Hello. I am crazy about fish.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Renegado, 2 Dec 2011.

1. Renegado

Renegado

Hey all,
    Nobody gets why I am so obsessed with fish. My mom is sick of the pet shop and sick of hearing 'what the goldfish did', my friends think I am crazy, but I just cannot get over how cool a living ecosystem in a glass box is!! (nerd) :thumbup:

That being said, my history of fish keeping is quite woeful.. It all started for me at 8 years old, with the typical beginners goldfish disaster. I still have one 6 year old, unnaturally small, and very cute goldfish in a 30g, living out her days. However, a while ago the inevitable happened and I ran across a thread of someone's documented reef tank setup. I read the whole thread, was utterly fasinated and I fell inlove with everything I saw about reef tanks and marine fish.

-fast-forward a few months-

A trip to my lfs and what do I see on the counter, but a marine tank with two clownfish playing in the currents. I was finally prised away from the tank by my mom who got bored (I know I know, I am actually crazy ;)) but anyhow, I now know for sure my future in fish keeping is marine tanks, and I am researching as much as time allows.

I joined simply to be able to ask an experienced South African audience questions before I get started. I'm more then enthusiastic, but not really in the position for a reef tank to be financially possible; I believe it will take me a few good years to start a proper reef tank.. However as all I ever hear is how important research is, I can't start to early in learning; no more goldfish disasters for me :)

I intend to go for the simplest, cheapest marine tank appropriate for a beginner, which can be upgraded to a reef. I can build my own tanks and am only a little bit scared of DIY projects. I am here to find out from the experts just what that beginner tank should be... And then what is is gonna cost.

Peace out :biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Q89 likes this.
  4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

Don't be scared by some of the rather serious looking setups you see on the forum, keeping a fish only marine tank can be a really simple and relatively cheap adventure that can slowly be upgraded to a reef tank. But be wary of being sold stuff you don't need. The guys here will advise on what the cheapest and most economical way will be if you want to start with fish only and slowly progress to full reef.

First thing you need to decide on is what size tank do you want?

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome :)

6. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

Welcome Dude :biggrin:

Wait this might be better
    masahello

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

8. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Welcome. What size tank are you planning on building?

9. cameron

cameron

welcome i am also in the same level as you . wlcome again

10. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

Thanks guys :thanks: and thank you for all those links, I will be sure to read all of them well.

Well as for tank size, I want the biggest I can get whilst still being very affordable. I can't afford big spec equipment whatsoever. I also kind of don't have all of eternity's time to spend on the tank, as I'm a trying to get good marks (see.. nerd :biggrin:) and I spend a good amount of time studying.

My current freshwater tank is 30gallons and not a problem, so I was thinking along the same size.. If can do, smaller, for cheaper equipment. Your input will be greatly appreciated :)

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA :)

12. cameron

cameron

same on my side renegado . i am also spending alot of time studing ,for i want to also score high marks aswell . i also want to have a 30 gallon tank too . the guys at masa will help us out dont worry:)

13. colbar

colbar

:welcome7: Nice to hear you are going to research everything first. Great Start!!

14. Annoying

Annoying

YES YES YES and the teenagers are starting to take over MASA:lol:! Don't wory most of us fish lovers are nerds and ya I know the feeling of choosing between working on your tank or studying for maths. Welcome to MASA, have a look on the DIY forum to see how you can make good equipment for cheep.

15. Q89

Q89

Welcome to MASA!

Here is alot of information!!

16. erratiC

erratiC

welcometomasa

17. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

Thanks guys :) can't wait to get started :biggrin: even though it's gonna take forever

18. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA. No better place to be and no better place to get the best advice.:thumbup:

19. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

:welcometomasa2: Reading is the best medicine for success, tempering this with carefully built experience, taking time to enjoy every minute of your tank, will make it the most rewarding!! Welcome to the Marine World!!

20. Hails

Hails

:welcometomasa2: Dont worry, takes a few months before you can put fish in a tank anyway. So plenty of time to research everything :) Awesome advice given by the experts too!

Recent Posts