Hello ppl

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Maxxis, 27 Aug 2011.

1. Maxxis

Maxxis

I'm glad to be a member of this forum and I’m sure that I will learn a lot of useful information from all of you regarding marine aquariums...

Well I’m new on the marine aqurium hobby and I just started to purchase my equipment for a reef tank and I would like to share them with you and get yr comments/recommendations on the same.

My tank is +-500ltrs with a +-120ltrs sump. UV sterilizer is included (9w) and also a pump of 2500ltrs/h. Also a protein skimmer was included (Boyu WG520 - 250ltrs/h) and I have purchased also two double wave makers with a wave adjuster (6000ltrs/h-each)

Regarding the pump I was told that the one provided with the tank is not good enough and better to purchase a new pump of 5000ltrs at least.
    Also I’m planning to purchase a chiller (Teco TR15 - 500-800ltrs/h) which I’m planning to connect it to another pump (which will be installed in the sump) with a flow rate 1500ltrs/h and the water from chiller to be returned again to the sump.

Kindly let me know if the 5000ltrs will be sufficient and also the pump that will send the water to the chiller is also good enough. Any recommends are welcomed

Many thanks in advance for yr assistance
    Marios

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:..any chance of uploading some Pic's...we LOVE pic's..:biggrin:

4. Dlaria

Dlaria

Welcome! I'm new to this, so I'm no help. But I'm glad you came!

5. Seabass

Seabass

Welcome, nice to meet you. Enjoy your stay.

@ Riaan, could you help with questions above.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2011
  6. crispin

crispin

welcome maxxis, great to have you join :) 500l tank is a lovely size to get started on, im sure it will be great fun for you to get into marines, congrats on your first tank. Any chance of giving us the dimensions of your tank so we know what shape it is?

Im not 100% certain you have a sump, do you? or is the filtration section buildt into the back compartment of the tank as such? that return pump of 2500l/h might be a little small, but i wouldnt think its drastically slow. Id be inclined to leave it there and i dont think a 5000l/h pump would be to your advatage, i think that will drain the return area and create additional problems. So stick with that for now.

a chiller is a good investment, i dont know that make, but generally they are connected to a sump area so I am assuing that you have a sump. Try give us a pic of the sump area too so we can help deseign it propperly for you.

best of luck with the tank, ask if you have any questions regardless of how silly they may sound to you. its the small things that make all the difference in marines:)

7. 2balive

2balive

Welcome, enjoy your first tank. 500l is a bit above my pay-grade.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome, i have a nephew in cyprus..

glad to have you aboard...

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Welcome,
    I have an old "floozy" in Cyprus. *sigh* it was nice while it lasted! :p

10. Maxxis

Maxxis Thread Starter

Thank you all for the warm welcome J
    Dear Crispin thanks for yr reply J well the dimensions are as follows: 122x60x70cm
    There is an overflow box in the corner of the aquarium that takes the water to the sump below the tank (dims of this are: 108x29x43.5cm).
    Regarding the pump im a little bit confused. I have read a few articles on the net and they state that the pump must be at least 10 times the capacity of the tank but I have read also some others mentioning that if there is a sump and water pass through skimmer etc then the pump must be 3-4 times the tank capacity. On the other hand the tank itself was made for marine aquarium and pump was selected by manufacturer (suppose they calculated water flow, tank capacity etc????)
    Also a small correction. I have made a mistake with the skimmer . I mentioned that it is 250ltrs/h but actually is 500ltrs/h. Can you tell me if this ok for such a tank or do I need a bigger one?
    I have found photos of the tank and sump which i uploaded (hope you can see them:) ) in order to see how it looks like

Thanks
    Marios

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome dude

12. Myn

Myn

Hey Maxxis.
    Depending on the chiller's pump rating you can use a pump in the return section of your sump to pump the water via the chiller back into your main tank. That's what I'm doing and it works very well. You don't even have to get a separate pump for your chiller if your existing pump is strong enough.

13. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome to Masa.... Great to see some reefers in the Med....:thumbup:

14. Maxxis

Maxxis Thread Starter

thanks Myn but lets say if you have a 400w chiller (500-800ltrs) connected to a pump with capacity of 10000ltrs/h it will be possible for the chiller to cool the water in a period of time or the chiller will work all the time?

Recent Posts