Hello

Reaction score
Hello there masa thanks alot for all the people involved in the site , all i can say is it is brilliant. I learn more here than any other book , lfs, books, sites etc. I am totally new at the hobby and is busy evaluating all my options. I have a 750 l tank and is busy building the sump . I live in heidelberg in the south cape so is using the net and books a lot for info ( no lfs nearest 200 km away).

I would like to know if anybody had build the algae with lights filter that were featured a while a go and if it worked well please as mi considered it.

Thank you all glad that i subscribed!!!!!

Welcome to MASA Henniepine, hope you enjoy your stay. Please tell us more on the size tank you got and what your future plans are, meaning what do you aim to keep etc. If you got pictures, show us - we love those :p

Welcome to MASA :)

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA Hennie! AWESOME to have you on-board! 1st time having someone from Heidelberg in the Cape on-board! GREAT to have you on-board! Thanks for joining us man!

Sounds like you have your head screwed on RIGHT! Good on you for first doing a LOT of research - AND for joining us!

Sounds like your tank is going to be awesome! Please post some pics!?!??!

What skimmer do you have in mind?
What are you planning on keeping?

What power-heads do you have in mind for water flow?

BTW: take into account that many of our sponsors actually ship goods AND life stock to remote members! Please keep them in mind when doing your "shopping list"...

Please be patient! Patience pays VERY WELL in this hobby.... otherwise you might JUST end up paying VERY expensive "school fees" in "doing the wrong thing too fast"!

Please ask questions here BEFORE making any decision, or before spending any MORE money! Believe me - it WILL be worth it in the end!

Good luck in your journey! Enjoy every step of the way,....... just take into account that "only bad things happen quickly in this hobby"!

Thanks all

What skimmer do you have in mind?
I actually Thought no skimmer as i read about the algae screen concept sounds very promising as i was getting plans for a diy skimmer in any case!

What are you planning on keeping?
soft and hard corrals with a few fish

What power-heads do you have in mind for water flow?
From my research sounds very important so still thinking on it,

BTW: take into account that many of our sponsors actually ship goods AND life stock to remote members! Please keep them in mind when doing your "shopping list"
...thank you will do.

Good luck in your journey! Enjoy every step of the way,....... just take into account that "only bad things happen quickly in this hobby"!
Thank you for advice appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hennie, the algae scrubber as advertised by Santa Monica does work very well BUT you should know a hell of a lot more about the hobby before you go down that route, i suggest you use a skimmer for a few years so you can learn much more about fish husbandry, then you will be able to judge whether or not the algae scrubber will work for you.

Jaquesb nice to see a few reefers in ct

What system do you have and were do you shop in ct ?

I like your advice thank you will try to post pics

Thank you

Thanks Mike

Yea i thought there might be a catch for someone like me that dont know a lot yet!

Do you think it is a good idea to build my skimmer myself I am quite handy and having a lot of irrigation pipes and pumps for various purposes available I thought i will built it myself!

Thanks for the advice

Thanks Mike

Yea i thought there might be a catch for someone like me that dont know a lot yet!

Do you think it is a good idea to build my skimmer myself I am quite handy and having a lot of irrigation pipes and pumps for various purposes available I thought i will built it myself!

Thanks for the advice

Again, the science might be tricky, but if you fancy it, there are a few skimmer self builds on here that work very well, but remember that salt water is actually very corrosive, only use reef safe materials, such as glass, ABS class C PVC, buy the materials after you have asked the question on here, it can help to understand the science to do your own stuff.

Welcome hennie - and good luck with your marine adventure.

We love pics here at MASA so try and post some - I only joined a week or two ago, but been in the hobby for more than a decade. Other than your skimmer and patience this site is probably the most valuable thing you need.

Also try and view the pics of people giving you advice. that way you know what you are dealing with. Heres mine.. New member saying hello with pics - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

welcome hennie
e_1_61.gif
Hello there masa thanks alot for all the people involved in the site , all i can say is it is brilliant. I learn more here than any other book , lfs, books, sites etc. I am totally new at the hobby and is busy evaluating all my options. I have a 750 l tank and is busy building the sump . I live in heidelberg in the south cape so is using the net and books a lot for info ( no lfs nearest 200 km away).

I would like to know if anybody had build the algae with lights filter that were featured a while a go and if it worked well please as mi considered it.

Thank you all glad that i subscribed!!!!!

750 L is a lot of tank welcome to MASA well help you with your tank and we will give you some good advise

Jaquesb nice to see a few reefers in ct

What system do you have and were do you shop in ct ?

I like your advice thank you will try to post pics

Thank you

Hi Hennie - I have 2 tanks. One 2 metre garden reef tank, and my other tank I have 2 sea-horses in.

There are a few places in Cape Town where I go to - some of them being sponsors of MASA, and others not.

Here are the sponsors in Cape Town:
- Sam's Aquarium
- Aquality
- (one more - I can't remember the name)

Non-sponsors:
- Aqua Concepts
- Northern Aquatics
- Exotic Reefs

Hi Hennie and welcome! Why not still run a skimmer of sufficient size and add the algae screen as additional filtering? This will filter most nitrates and phosphates resulting from the gunk that makes it past the skimmer, just make sure you trim it regularly!:wave2:

Thank you amalick

Looked at your pics and i can see you are there

Really nice setup i am sure you enjoye it alot

Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom