Hello from Atlanta

Discussion in 'New Members' started by pricewn, 2 May 2013.

1. pricewn

pricewn

I'm Bill a newbie.

I have just started a 55 gal. reef tank. I use 100% live sand, live rock and my dealer supplied water from his system so really need no conditioning as I saw it. However, I went through the steps of conditioning the tank anyway.

Now about a month in I am having a problem with my fish.In the last week I have lost 2 gobies, 1 flame angel, 2 cleaner shrimp, the other fish in the tank (3 gobie, 2 damsels, one yellow tang, 1 bi-colored angel) and all of my coral are thriving. However, I am real hesitant about putting new fish in until I can figure out the problem. Also tested the water, the nitrates and ammonia are at 0ppm, PH is 82, temp. is kept at a steady 81F.

Any Ideas????

Thanks,
    Bill

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorry

Dorry dorry

masahello

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Welcome to masa.
    Can you perhaps give us a rundown of your tank perameters. Salinity, calcium, magnesium, alkalinity...
    Which skimmer are you using & what is it rated for?

Only problem i have seen with MANY new reefers is they are too eager to stock their tank & in the process loses a lot of fish.
    Even with all the fancy bacterial addatives, a new tank still needs time to settle & cycle...

5. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Bill your dealer that supplied your water from his tank is there fish in. You mention it is water from his system, or water from his tanks he put his stock in. Even if it is water from his system and his fish is healthy you can still transfer disease to your tank. How often do he a water change on his tank. It seems to me when he take the water out of his system for you, he is doing a water change.

6. Dorry

Dorry dorry

How long is your tank up and running. Your tank have to cycle at lease 6 weeks before you ad fish to your tank. Then you can ad say 2 fish, two weeks later you can ad another 2. giving your system time to mature slowly, building up your tanks bacteria.

Recent Posts