Return pump some LR chards and chemical absorption bag. (forgot the name right now)

Reaction score
Take out the rocks and bleach it. Otherwise persist with nuking them with the aiptasia X.
Once you nuke them they will release spores and multiply if there older them 43 days old. A whole lot of new ones will appear and you'll have to nuke them heifer they reach 43 days old.
How bad is it? Less than 10? 50 or more. Or over 100?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Lots of them. Lots.

Boiling or bleaching the rocks not an option.
Beside the fact that i can't take out and boil 35 odd kg of rock.
They are full of life forms from peanut worms, fan worms, red bubble algae Polyps to bristle stars etc etc

Thanks

Reaction score
i was busy getting rid of these last night.
i used boiling water on a few previously, then pryed them off using the tip of an ear bud (this was with the rock removed from the tank)
Last night i opted for my solder gun, much easier to target each one and ensure they get burned off properly.
Then i added a drop of super glue gel over the site and all is well.

EFJ

Reaction score
This what I'm thinking of going for
I considered a file fish, peppermint shrimps even nudi's and then on my way to purchase a file fish I stopped at my LFS (where I buy quite a bit of my marine stuff) and I told him of my problem. That's where he introduced me to the Silver Scat. At first I was scepticle then he showed me one of his rock tanks which was over run with aiptasia. He placed the Scat in the tank but nothing happened at first but 3 weeks later when I returned the tank was clear no aiptasia what so ever and that convinced me. I bought one for only R45 and till today it is one of my best purchases, my tank is clear and he has a good personality. If you decide to get one make sure it is a SILVER scat as you get different types and be patient as it can take time before it realizes aiptasia is a delecassy.

Reaction score
I had so much in my tank I was considering stripping it down I tried joes juise and aiptasia x but when they in positions like upside down and behind corals its flippen hard and it seemed they multiply if u zap them wrong,so than I tried the natural root I started with peppermint and to me they are useless and than a copperband and than it was unbelievable they are like a machine ate everything and my tank was invested and also the small angel called a jumping bean also nails them.

Reaction score
EFJ i heard the same of a reefer that used a silver scat can u post a pic witch one u use its a freshwater fish that u convert to salt? am i right

Reaction score
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]y-E9nIjBoQw[/MEDIA]"]How to kill and remove Aiptasia for Free - YouTube[/ame]
I know this is a old post. But this really helped me a lot today. Used a lekker big syringe from clicks and boiling water. Boom gone aiptasia.

Reaction score
Seems like you can get the Silver Scat in just about any pet store, not just marine ones.

Seems pretty hardy, easy to keep, they eat just about anything, so they will help keep the tank clean.

Top Bottom