Hello Everyone!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Jacojs, 6 Apr 2010.

1. Jacojs

Jacojs

Howzit people!!

Name is Jaco. I am very interested in starting a Marine tank and have a lot of questions :thumbup:

For easy reading sake I will not ask them all at once, just to keep things neat ;)

My first concern is moolah :( How rich does one have to be to have a Marine tank, I will not be able to buy a skimmer, a sump a display tank and cabinet plus live rock all at the same time not to mention pumps, power heads, salt and then some!!

Can this be done little by little and what should I look at starting with??

I know all the peeps here will have answers for me and I have to say that I already have a brainchild for my sump but we'll get there in due time I suppose :yeahdude:

Thanks.
    Jaco.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Apr 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hi and welcome to MASA. You've came to the right place where you will learn lots of new things everyday.

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Jaco, glad you joined us. We have a lot of experience here on MASA and the guys are eager to help and give their different inputs.
    In the meantime, read the link in my signature for some good info for new guys that wants to start their first marine tank - this will also give you an idea of what you'll need and about different setups.
    Also go make a turn at Dorry Pets, Lanzo will point you in the right direction regarding equipment, etc - here is his online shop - www.dorrypets.co.za

5. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA! Marine keeping is an expensive hobby but deffenitly worth it:thumbup:! The great thing is that you can do it little by little. The first thing you will need is the tank,sump and stand... Then save for maybe one or two pumps,and a skimmer... Save for the salt and live rock... When you add the salt add just a few kg of live rock at a time(just to make it easier not to spend all at one time)... When you have enough live rock then you can put in the ligting...

There you go now it's just fish and corals. The above can be done over a few weeks or a few years.

6. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Thanks Annoying!!

Glad to hear it can be done little by little, I also read somwhere that the success of your tank is not defined by how much money you spend but rather by how much time, effort and care is given, hope this is true.

To Tobes.

I spoke to Lanzo(pm'ed him) and he is in the middle of moving shop so I am going to give him time to finish that, also I am not in a hurry as we are looking at moving house so I am still researching a lot.

Talking about research, can anyone recommend a good book on reefkeeping? Also would using beach or surf sand be better than using normal sand, and how good is the aragonite everyone is on about including the black hawaii stuff??? Any views on adding sea water also appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jaco.

7. crispin

crispin

hello jaco and welcome to masa :)

8. Manic

Manic Moderator

Hey Jacojs, firstly welcome to MASA.

As for sand if you are on a budget you can use normal reggies play sand for the tank. This hobby is expensive but if you take things slow it isn't to bad.

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

Also about the reef keeping books, there are a few but the problem is they usually contain very outdated information, rather just ask questions on this forum and you will get the most up to date answers.

10. neo

neo

I.m.o.
    Buying books on life stock is good because the identification and classification of fish, corals, invertibrates etc. rarely changes,BUT technology and technique changes all the time so for that i would stick to online sources.

11. robertkukla

robertkukla

welcome to MASA

12. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

there is a lot of info on the net and here on MASA, but a good book is always a nice to have.
    There are a few good books from Julian Sprung, Anthony Calfo, Rob Fenner, etc. I got Reef Invertebrates and The book of Coral propagation, both by Anthony Calfo. Easy to read and good info, as both books cover subjects on live rock, live sand, algae, skimmers, chemistry, coral fragging, coral shipping, decease, etc etc. Actually the second book covers most on corals and fragging, although the first one does all the invertebrates. Buy both :)

14. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

15. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the welcome!!

Tobes, I will definately go and grab those, sommer this weekend ek dink :thumbup:

Also would using beach or surf sand be better than using normal sand, and how good is the aragonite everyone is on about including the black hawaii stuff??? Any views on adding sea water also appreciated.

Any views on this yet?

Nice!!

16. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

welcome to the forum dude...

17. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Okay.

Replies a bit on the slow side here. I found a post about DLSB and I think it was there where it was said that aragonite although expensive would be the best to go for. So that part is answered. Still need an answer about dry beach or wet surf sand please chinas :wave2:

And I don't understand what the differences between the aragonites are e.g. Arag-Alive Bimini Pink, Arag-Alive Fiji Pink (Sugar-Sized), Arag-Alive Hawaiian Black, Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand, Caribsea Coraline Maui Wowie etc etc. Is it just the colors taht are different? Should this(aragonite) be used in the sump as well?

Nice!!

18. xtreme

xtreme

Hi Jacojs

Welcome!!!!

Get some live beach sand for the sump, lekker gogas in there.
    The pro's will answer you, just give them time, you need a lot of time if you going to start a marine tank:p

19. Manic

Manic Moderator

Personally, I wouldn't waste money on aragonite for a deep sand bed, rather use play sand it works just as well and is way cheaper.

For the display tank I wouldn't use sea sand because I prefer the nice white look of aragonite.

The aragonites you stated above all have different grain sizes. In my display I have Fiji pink aragonite and Bahamas sugar fine aragonite, they the exact same colour just different sizes.

viper357 likes this.
  20. Manic

Manic Moderator

Although some of them do have different colours like black aragonite. Have a look on the carib sea website for pictures. The arag-alive is just aragonite in water that contains live bacteria.

21. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Xtreme, shots bud, time is all I have man :) like I said we are looking to move :( so I am still researching as much as I can. When you say live beach sand should I get the sand that is wet, where the surf washes up, and I am in Centurion so I will have to get a friend of mine who lives in Richards Bay to bring it for me, will the goggas survive a road trip??

Manic, gotcha man thanks :thumbup: can you post a foto of your tank or a link, would like to see the pink aragonite in a setup.

Recent Posts