Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Scott_Rob, 3 Aug 2009.

1. Scott_Rob

Scott_Rob

Hi,

My name is Scott, I'm 16, and I live in Durban. I've recently become quite interested in keeping a marine aquarium. I'm still in the research phase, trying to gather as much information as possible before I decide to actually begin my own marine aquarium. It'll probably take me a few months to start an aquarium if I go ahead, due to time and budget constraints. I don't want to rush into anything either.

I've previously kept freshwater fish, and I have a 1200 litre tank which I'm considering trying to convert to saltwater.

I'd really like to commend you all on an excellent forum. Most of the sites I've come across on the net haven't been nearly as informative or friendly. Keep it up!

Lastly, if you guys have any advice you think I could use, please don't be shy. I'd really appreciate any tips etc. from the more experienced aquarists in the forum.

Looking forward to getting involved!
    -Scott

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa scott
    we have a local reef keeping club here that meets on every(nearly every ;) ) last thursday of the month. We are infact having a braai at DUC this weekeng but it might be a bit late for that but you are most welcome to join us at the next meeting :thumbup:

4. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA Scott

5. Noodles

Noodles

Welcome....

6. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

:welcometomasa2:
    TO MASA AND TO THE BEST HOBBY EVER.

7. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Scott! Great to have you on-board! PLEASE, remember the following things, in keeping marines:
    1) to keep marines successfully, you need a HUGE amount of PATIENCE!
    2) to keep marines successfully, you need to READ a HUGE amount!
    3) to keep marines successfully, you need to ASK a lot of questions
    4) to keep marines successfully, you need a HUGE amount of knowledge...which you gain by asking a lot of questions and reading a huge amount...

Also - please come and ask our opinions BEFORE you go out and purchase ANYTHING from a petshop or LFS....
    We have no financial gain in giving you advice, and are completely neutral.

Good luck mate! Enjoy this hobby! It's an AWESOME journey!

10. Boendoe

Boendoe

Welcome Scott, 1200 liters Wow now thats some space to play with. Ask all your questions here and you will not get bad advice.

11. Prodigy

Prodigy

Welcome to MASA

12. Scott_Rob

Scott_Rob Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Will defo be back here soon with lots of questions.

13. werner5

werner5

masahello

14. Dale6

Dale6

welcome dude ,nice size tank u hav to play around with!

15. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome boet.... enjoy the ride

16. AndrévN

AndrévN

Welcome dude. You found the right place. Lets start with the following, if you had freshwater fish - have you ever used copper based medicine on the system you will have to clear the tank of that. The copper leaches back into the system over time from the silicone used on the tank. But read on the main forums and get as much info as you can before you leap. There is a lot of toppies and youngsters alike with a lot of knowledge and expertise in various fields that can help you out. We dont always agree but we always get answers at the end. :p

Remember we all do this :12: AND ThIs :25: and THIS :23: and THISSS :banghead: and of course this :censored: and dont forget this :cursing: and lastely this :y10: but eventually we all do this :mbounce: Cause its for the love of marines and opinions differ. :bigthumbup: masahelloBuddy you really found the right place.

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there masahelloScott - Ask away buddy we all here to help you and ourselves! like now I'm asking for help - am I suffering with de' ja vu or has Max posted like this above post before or are the sites times off beat - guys plz help me out here:wacko: Dont mind me Scott I go off the deep end sometimes but dont we all sometimes - anyway - enjoy the journey bud - sounds like you gat a beast of a tank - what are its dimensions plz and what about some pictures? We are all pictures hogs here!

18. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Scott :)

19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Scott, hope you enjoy it here with us. Please read the link in my signature for some great info on how to set up your first marine tank.

Ask a lot of questions and please also ask us before buying something - unfortunately you get some petshops that will sell you outdated and unneccessary stuff just to make money - they know you'll be back in the future to buy the right things (if they stock it :p)

Hope to see you at next months meeting - one more thing, no :1: for you my young jedi ;)

20. crispin

crispin

hello Scott:)

Welcome to masa its great to have you on board. I would ask you for pics of your tank but as they have bathwater fish in at the moment, perhaps you could just give us the dimensions instead? (bathwater fish are very ugly once you start with marines) Lets see what you have and what would be needed to run that tank as a salt water tank. Does the tank have an overflow and a sump at the moment?

there are some realy active durban reefers and i am sure they will gladly show you there tanks and what they do to achieve a sustainable system.

welcome to masa and happy postings:)

Recent Posts