Hello from Socal

Discussion in 'New Members' started by IvanW, 8 Dec 2014.

1. IvanW

IvanW

Hi everyone,
    I just came across this forum and have found some really interesting and different designs.I am an expat from Johannesburg living in Southern California for the past 25 years.I have been an avid reefgeek for many years.I started out with a small 30L (10gal)tank and over the years it increased in size to a 500 gallon(1900L) display with a total of 650gal (2500L). I had this tank built for me back in 2012.After going through all the algae blooms,fish die offs and so on,tank was starting to look spectacular.Then disaster struck,in March 2014 the whole front panel fell off due to really bad workmanship.So after 650 gallons of water,sand rock,fish and coral came pouring through my house,of course causing a fortune of damage in our cardboard house,it is now time to rebuild.I am going to build the tank myself as I am convinced I can do a better job.That is how I came upon your forum,as I am trying to change some of the things that I made mistakes on the first time around and in researching here I am.
    I belong to a club Southern California Marine Aquarium Society (SCMAS) here and am part of the committee that puts on an annual show called Reefapalooza,which started out in a backyard and has grown in the past 10 years to be the largest marine show in the US.
    I look forward to being a part of your community and hopefully I can contribute.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brendan6

Brendan6

Hi there and welcome! Looking forwards to some photo's of the previous setups :thumbup:
    Hope you enjoy the forum, hope that kind of disaster never happens again...

4. Reaper

Reaper

:welcome7::welcome7::welcome7:

Really sorry to hear about your disaster. Looking forward to seeing photos of your old setup, and progress of the new one!

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome IvanW
    You are so long in California that you forgot we work in Metric units... ;)
    About 2500L water flood. Were you at home when it happened? Or did you come back to a flooded house?

6. IvanW

IvanW Thread Starter

Even being here this long I still battle with the measurements ,I was never any good at them as a kid before the metric system and nothing has changed still trying to visualize 3/32 of an inch.(I think I just gave away my age:blush:)

Thanks for the welcome I will definitely post some pics.

Recent Posts