Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Starfish93, 3 Jan 2011.

1. Starfish93

Starfish93

Hey guys, So i just started a membership here to this website. Looks pretty awesome I must say! I was just recently given the job in my high school to begin a Marine aquarium from literally nothing. Finally after about 6 months of fundraising, I have received about R4000. So once I am back in school I will finally be able to go start the marine aquarium in our biology lab! I look forward to reading the information on this site and if anyone has any suggestions about where to buy from or what to buy please do share! Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome and good luck!
    there is plenty to learn and absorb so take your time and ask as many questions as possible.

also tell us your intentions and what u plan to keep etc.
    once successful the tank can be made to be self-sustainable by selling frags and corals for cash to get money for additives etc.

and this place is full of great people that would be willing to donate. i myself would donate livestock etc as well...

welcome to the best hobby on the planet

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. For starters read through the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - great info for beginners.

R4000 is not a lot, so the best would be to look in the for sale forums for secondhand tanks and equipment.

Good luck with this venture and don't be shy to ask away ;)

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!!!

Which school has given you this job?
    Do you have any idea what you would like to keep?
    You going to have to consider things like weekends, school holidays, meddling students etc when designing this system and make it as self-sufficient and bullet proof as possible. I would reccommend keeping only simple fish (damsels, clowns etc) and if you want corals then go for the easy ones (zoas, mushrooms, star polyps etc).
    R4000 will be able to get you a basic system but dont forget youll also have to budget for the monthly running costs (water changes, food, additives). Have a look through the For Sale section, you can often pick up very good equipment there at budget-friendly prices.

6. Starfish93

Starfish93 Thread Starter

Thanks! Well, I plan to start off with a fish only aquarium just to get on my feet... I don't want to jump in to fast giving I'm just a beginner. But hopefully soon enough I will have the confidence to begin a reef tank with all the beautiful species of life!

How much do you believe I will need to first start off the tank and get it up and running? I found a tank that is R3500 at Sam's Aquarium as well as Perky pets that will sit right in our biology room perfectly. So I am almost sure I have just enough money for the tank... but we will be continuing to fundraise for more money to keep this amazing hobby working in our school!

7. 459b

what are the specs of this tank?

8. zayd

zayd

What's going to happen during school holidays?

9. Starfish93

They told me it was a 500x550x650 and has all the built in needs for marine tanks such as the skimmer, lighting, power head etc. I only had the chance to view it for a little while, but i plan on going back to get the full aspects of this tank. from the looking of it though, it looks quite sturdy.

10. Starfish93

school holidays will end up being someone caring for them for only a brief period, or I was have to bring the small amount of fish back home to put in a marine aquarium I have in my home... my teacher suggested that idea, but do you believe that might hurt the fish and give them a fright?

11. 459b

sounds like the Boyu nano?
    You must think about this tank thing very carefully. Keeping a marine aquarium is not easy and if this is going to be your first one, then setting it up in a school is going to make it even harder (i know as i was involved with one at a private school and also set a few up for university).
    What is the purpose of the tank...pure enjoyment or will it have some educational value as well?

12. zayd

zayd

May work for fish only, but corals may prove to be a challenge in these type of tanks. They are normally modified by reefers.

Not aure about the tank you are talking about, but usually the lighting and skimmer in these systems are not great. Space is limited for any additional equipment.

I would look into getting a 2nd hand tank with sump on the forum and then you can add whatever equipment you need and is future proof until you want a bigger tank.

Not to push the sale of my tank I'm selling (which I do have available if interested - 320 ltre Corner Bow Tank: Cape Town - Marine Aquariums of South Africa), but rather to help someone make an informed decision.

13. zayd

zayd

Moving them every holiday could result in some losses. It is very stressful for them. Also, I am not sure of the ramifications of switching off the tank for an extended period of time. Impact on live rock, bacteria, etc

14. Boegie

Boegie

Very welcome.

15. Starfish93

Yes it is the Boyu Nano i believe... Is that a good choice for a school aquarium? This tank will be used for educational purposes as well as to brighten up the classroom. I hope to go into marine biology when I apply for university so this would be a great way to learn about different marine life.

If you have any suggestions of how to conquer a tank at school please do tell... sounds like it will be hard, but hopefully possible? My peers are very excited to see this come into play and with all the time and money I have put into it so far, I don't want to give up.

16. 459b

Boyu do make good nano tanks, but im not sure if its a good idea fora school tank. Im not sure which model you were quoted on. The older ones come with a useless skimmer and do require some modifications. Apparently the new models are slightly better.
    Main problem with nano tanks is the water volume. Its alot harder to keep small volumes stable. Nano tanks require freaquent water changes which will become expensive if you cannot access sea water.

17. Starfish93

So what type of tank and how big do you think I should be using for a school environment?

18. 459b

let me think about it for a while and get back to you. Both nano and larger system with sump have their advantages/disadvantages.

19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

20. Firefly

Firefly

Welcome to the forum. Great to have high schoolers interested in the hobby. But please be warned, holidays are a pain when there is a fish tank in a classroom. My father is a teacher and has tropicals in his classroom and they are starting to get on his nerves because he has to go back and feed them+water changes and the sort.

Recent Posts