HELP: Advice on Powerlab Skimmers

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by 4age, 21 Dec 2011.

1. 4age

4age

Hi Guys

I have been offered a Powerlab skimmer for my future marine tank (Previous build had to be camcelled).

Looking at running a 500-700litre system. Someone has offered me a powerlab skimmer with bubble plate, and laguna pump with mesh wheel impellor, which he says is rated for 1000litres which i can get from the owner for under R2000..is this a good skimmer? anyone have any experience with these?

I have contacted the company, who said that particular skimmer was upgraded by them...and cost the owner about R4000 in 2010..seems their prices on the new skimmers have come down alot...im not sure if i must pay slightly more for the 2nd hand upgraded skimmer, or buy a new skimmer rated for 750litres for R999.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zayd

zayd

I have one. Great skimmer. I don't like mesh wheel impellor though - too much maintenance.

So, will be changing the pump to a needle wheel.

Otherwise, an awesome skimmer. Running mine on a 1500 litre system.

4. 4age

4age Thread Starter

do you have to clean the impellor often on a mesh wheel pump? you reckon i should take the 2nd hand upgarded skimmer for under R 2000 then?

5. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

Hi there

Just my personal opinion, some hardware is best purchased new. I know you can clean up the skimmer and put on another pump redo the seals etc etc, but with price level you mentioned its best to pay a couple hundred more and get a new skimmer saving time and at least you will get a gaurantee. Reef Octopus OCTX-160 will do the job for around R2500 or less

The skimmer is the engine in the reef tank, so you dont want to have any issues with a skimmer and want it to skim from day one.

6. zayd

zayd

I have to redo mine every 6 months.

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Mesh Wheels clog up regularly, need regular replacement too. Was a gripe with ATI customers, hence them developing the new style gridwheel.
    [​IMG]

Laguna pumps are really good and reliable, not familiar with the powerlab skimmers though. Personally I would agree with oceanseeker, rather get something new!

Last edited: 21 Dec 2011
Recent Posts