Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Gary Roebuck, 12 Jul 2011.

1. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

Hello all... i'm Gary, and i think i'm in the right place this time... hahahaha.
    I have a 120ltr tank, about a month old, 2 dominoes, 2 tomato clowns, a gobby and a coral beauty. I also have a few mushrooms, pollops, an open brain(?) and an anemone..
    ALL ADVICE IS WELCOME!!
    Thanks
    Gary

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete

Pete

Hi Gary. Welcome to masa. Give a full rundown of your setup and most of all load pics and see what comes from that much easier for everybody to give you advice.

Excelent Idea Mr D

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jul 2011
  4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi Gary, welcome to MASA. I moved your thread to the new members section.

There's some reading for you on starting a marine tank in my signature - awesome info for beginners ;)

5. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

Please give us info on the tank lighting, flow, filtration etc. An anemone is a very delicate creature and should only be introduced after the tank has been runnig for at least 9 months. What nennie is it and could you please take a pic of it so that we could see it's general health.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome

Yes, give more background and the reason you are where you are. Else you gonna be ripped apart. Better if everyone know the full background, before the jump on your head.

Yes, and I do agree, you are now at the best place for advice.

7. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Welcome to the broke side... :thumbup:

And we want pics or... :beatdeadhorse5:

Also, yes, your tank is too young for a nennie... These guys are making we wait so you can too... :tt2:

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Gary, and WELCOME to MASA and to this great hobby.

Having 6 fish in a tank that is only one month old is really pushing the envelope (as I'm sure you've realised by now, having read other threads...). The one positive thing is that you do have a skimmer - if it's a decent type, it will help a lot.

As the other posts have confirmed, your biggest problem at this point in time is the anemone. Nennies can live for hundreds of years in the wild, but with you being a beginner aquarist, and the tank being less than about 9 months old, the statistics is loaded pretty steeply against the nennie surviving for more than a month or two. Not having adequate lighting makes this even worse (I see from your tank specs that you have 3 fluorescent and 2 "ultra violet" lamps, but you do not state Wattage or type, so I'm assuming T8's...).

If/when the anemone dies, there is a great risk that it can kill most, if not all, your other livestock as well, and I would strongly urge you to either return the anemone to the shop that you bought it from, or arrange with a fellow aquarist to look after it for the next 6 months or so until your tank is more stable, and you have upgraded your lights.

As requested in the previous posts, please post your full tank specs (type of lights, make & model of skimmer, type and number of pumps, do you use RO water for top-ups, etc), water parameters (water temperature, SG, pH, alkalinity, ammonium, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate levels...), and some photos of your tank and sump - we really need more info before we can start to give you any half-decent advice.

Hennie

Recent Posts