Help about mantis shrimp

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Jason.Ribeiro, 21 Dec 2011.

1. Jason.Ribeiro

Jason.Ribeiro

I'm new to having an aquarium and I really enjoy it. I've been hearing these clicking noises similar to that of a scrape. I have been beginning to notice a lot of holes and tunnels formed in my live rock. I have been looking on the internet and i have found that the noises come from what is called a "Mantis Shrimp" and it's burrowing through my live rock. I would like to know how i can get rid of it besides pouring soda water, fresh water or boiling water into the tunnels/holes because I'm told, by my lfs, that in doing so I would have to begin the "curing" process all over again. Please could you help me... I'm clueless at the moment... Thank you.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. finrott

finrott

Have you seen it yet? More than likley it is just a pistol shrimp (Which is harmless) I have loads of them in my system...Can you post a pic of the burrows in the live rock? Any fish in the system? How long has ur tank been running for? Please dont stress until you actually see the bugger...

4. Jason.Ribeiro

Jason.Ribeiro Thread Starter

How would i get a pistol shrimp into my rock? My tanks has been runing for almost 3 weeks now, my nitrite and nitrate levels have been 0 for 2 of the 3 weeks and i have a sand sifting star fish, i think it's a goby, a firecracker shrimp, and some other shrimp and 2 blue clawed hermit crabs. i found my little hermit crab shell in a burrow and his legs had been ripped out of the shell and they were laying on the sand bed?? would my shrimp do this ? I have been looking up a lot of stuff recently on websites and other forums and all clues lead to the mantis shrimp... people say the pistol shrimp noises have more of a rhythm to them. I'll post some pictures from my camera tomorrow, i have to up load them, some burrows go right through on of my rocks.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2011
  5. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

The hermit is not dead :thumbup: Just moulting! I made the same mistake in the beginning!

6. erratiC

erratiC

Lol, I'd love to know how many people have fallen for that one - I've also fallen for it by the way :p

Back to the OP, I also hear clicking/tapping every now and then coming from my tank - I've never seen a shrimp in my tank and it's been going for a year so I'm assuming its either one of my hermits or my wrasse maybe.

7. salty dog

salty dog

Try to have a look at night with some red celophane covering a torch. The red light does not bother them.

8. salty dog

salty dog

O yes and until you actually loose something, don't stress. :)

9. erratiC

erratiC

Do they eat starfish?

Mine went missing :(

10. SteveZi

SteveZi

there's also the chance that it was indeed eaten if there's a mantis shrimp in there..
    ..hope not!
    They've been showing a doccie on Mantis shrimps on NatG - Dstv. Interesting buggers.

I think if you spend time in front of your tank, you have to see it, if it's there(the mantis).

11. salty dog

salty dog

@erratiC not as far as I know. If it's also a sand sifter then it's probably just under the sand somewhere. I also stressed a lot in the beginning but then learned that stressing does not help and most of the time it is for nothing anyway. We need to let our 'children' grow up without us interfering all the time and everything will be ok. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. finrott

finrott

Well how did your mantis shrimp get into your tank? Same way a pistol shrimp would.....;)Mine make such a noise that it sounds like a rock has dropped to the bottom of the tank

13. Jason.Ribeiro

So I bought the pistol shrimp inside my rock? And yes my hermit is dead. it hasn't moved in days now. and the shell is empty and one of my rocks are almost hollow.... Do pistol shrimps burrow like that?? :banghead: This is frustrating :(

14. SteveZi

SteveZi

If you can reach the burrow - on the tv programs they used a small mirror to lure the mantis out of its burrow. It comes out to investigate its reflection as a possible intruder.
    first test this - don't try to catch it, just to confirm it's there.

15. roderigo

roderigo

Iv got a pistol shrimp in my tank and they way I find him is when I here that noise I look at my snails then the one that is running away the fastest then I know he is in that rock coz he does not like the snails to crawl over his rock

16. finrott

finrott

i think ur jumping the gun a bit...nothing wrong with pistol shrimps... come come give us a pic of the tank

17. Jason.Ribeiro

It's not letting me upload a picture of my fish tank.... I'll try again later. But it's a 130 liter nano-cube with 9.4kg's live rock (or maybe less now) and 1 mushroom coral and another coral which has a hole in it and i think is now dead. My mushroom coral has a gray slimy bulb on it and i don't what it is.

18. finrott

finrott

Sounds more like a crab issue to me... check this out..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Dec 2011
  19. finrott

finrott

This was my tank in 2007... note the big hole on the right hand side of my organ pipe. Heres the bugger i pulled out:
    [​IMG]

20. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

With the Image Uploader you still have to figure out the trick with re-sizing...that is probably what you are experiencing...if not...then the other problem can be that you are uploading via Image Uploader and still not seeing the picture...usually that happens when you are using Internet Explorer....if you just scroll to the top of the page, you will see you'r picture...you then just copy and paste into the reply box...

I find this way is better...no resizing "head scratching" issues...:p
    Open an Album...click on you'r Profile...on the far Right you will get option to open an Album...open one and load onto there...."green square" ontop...it will show "upload photo'... when you have created the Album...when you upload into the Album you won't have any resizing requirements....hope this helps...then when you Post...you just.."insert" from Album...by copy and paste...make sure the Curser in in a new line...

Jason.Ribeiro likes this.
  21. Jason.Ribeiro

Okay... I got a Yellow Wrasse today and now it's disappeared? When i put it in the tank today my one shrimp went near it and it had gone under the sand... I called my lfs and they said thats what it does and i asked about the mantis shrimp and he told me to take all my rock out and poke in every hole and burrow to find it.... he also told me that Pistol shrimp only burrow low in the rock and then in the sand bed... and the holes i have have been formed from the mantis shrimp so he says. Though i have not found it I have come up with a plan to determine which rock it is inside. Hopefully i find the thing and my little fishy :(

Recent Posts