Hello...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Felconian, 3 May 2013.

1. Felconian

Felconian

Hello Everyone

After years of wanting to have a reef of my own i finally musted up the courage to DIY it. I built my tank with Crystal Clear class and just bought a few new items and started Cycling my tank.

I used tap water and treated it with two Seachem products for 7 days before i put anything in. I am now introducing the sand bed in the sump and the live rock. I also bought a Reef Octo T2 Protien skimmer and some cheep surgpumps for R120 each. I will upgrade this later to good pumps.. but the guy at SAM's Aqurium did tell me these are disposible(8 months if i am lucky).

I used Aragnite in the Display tank and just put in 14kg of live rock so long... i will aquascape later this week anf add another 10kg...and see were i am at.

How do you get the rocks to stick together????

My return pump is 3500L/h econ pump with a rating of 28 watts(others are 80+) .. I am very excited but i am taking it slow.... and am now look for feedback from the community.

PS: Sam's Aquirium has been great so far with there help...!

My Tank ..so far ==> :D:support:

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorry

Dorry dorry

:welcometomasa2:

4. 3dd

3dd

Hi and welcome

I use a two part epoxy I find at builders warehouse called aquamend, see This for details

5. mitchel

mitchel

Hi welcome nice looking tank good luck with it

6. Bflynn

Bflynn

Nice tank! Good start;) Your overflow pipes are sucking air which is making the noise and contributing to the bubbles in sump. You could add another bend too each pipe facing downwards under the water line.

Good luck! And welcome!!!!

7. crispin

crispin

Hey Felconian and welcome to masa:)

its great to see that youve kicked off that tank and its a good idea to do a vid like that as we can help you far better. Take my comments as being constructive crit, there are a few things you should look to change now before the tank really starts to kick off.

Your overflow box isnt what we generally use anymore. The cunstruction like that leads to good skimming of the surface water which is good, but the drians as you have then lead to a massive amount of noise and air being sucked in, as youve discovered. Im afraid the foam is a short term sollution to a long term problem and you realy need to address the long term issues at this stage. NeilH did a good thread on overflow designs and you'll find a better sollution here http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=19407. Also read this site on durso stand pipes, they are by far the best noise reduction method we have for falling water. http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

the most basic incrediants of salt water, is water and salt. Sounds so stupid and simple to say it like that, but read that one more time.....

now if you want to aim at quality salt water you HAVE to start with quality incrediants in the correct proportions. The biggest stuff up i did as a noob was NOT pay attention to how much salt was in my tank. Its the primary first step to keeping a marine tank. SO YOU HAVE TO GET MEASUREING EQUIPMENT. its as easy as that. You HAVE to know the SG of your tank...even now.

The water you use is of parramount importance and I am afraid tap water is just simply too low quality to be used. Regardless where in the world you come from. That water you have in there (even when treated with a concoction of products) has too many undesirable elements and aspects too it and you are heading to a path of Algae battles and cyano outbreaks that will break your spirit. Im not a betting man, but i can guarentee tap water and some salt added is a recepie which will lead to you breaking the tank down in the end:(

RO water, mixed with a measured amount of quality marine salt is what you need.

Personally i would drain that tank and start again as soon as possible.

I like the look of your sump and it seems to have a good flow over the sand bed . You will need to have a good whack more sand in there for it to be a dsb (deep sand bed) with the sand being about 10-15cm thick. You can of cpourse run it as you have with a shallow sand bed, but thats limiting for your Nitrogen cycle and a waste of space in a sump (imho)

it looks like you have some nice LR but try get the SG and water changed soon so as to preserve the Live that you might have in and on that LR.

8. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

Welcome to Masa

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA @crispin has give you some good info ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Felconian

Felconian Thread Starter

Update on my Tenk!!

Hi Guys

Would like to thank thoughs who took the time to comment. This is the status of my Tank at this point... I would like to add some coral .. Could i get any suggestions ..

And please comment on the tank... I take constructive crit ..very well so dont hold back! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  11. Felconian

Felconian Thread Starter

Update 1

I am now 7 Weeks in .. my tank Started the beiginning of the end of its Cycle at 5 weeks !:p

Last edited: 22 May 2013
  12. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

Hi and :welcometomasa2: to MASA

13. MaximusZA

MaximusZA

Welcome Felconian, good luck with the tank! I am hoping to start mine in the next couple of months. I am interested, did you start again with RO water or are you carrying on with tap water? my problem with RO water is not so much getting it, its transporting 300+ liters from where ever you can get it back to you tank...

14. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

please follow @crispin advise and try change to RO water. really inexpensive compared to how much money you gonna spend in the future trying to combat nuisance algae.

15. Felconian

Felconian Thread Starter

Yea i did ... My other video has not shown up yet .. after i posted it!

16. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

@MaximusZA you are right.. transporting 300l of water is never easy but unfortunately is one of the things we have to deal with if we want to bring the sea to Jo'burg for example :)
    i once saw a very inexpensive 5 stage RO unit going for 999.00. don't remember where but it was definitely in the Jo'burg area. i think its a good investment

17. Felconian

Felconian Thread Starter

Hi MaximusZA .. I had the same issue just with 550L so i used Tap water ... but used this products ..Seachem Prime & Stability ... However the i am only 8 weeks into the tank ...the new video should appear anytime now on the site .. I have had no Phosphate spike from the tap water... however i did get a RO unit and did a 60% change using RO water ... my topups are with RO as well ... As much as the reps of seachem said i did not have to use RO water ... i feel the advice from poeple who have been doing it for a while hold considerable merrit.

I will be doing large RO water changes for the next 2-3 changes!

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

@Felconian.. just finished watching your first video. your tank looks very good and your setup is very neat. great DIY job. did you manage to find a solution for the noisy overflow or are you still using the sponges. im asking because i also need a solution for that

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.

You're off to a good start, but I think you need to possibly start using a different pet shop, being told to buy 8 mollies to cycle a tank is definitely not on, some even consider it to be downright cruel, the tank would have cycled quite fine without a fish, but what's happened has happened, let's not harp on it and move on. :) Your heater sounds very peculiar, starting at 26 and ending at 34? Most aquarium heaters start at around 19 or 20. An ideal temperature for a reef tank is generally around 25/26, so I would definitely consider looking at buying a different heater. Apart from that, overall your setup is looking good, need to try and get rid of those bubbles coming out the pipe though, they will cause a lot of salt creep. I'm useless at plumbing so hopefully someone else will help you with that. Enjoy the hobby, your tank will soon be full of colourful fish and corals. :)

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Have you got any ball valves on the down pipes?

21. Felconian

Felconian Thread Starter

Hi HOT SAUCE

No not realy but i think the solution to that is in building a new overflow... I am getting the glass later this week and will make the change... but for now Spong it is!

Recent Posts