Hello and help!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by robski, 8 May 2008.

1. robski

robski

hi guys,

Im new to this, and would appreciate some handy tips and advice..

Maybe some corals, liverock or fish for sale.

Thanks guys,

Robbie :slayer:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

Welcome Robski

Hope you enjoy MASA.

take a look under the classifieds, things always for sale.

4. Franske

Franske

Hi and welcome,please scream if you need some help

5. robski

robski Thread Starter

thanks alot,

excited to start my long journey of fish finding and keeping!

but now, i was told when buying the tank by sam from sam's to put sea waterin it from the atlantic and run it for between 28 - 32 days before putting stuff in.

and when i was leaving, some guys told meto get RO water and keep it running for 3 months before stocking it..

now, being a newbie, you can see my dilema...

suggestions please guys, HELP, lol..

thanks

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi Robski,

Natural sea water is ok as long as it collected from an area well away from sewer outfalls/esturies or busy beaches, collected from an incoming tide would be better..

As for R/O water and synthetic salt - that works too.

You need to set your tank up as viper suggested read the link he posted then start asking questions here, that way you will enjoy this fantastic but demanding hobby.

8. sunburst

sunburst

Welcome to the Marine and Reefkeeping hobby Robbie:D

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome Rob :)

10. robski

robski Thread Starter

thanks guys, you have all made me feel very welcome.

ok, so tomorrow i'm going down to bakoven/oudekraal to collect some beach water, and then do i add supplements immediately, or wait for a month to start fiddling with the water?

also, should i introduce LR or LS starit away, or wait?

P.s, where do i pick up LS?

Thanks

11. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

You should add some bacteria (several options here) early on to get the nitrate cycle started - the rest you can leave until later. I've had good results with some of the bottled bacteria supplements (Seachem Stability, Nutrafin Cycle). You could also mix some mature live sand (from a friendly MASA reefer!) into the sand that you buy.

Best to add the live rock and water first, and leave it for a week or so to let any dead thingies fall out. Then you can syphon them off the bottom before adding the live sand (remove the rock temporarily, syphon the bottom clean, add the sand, replace the rock).

Most LFS will stock it, I'd guess. I used the Seachem oolitic aragonite from Sam's @ around R330 per 10kg bag. You should budget on about 150mm coverage. Meridian
    Works well, and not excessively pricey.

Some people prefer to use more expensive live sand (by all accounts Caribsea is very good, but more expensive). I gather that Liaquat in Montague Gardens (CT) is the local agent for CaribSea.

caribsea your aragonite source and more!

Others prefer to use use play sand (e.g. from Reggies), which is much cheaper, but does not have the buffering or Calcium releasing properties of aragonite (nor dies it carry any native bacteria initially, but this you can sort out with suplements above, I guess).

Personally I'd go for oolitic aragonite, based on lots of reading that I've done.

[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator: 9 May 2008
    viper357 likes this.
  12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Rob! I am so glad that another Cape Town reefer has joined MASA! A very warm welcome on a VERY miserable and cold day! :)

OK - I am glad that you have received quite a bit of answers/suggestions already.

Here's my bit - (possibly some redundant info - but I will add it for completeness sake):
    How to start your 1st marine tank:
    1) get tank (decide on: new, second hand, specially built (custom), pre-built but new)
    2) get sump (second tank acting as the main filtration system of the marine aquarium system)
    4) get plumbing sorted (water flow down "durso standpipe" into the sump from the main display tank - usually through a hole drilled in the bottom or back of the main display tank)
    5) get skimmer (as big and as decent as you can afford) - have a look at "ReefTek" and/or "Reef Octopus" range - most value for money - there are others available as well - have a look in our second hand for sale forums)
    6) get lighting - decide on whether you want to keep corals, or just fish, or corals AND fish AND inverts - this will determine the lighting needs - the most common types of lighting: T5's and / or (either or both) Metal Halides
    = Fish only does not require much intense lighting
    = soft-corals require more intense lighting, BUT not maximum
    = LPS (long polyped stony) corals require just about the same lighting as soft-corals
    = SPS and most anemonies require the highest intensity lighting you can afford to put on
    7) decide on NSW (natural sea water) or synthetic sea water mixed with synthetic salt and RO water (RO = Reverse Osmosis - extremely filtered water, filtered by special Reverse Osmosis filtration system)
    8) decide on main tank display substrate:
    = either bare bottom (bb)
    = or DSB in tank (Deep sand bed = sand bed with sand particle size of between 0.05 and 1mm in size - sand bed being between 120mm and 150mm thick/deep)
    = shallow sand bed in tank, and DSB in sump
    = both DSB in tank AND DSB in sump
    = this sand can be either playsand, or aragonite/caribsea, or natural sea sand)
    9) live rock for either in-tank or in-sump (or both)
    10) bio-rock for base-rock in-tank (man-made rock made with cement/aragonite)
    11) get pumps/power-heads for in-tank water-flow (best bet would be one of the following: Tunze streams (expensive), SEIO's (good value for money), ReSun Wavers' (best value for money), Boyu streams (best value for money)
    12) get test-kits (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, alkalinity, temperature guage (get digital one), salinity/SG (hydrometer or refractometer)

To get you tank up and running:
    1) get tank stand in place
    2) get tank on top, and sump in bottom of stand (or above main tank - your decision)
    3) get plumbing in place - this includes the plumbing of the over-flow to sump, and skimmer, as well as return piping from sump to tank)
    4) get return pumps and in-tank pumps/power-heads in place
    5) place base rock in tank, and some live rock on top of that
    6) add water
    7) run tank with power-heads and skimmer for a few days - switch off pumps
    8) add substrate (dead substrate first)
    9) add some live substrate on top
    10) run tank another 5 weeks or so as it is now
    11) test ammonia/nitrites/nitrates during this time
    12) once ammonia/nitrites are ZERO (0), and nitrates are low - then you can start looking at adding some "cleanup crew" (dwarf hermit crabs, snails)
    13) about a week or two after adding the cleanup crew - you can start looking for your first soft-corals, and/or fish (NOT AN ANEMONE, or mandarin - as the tank is still too young)...

During this process - come back OFTEN to MASA and ask as many questions as necessary that you can learn as much as possible before adding life stock....

Following these steps will give you the BEST possible chance of being a successful reefer, without losing life stock (or without losing too many life stock)....

viper357 likes this.
  13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

if you going to that area, why not get it from the research aqurium? Its filtered and you can park your car right next to the tap - saves carrying buckets up stairs.

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome Robski, the guys have you on the right track. Enjoy the journey

15. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Ya, WELCOME to the forum - good info so far... If I may add one or two thoughts:

Don't waste too much money on live sand at this stage - use fine sea sand collected from a clean, unpolluted beach. Add your live rock after a week or two, and then go and buy one or two kg's of LS after about a month. Then leave the tank for at least another month before you add any fish or corals (longer if possible).

Using sea water is fine, as long as it is not polluted. You WILL need to add some RO water (without any salt!) to the tank every day or two to compensate for the (pure) water lost through evaporation. Although you could just add tap water (and it's tempting if you need to buy a RO unit, or pay through your nose for the RO water...), this WILL lead to all kinds of problems in the medium to long term, and it's really not worth it. USE RO FOR MAKEUP.

Ensure that you have enough water movement and light before you add any coral or anemone.

Read, research, and ask questions - learn from the mistakes we made, and don't make the same mistakes - it's MUCH cheaper and more enjoyable in the long run...

Hennie

16. robski

robski Thread Starter

thanks very much for all the info so far, its been a great help.

I bought LR on friday to put into my tank, about 2,5 kg of fijian.

i then went to the marine biology aquarium in sea point to get water, at which time was about 3.30, 30 min after they closed, but luckily the lady leaving was so kind to help me out with 25l.

So now i have 25l in my 128l tank, which is just enough to cover the LR, but not enough to feed water to the pump which is in its own conpartment at the back, and requires a certain amount of water in the tank to be able to get into it. so its still water.... what do i do, i cant get water from the marine biology place until monday..

any ideas, or is this fine?

thanks guys

17. Warr7207

Warr7207

Go buy some saltwater from your LFS

18. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Or better still, just drive to a quiet stretch of beach outside of Cape Town and collect some sea water from the ocean...

19. IMarine

IMarine

Welcome bra

Recent Posts