Hello from a different time zone!

Reaction score
Hello all, John here from Tiskilwa, Illinois, USA smack in the middle of nowhere! 150 miles west of Chicago, have to travel 40 miles for a bucket of salt out here. Just got curious about the reefing scene on the other side of the planet. I have a brother in Swaziland, and thought I'd make some new international freinds through the hobby/addiction. Current tank is an AGA RR 180 with a DIY 55 gallon sump/fuge. 3-400W 14K Hamilton DE pendants light it with 5100K PC over the sump. 2 Mag 12's for return, and an old museum piece Digital Oceans light/pump controller running it all. Mixed reef with DSB in display tank and refugium. Copperband Butterfly, Bi-color Blenny, Mandarin, Lawnmower Blenny, Kole Tang, Yellow Watchman/Pistol Shrimp are only fish. Assorted snails, NO crabs, cucumber, conch cleaning it all up. I manage a flood/fire disaster restoration service for a real job, and do custom engine rebuilding as a hobby. Is beer a hobby? Cheers, John

Hi John and welcome to MASA! Awesome setup you have there, I absolutely adore those little watchmens but unfortunately mine was seen as dinner by the lobster I HAD- yes I loved my little goby so much that I gave it away! Custom engine building hmmm, probably those lovely American V8's we have so few of in this country, and beer being a hobby.... DUH!:lol::lol::lol:

Welcome to MASA, good to share some views and experiences from other fellow reefers around the world. Now where are the pictures of your setup? :whistling:

Beer is an important part of our hobby, as you can see from our favourite smiley :peroni::peroni::peroni:

Be great if you could start a tank thread and we can get a good idea how things are done on your side of the world.

And pics would be great :)

Hello all, John here from Tiskilwa, Illinois, USA smack in the middle of nowhere! 150 miles west of Chicago, have to travel 40 miles for a bucket of salt out here.

LOL, that's about how I feel living in Bloemfontein, in the center of South Africa - 4 hours drive from the closest (decent) LFS, 6 hours away from the closest ocean... Still, we DO manage, don't we :)

So, John: WELCOME to MASA - oh, and as the others have said, POST PHOTOS :whistling:

Hennie

welcome john, nice to have friends from across the world:) lovely sounding tank, would be better to see it though. You getting the hint yet ?? :)

welcome to MASA:)

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA John! So glad you found us and joined MASA! Awesome to have you aboard MAN!

And please share some experiences keeping marines/reefs on your side of the world?

How often do you get corals/new fish? What is the quality of the corals/fish you DO get?

Thanks so much everyone, it'll be cool seeing how things differ and how things are the same. First of all, oh yeah! You got an ocean or two don't you. I'd have to drive DAYS before I could smell salt. Engine building wise, I stick mostly to 60's and 70's muscle cars. Fast good! Do a lot of antique tractors too, out here in corn and soybean land. As far as corals and fish, do a lot of swapping between pals. If I see something I absolutely have to sneak in the system there's always room. Just blew a lot of money on snails from Bluezooaquatics.com. Check 'em out. Now, someone hold my hand and guide me to the picture posting area. I'll catch on quick and get some pics going. It's now 11:30 AM Sunday morning, just got back in from the timber, deer hunting season 'ya know. Saw nothing worth putting in the freezer today, let them little ones get bigger! Had a huge breakfast, and the rest of the Redneck Reefers are coming over for a little backgammon and general sillyness. I think it may involve starting the grill up later and Jimmy said something about an expensive bottle of Vodka he's been saving. Have a great day all, John

Welcome to Masa John. Yes, we also do hunting, fishing, reefkeeping etc. And yes, we do drink Vodka too- so please feel right at home:thumbup:

Thanks so much everyone, it'll be cool seeing how things differ and how things are the same. First of all, oh yeah! You got an ocean or two don't you. I'd have to drive DAYS before I could smell salt. Engine building wise, I stick mostly to 60's and 70's muscle cars. Fast good! Do a lot of antique tractors too, out here in corn and soybean land. As far as corals and fish, do a lot of swapping between pals. If I see something I absolutely have to sneak in the system there's always room. Just blew a lot of money on snails from Bluezooaquatics.com. Check 'em out. Now, someone hold my hand and guide me to the picture posting area. I'll catch on quick and get some pics going. It's now 11:30 AM Sunday morning, just got back in from the timber, deer hunting season 'ya know. Saw nothing worth putting in the freezer today, let them little ones get bigger! Had a huge breakfast, and the rest of the Redneck Reefers are coming over for a little backgammon and general sillyness. I think it may involve starting the grill up later and Jimmy said something about an expensive bottle of Vodka he's been saving. Have a great day all, John

Sounds like one hell of a Sunday - have a good day:peroni:

Welcome Bud, Swaziland is just up the road from us.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'll get some pics up soon. Have to do some image resizing by the looks of things. Had a successful day yesterday. Deer loin, chicken breasts, and sausage on the grill. What a feast! Had to come to work to get some rest today! John
1368492180c1e4080.jpg

Back
Top Bottom