Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Members' started by blenny, 15 Sep 2012.

1. blenny

blenny

I have just started a 80l marine fish only tank. I have 3 Spinney head cardinals and a Mono angel fish. I have had fresh water tanks for many years and must admit that a salt water tank is quite a challenge. I have lost quite a few fish due to not knowing enough. My tank has been up now two months and seems to be doing much better. My husband has been showing me the ropes as he has had his tank many years. :biggrin: I am looking forward to learning more from all of you

Last edited: 15 Sep 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave: Have fun, be patient, lots of reading in here about the different reefers experiences and knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask!

4. crispin

crispin

hi blenny, welcome to masa:)

its sounds like its been a little bit of a rocky start with that tank, maybe if yiou show us a few pics we can see if there is anything you can do to improve the tank and make it a little easier to keep.

im not sure what a Mono angelfish is (i'll try look it up after this post) but normally 80l is way to small a tank for an angel, so it might be worth replacing that fish with something more suited

5. nakoma

nakoma

:welcome7::welcome7: can i have coffee now

6. crispin

crispin

i see its the Monodactylus argenteus, which is primarily a brackishwater fish, but that adults can be converted over to marine systems once they are mature, although to sites i read said they dont do that well in full marine systems over the long term.

a reccomended tank size of 50 gallons. I think you will find better tank mates for your tank over the long run, especially as this is primarily a shaoling fish and should be kepts in groups of 3 or 5.

7. crispin

crispin

NO, not untill you help your wife do a water change!:tt2:

8. blenny

blenny Thread Starter

I am going to release the Mono angel as I catch all my fish by hook. I am still learning which fish are better suited together, but to be honest... I love Blenny fish. If I could keep a tank full of them, I would. I had a spotted hawk fish as well, but sadly he didnt make it as they had a fungal infection I think. I have had two small Rock salmons but I released them as they didnt do too well. I have a bigger tank of 1.4m by 400mm but I still need to make a stand. We got it at a real bargain... a whole R30.00.

9. blenny

blenny Thread Starter

[​IMG]

10. nakoma

nakoma

I need my vitamins first

Recent Posts