Hello from a coldwater reefer !

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals ...

Avid fish keeper and scuba diver, I have a 1.2m coldwater tank running which we are upgrading to a 2m this week as we are simply running out of space and having too much fun.

I'm posting some photos of the current tank ...
1.2m tank with overflow to a sump
Boyu chiller set to 16C
Skimmer and liverock, ceramic noodles and filter floss for mechanical filtration

I currently house marlyi butterflyfish, stumpnose, blacktails, blennies, juvenile wildeperd (zebra fish) and some gobies and a pufferfish.

Are there other coldwater enthusiasts here ?

I have added some fake plastic plants that resemble seaweed, but have found the seagrass from Strand tide pool grows in the tank rather like freshwater vallis. I'm not yet experienced enough to know which seaweeds will live in the tank ... anyone got ideas where to find this info ? :blush:

You'll be surprised what you can find in the rockpools and snorkeling around ... just takes some patience ! :thumbup:

Oh wow. Love the cold water nennies

Thats Awesome :m108:

My son and I are planning a cold water tank. We've seen great specimens here in Melkbos.

We're also looking for a resource that can tell us in detail what our rock pools contain.

How is the condensation on your tank?

We got a lot of inspiration from a visit to the Two Oceans Aquarium ... then just exploring rock pools at low tide, maybe snorkeling with a mask ?
The most common thing I think you'll see in Melkbos are juvenile Black tail fish, klipvis and such ... anemones and shrimps. Just remember you should have a collecting permit (from the post office, R94)

What type of chiller do you intend using ? PM me as I can get you ones for a discount :m13:

Our one tank is acrylic so not much condensation - in winter anyway we get none on either tank (glass or acrylic)

We're still a far way off from building the tank. I choked when I saw what a decent sized acrylic tank would cost :eek::eek:

Fine really since we're still doing lots of homework so have time to save up..

What temp do you keep your tank at? Does that allow you to mix West Coast and South Coast critters?

I have ALL the licences... My fishing license is useless though lol

Welcome - nice to see something different!

Back
Top Bottom