Hello

Reaction score
Hello people, new to the site but not completely to marines. Was over at SAReefkeeping until I got banned today for:

You have been banned for the following reason:
bad attitude, profile incomplete, location and aquarium Date the ban will be lifted: 03-04-2008, 08:00 AM
It sparked coz one off there members said my Aquascaping sucked and that i should remove all my SandStone and replace it with Live Rock (This would cost me about R2000-4000's worth off Live Rock) in my thread. My new Tank is only about 3 Days old and still sorting itself out. Anyways if i want to use SandStone I believe I should be able to make that decision without having to be told "No you are wrong remove it all!" or having the fear off being banned for using it as other reefers have had much success with it. Anyways i hope to receive a more welcomed and understanding community here otherwise i give up with SA Reefkeeping Online Community's

Hi Storm,

Warm Welcome to MASA.

Although it is a pity about the circumstances that caused you to join up.

Thanks, and I only found out about this community after my ban from my friend, hopefully things will go better here then there.

56047cc21d1cbc45.jpg

um, my guy ! I read your posts as Madcat and as Storm, one thing about forums is that we all started at one point or another, some of us really researched for months then started up, some started on impulse and had to learn the hard way.

You won't find anyone on a forum who will give bad advice intentionally, we are all here to help in our own way. Some advice you will get is good, some is dodge. At the end of the day you have to take the advice given to you, adapt it to your circumstances, setup and budget and then apply it.

I think if you keep the same attitude you have always adopted you will fail miserably at this hobby and kill a lot of corals and livestock, if you listen, learn and apply you will have great success..

I hope you choose the latter

Welcome to MASA.

Um MadCat? my nickname is Storm last i checked. I think you guyz have me mixed up with someone else. As for the advice, the only one who gave decent advice was palmerac. Anyways i want nothing to do with SARK nor there attitude towards new members on there Forums. There wassant even a valid reason for my ban, not even a warning so they can do as they like.

OK then.. easy cowboy.

How can the guys help ? do you have a question? Post some pics.

Muz

Welcome Man! Hope you enjoy the stay. Give us some details of your system and maybe we can help out. I wouldn't say they were completely wrong about the sandstone as live rock is 10 times better.

Hi Storm, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, anyway, tell us a bit about your tank, show us some pics and let us share in the birth of your new marine tank :thumbup:

To start off, sandstone is not ideal but it can be used, if you can then it is best to try and supplement it with some Fiji, Indonesian, Kenyan etc. Live Rock, it costs a whack but it is worth it in the long run, even if you just buy one piece a month. With different types of rock in your tank you get a nice variety of different forms of life. Couple that with a nice Deep Sand Bed and I reckon you'll be well on your way to a nice tank.

So...show us what you got :)

Yea but I mentioned I couldn't afford so much off it (Live Rock) and would purchase it at a later stage, besides I said im using sandstone, they could have just helped me with what i had instead off telling me to chuck it all. I meen other Reefers have had success with it so why cant I?

As for pictures im still waiting for my lid and footpiece to be finished, once i have them on ile post pictures. Its a 250L btw.

As was said, purchase some live rock over a couple months!I would say you can have whatever you like in your display as long as you have one hell of a filttration system. Tell us about your filtration as this is the most important part of your marine setup. Without correct filtration nothing is going to survive and you are going to end up spending loads of money

Yip, live rock costs an absolute fortune, it took me many many months to accumulate the amount I needed :( Every 2 or 3 months I would buy a couple of pieces, I found it really shocking when the LFS picks up ONE piece of live rock and says to me it weighs about 10kg's so will cost me R1000, I almost fell flat on my back.

Anyway, let's forget about what has been said, we have really great members here that will help you every step of the way.

70L Sump + DSB 15cm + I WILL HAVE SOME LIVE ROCK HERE + Heater + Skimmer (Probably a AquaVue Skimmer) + Probably some Bio Balls. Still deciding what to do with what.

Is this what you have or plan on having? Bioballs not a good idea. These will give you some problems in the future

Nah don't have still planning it out on paper, 70L sump with 4 compartments will be completed this weekend, those mentioned above will be the content. Unless someone has a better ones.

What are you planning on keeping Storm? Just fish or corals as well?

It will be 6X T5 Lights. As for Corals ile start slow. Like Green Star Polyps and Zoas

Back
Top Bottom