Hello MASA team

Discussion in 'New Members' started by grega, 14 Aug 2010.

1. grega

grega

Hi there guys,

I joined some time back, and just been reading and reading. Some really great info here. So thanks all for posting.

I have finally ditched (sold) my fresh water fish and am busy converting my tank for Marines. It is a Jewel 240, so its not massive but big enough. It has a built in internal filter, that I will continue to use. I have a few basic questions:

I live in Ballito KZN so collecting sea water is easy (and cheaper than mixing), this doesnt seem to be a popular option, but Im keen. Any advice here ?

Aragronite seems to come in 2 variations: Dry and live. The live (wet) is more pricey, is it worth it?

I dont have an overflow nor is my tank drilled, so I wont have a sump. I was going to either get a canster filter or hang on skimmer or both. Which skimmer I dont know, but the something like Reef Octopus BH-1000.

Just like most budget is a concern, so Im all about bang for my buck, and have been keeping an eye out for second hand stuff, but not much luck yet.

Regards
    Greg

PS:A dead whale washed up this morning in Ballito, so wont be collecting sea water there any time soon. :-(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Greg and welcome to MASA, where abouts are you in Ballito? The water here is great for tanks collect at the beach down near the Zimbali gate, have been running my system for 7yrs on water from there, no probs. The Juwel tanks are amazing I have seen them set up at NP and the filtration seems to work exceptionally well. I have yet to see a strand of algae in either of those tanks they have running and the livestock always looks super healthy. Having seen those tanks running with out skimmers why do you want to put a skimmer on the system? I would just stick to the filter maintemance regime as it does work.

4. grega

grega Thread Starter

Hey there Alan, thanks for the welcome.Im in Townsend Rd, excellent news about the water. I will start collecting water at the Zimbali gates too. Re the skimmer, every where you read stuff like: 'The most important piece of equipment in your tank is a Protein Skimmer'. I chatted to the guys at NP and they also rekon no need for a skimmer and I agree thier tanks are the excellent. So maybe I should at least try with out one. cheers Greg

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Personally I don't see how something that is in a sealed plastic bag for possibly months on end can be classified as 'live', but having said that, I too bought the 'live' stuff. Choice is yours I suppose, your sand will soon become live, especially if you are using NSW.

p.s. Welcome to the forum :)

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Grega :)
    I agree 100% with Viper. The only thing I feel that is present in the "Live" sand is lots of bacteria, which quickly helps in the cycling and stabilizing of a tank.
    Oh yes, I also use the live stuff :)

7. johy66

johy66

Hi Alan,i am in the same situation here that is running my 4' FOWLR system with a canister filter. When you say filter maintenance regime could you be more specific as how often, what you do etc. I am a real beginner here and all advice and directions are greatly appreciated.

8. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa greg, great to have you join and there are some excelent reefers from drbs you can meet and chat to, although some of them spend way too much time fishing:)

i agree with mek and as its that bacteria that one really wants anyway so i guess there is some vallue in the live sand, although personally ive never used the product.

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

:whistling:

10. grega

grega Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for the welcome's. So I have now been running my tanks for 2 weeks or so and I eventually bought dry aragronite, - hellish expensive for what effectivly is sand, but at least its the right stuff and it looks great. Hopefully with NSW it wont be too too long before my tank matures. Currently I dont have a skimmer or the canister - which one to buy next ? What is so confusing as Alan was saying the tanks at NP are great and they dont have skimmers, if you go in and ask the guys there they say dont worrry with a skimmer, but if you look at thier site a skimmer is a must have, and seems that most guys on MASA run skimmers.
    Althought my tank has just water and aragronite it is looking great. (although my wife is not convinced) Cant wait to get something alive in it. - I need to get some LR aswell. I also do a fair amount of spearfishing, so keeping a piece of the sea at home seems to be a sensiable idea, as you cant dive everyday. cheers guys.Greg

11. crispin

crispin

greg i believe that a skimmer is by far and above the most important machine you can get with regards to filtration. I would hesitate to ever start a tank off without one, and without a good quality skimmer at that. I may (unlikley) look at running without a skimmer after a year or so of a stable tank, but id never run a new tank without one. So use you money to get as good a skimmer as you can.

I also believe strongly in the value of LR. It forms the lungs of your system and getting good quality LR is of paramount importance. Often problem tanks are found where a guy has skimpt on the cost of his LR and thus never really had the biological filtration set right.

I If i were you i would get a good skimmer and as much LR as you can afford into that tank as soon as possible so that you can start the cycle off. only after 5-6weeks after getting the LR in will you tank be ready for what you call "life", as in the visable macro life we put in tanks.

12. seank

seank

Welcome to MASA Greg

13. grega

grega Thread Starter

Cheers Sean. Thanks Crispin that is great advice. Next thing is to get is some LR and a skimmer then! I was looking at a Weirpro or Redsea Prizim hang on skimmer or a Reef Octopus BH-1000. I will go for the best I can afford. As soon as I have some LR and the skimmer going I will post some pics. cheers guys.

14. crispin

crispin

greg try work on around 1kg of good LR per 10l of water as a rule of thumb:)

i havent got any experience with hang on skimmers so I will wait for others to see which is the best of those models

15. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

:thumbup:welcometomasa:thumbup:

Recent Posts