Hello From Fragd.it

Discussion in 'New Members' started by vladfragdit, 13 May 2009.

1. vladfragdit

vladfragdit Fragd.it Blogger

Hey guys,

Its always nice to meet new reefers, especially around the world. Having a widely read blog, I get the pleasure to interact with a lot of reefers on many of forums. Like I said in another post, I love sharing new ideas of reefkeeping with people of different culture as no two reefs are the same :)

A little about myself, my name is Vlad and I co-own a blog called Fragd.it (blog.fragd.it). We reside in Toronto, Canada.. a pretty hot place for nice corals. Currently, I have setup my own 'reefroom'. It includes a 320gallon display, 180gallon frag tank/prop tank, 190gallon sump, and soon to be added 72 artsy display. Yes, a lot of gallons, all in one system. Most of the system is fully automated, which includes a fully customizable Reef Keeper Elite controller.

My stock list is well known in the reefing community in Toronto for having top SPS colonies.. but since I moved 3 times, I had to restart my collection. Things happened.. lessons learned. My fish selection is also very minimal, not due to worry of overstocking, but rather the need for specific species. I recently added a Moorish Idol as an experiment in fishkeeping. There hasn't been much long term success in keeping these fish, but I am ready for a challenge.

Of course, no thread is useful if we don't have any pictures... so here are some:

FYI, I have built all of the tanks out of 1/2" cast acrylic, including the sump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. vladfragdit

vladfragdit Thread Starter Fragd.it Blogger

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will post some coral and fish shots later on. I also frequently post on my blog on many things that we (fragd.it) experience, and have had experienced. So you can get updates on this tank and other things that are happening in the north american reefing world.

I am open to questions, comments suggestions and even jokes on my setup, the blog, or anything in general :D

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Great to have your thoughts and imput here. We can learn a lot from you and you from this community.
    BTW i also want to put a school of moorish idols in this tank. Had 6 doing well for about 8 months, in a 350l tank a few years ago untill our electric service provider murdered them. When we introduce them we will update on this forum.

Excuse the spelling i looks like google has not payed the rent so the spell checker does not work.:lol:

5. DragonReef

DragonReef

Welcome Vlad. Nice setup :thumbup:

Keep an eye on the Moorish, they are prone to snacking on SPS. Been there done that - Twice !!! No two fish are the same, so you might get lucky.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

awsome setup welcome

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Thanks for sharing your system, very interesting.

Why do you not use glass for your tanks ?

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA vlad :)
    Please post some close up pics.

9. Monti

Monti

Wow, thats great. havent seen that many gadgets, plugs and gizmos in a while

10. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Looks great Vlad, and welcome. BTW, what's an artsy display?

6 Moorish Idols in 350l? Typo?

11. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA! Your stuff looks awesome, I'm at work now and will definitely take a closer look when I get home.

12. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Vlad welcome...awesome setup

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to masa!
    very nice setup! i love the sump design

14. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!
    Looking forward to hearing more abour your fragging techniques, etc...

15. lIghty

lIghty

Wow, love all the electronics, I'm sure they only used have that amount to launch a NASA shuttle :lol:

Could you please give us a breakdown of it.

16. vladfragdit

Actually, I do not mind that. If the snack is tasty, and I have a lot of it, then go for it. What I did notice about fish, especially those which nip at SPS corals, is that they only go for a single polyp at a time and move on. They do not continually nip it until its dead, like they do for LPS corals (see blastomussa, scolymia, and other meaty lps corals).

17. vladfragdit

Well for one was cost. It costs minimally 2x more to buy a glass aquarium. Secondly was the weight. Bringing a 320 gallon aquarium down a vary narrow staircase would be troublesome :) And lastly, clarity. Nothing beats acrylic for clarity. Its like a magnifying glass for the tank.

18. vladfragdit

An artsy display will be a tank that will have a minimalist look. For example, one large SPS colony with a dozen of blue damsels. Or, maybe an anemone display and 4 different types of clownfish.

19. vladfragdit

:razz:

I am not as gadgety as a lot of reefers that I know, but I still need my gadgets to make my system as automated and worry free as I could. The system is controlled by the Reef Keeper Elite modular system. There are different modules that you can get to customize your system. For my reef, I have a true moonlight controller (LED), power strip controller 2x (control any inputted device with off/on preset), SL1 controller (controls the temperature, pH, and ORP), and finally the NET (which enables be to be fully online). The NET allows me to check on my reef system anywhere in the world. Even on my phone.

All of the equipment is plugged into GFCI recepticals, via APC surge protectors. This way I can't get electricuted, or have equipment damage due to surges.

The gadget in the upper right corner is the controller for the wavysea. It is the main source of water movement in the 320 display. Having a sequence Wahoo pump run stright through the SavySea, enables me to get a lot of water movement in many corners of the tank.

20. vladfragdit

And the NET module allows me to do this:

[​IMG]

21. Al

Al

Welcome to the forum.

Recent Posts