Hello fellow MASA

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Chamaca35, 16 Jun 2010.

1. Chamaca35

Chamaca35

Just wanted to say hi! and ask for your advise on several things new to me.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa

Ask away!!

4. Chamaca35

Chamaca35 Thread Starter

I just set up 75gal reef tank with 30lbs live rock and 50lbs caribbean live sand. I read up in several forums to put a raw shrimp for every 20gal to startup nitrogen cycle which i did 3days ago today I took out the shrimp because it had a nasty slime around de medium sock did I do ok with that?

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

You could leave it in. As it decomposes the bacteria will feed and multiply. It isnt 100% necessary to put a raw shrimp in there to start the cycle off as you already have some rock in there that is live. But i guess it could kick start the cycle, which i think you have done. So now you just need to wait it all out and keep checking your parameters until the final cycle is done. :thumbup:

What corals and fish would you like to keep in this tank?

6. Chamaca35

Chamaca35 Thread Starter

Do i have to wait til the entire shrimp is disolved because the bag had a nasty slime on it and the water smelled a little when i took it out today. cause I got scared I WAS DOING SOMTHING WRONG about ten minutes ago should i put it in back or not? I am a newbiie so I am still working on that, reading up on species and coroal compatibility too. Here is another concern my digital termometer says 81.1 and goes upto 81.6 is that ok? at the begining I started with tempretures of 76.5 2days later 79 and now sits on 81 to 82 is that ok all throughout the day and all night also . I have a carbon medium in my 20gal sump/refugium with bio balls floss media and also a black sponge and 5lbs caribbean live sand but I am also scarred cause my protein skimmer is not here yet should be in by 2morrow. Is that ok? I want to pick up some more cured live rock with coraline and is it ok to put cheatamorpha algea at this point in my refiugium or wait till every thing has settled after the cycle I started? Thanks for your advise scubaninja you are calming me down tkx. I almost gaveup!

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

You can leave it out. That nasty smell is from the DIE OFF of the shrimp and the cycle. During the cycle i dont think there is much you can do to stuff things up short of putting in fish etc before the cycle is over or breaking the tank it self. So dont worry :)

In terms of corals etc a good place to look to see what you like are fish selling sites, try liveaquaria. Look at the pictures and you can tell what will be pretty/enjoyable to have. Please just take note of the tank sizes they need and the other requirements ;)

81.1 in fahrenheit? thats a bit high for a tank, but its fine, no biggie. It should be closer to 77 or maybe a bit lower. But its fine during the cycle. There will be temperature differences throughout the day and your variation is small so its fine :)

Bio balls, sponges and Filter floss are more ''old school'' in keeping marines, as they trap detritus which leads to nutrient issues later on. Some people have kept AWESOME tanks with them however, so its up to you if you want to keep them or not. But i personally would not. A skimmer and a Deep Sand Bed does wonders. But i think you may be stuck for space? Do you have any pictures of you setup? You will be fine without a skimmer for a while so it isnt a problem. What type of skimmer is it? The more rock you have the better your Biological filtration will be, just dont put too much that your tank gets crowded ;) I think you can put the chaeto in, do you already have the lights for the refugium? If so, you can put it in if you already have the chaeto, it will help in removing nutrients. But i'm not sure how it will affect the start of the cycle, so maybe wait a week? someone more knowledgeable can correct me where i go wrong, but i dont see any cause for alarm yet :)

Your welcome chamaca, dont give up yet, the best parts are yet to come :) wait and see :p you'll be up at 12 at night with a torch looking at all the little bugs and stuff moving around in your cycling tank ;) You are welcome to PM me if you have any other questions and i miss the post in your thread ;)

8. Chamaca35

Chamaca35 Thread Starter

Thanks, Scubaninja for all your advise have a goodnite.

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

no problem. Its 6 in the AM here, didnt actually go to sleep :p is it night your side? I wonder what the time difference is. Anyway, do you have answers for some of the questions?

10. Chamaca35

Chamaca35 Thread Starter

sorry scubaninja I have no pics yet but I will post some tommorow ok and thanks for your advise. so far I have built my aquarium stand and cannopy did the plumbing twice and also the sump was remodled and I think is ok now. all this with the help of my friend Cheche we are newbies and going slow but sure. Also what keeps us back is the finance we are kinda struggling to set up our miracle reef we are getting there. See you guys tomorrow ok. Arivaderchie ......

11. Chamaca35

Chamaca35 Thread Starter

What questions scubaninja? I am new to this website and don't know my way around this site yet. It's 12:19am . Where do I see the questions I will try to answer them as best I can when I see them.

12. Adee

Adee

:1: welcome to MASA :1:

13. scubaninja

scubaninja

:thumbup:
    did the plumbing twice? that because of the remodel? Slow is definitly better, less $$$ and livestock lost that way. I can definitely understand the finance issue myself, i'm a university student so i feel that all too well. waiting for those pics ;)

Last edited: 16 Jun 2010
  14. seank

seank

These questions.

Btw, welcome to MASA, you came to the right place :thumbup:

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome...

Recent Posts