hello all

Discussion in 'New Members' started by cornelia, 14 Sep 2010.

1. cornelia

cornelia

Hi there
    We are Braam And Cornelia, married for 5 months, and really enjoying planning our tank!

We're busy building our first tank: 180x60x60. We've bought all of the equipment ordered the glass and have been searching the internet non-stop for advice and tips. We're planning to start setting everything up in the next two weeks.

I originally started buying everything for him as a super B-day surprise (only end October) but he figured it out (somehow?) About a week ago, now we're both so psyched we're fast forwarding it a bit and we'll probably be able to by our first fish near his birthday! Yay!

We still have a few questions, seeing as this is a forum I'm going to jump right in and post them here, so if anyone can give us some advise we'll greatly apreciate it, thanks in advance :)

- where can we find good, real live rock. And how do we know the difference? I've only found one shop in town selling it, but frankly to me it looks like old washed out, dry pieces of sand someone picked up on abeach and is pocketing at R150/kg. How would I know if it's good qaulity, or where in the area or guateng can we buy good stock from?
    - again on live rock, how do we cure it? And how much do we need? 550l tank
    - how much corral sand do we need?
    - how long after we've stabalised the water levels can we introduce fish?
    - does each fish need to be qaurentined even if they're from the same shop? And how? And for how long?
    - how long untill we can introduce anemones? And Qaurentine?

Ooh I can't wait, but putting all my questions black on white is a bit unnerving.

Thanks for everything, can't wait to start posting pics.

Cornelia

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome cornelia, you have come to the right place for decent info and advice.

To try and answer some questions: LR comes in different grades / types / cured (alive) / uncured and so forth. If it looks like a white piece of klip from a beach it would be uncured as an example. The liverock we sell is imported as it is illegal to collect rock from our SA shores. As for where to buy, check with the sponsors here first. Just a word of advice , as you are paying by the kg ...make the LFS let the water run out befor wheiging. Also more porous LR will be better for filtration.

Coral sand (not sure what yo are referring to ), most guys in GP go for reggies playsand that is just well washed, or aragonite if the budget allows. How musch would be dependant on how deep you would like the sand bed to be in the display tank. If not a in display deep sand bed (DSB) aim for roughly 3 cm

How long is also a relative question, it will depend on water paramaters, a good rule of thumb is 6 weeks

On anemones I suggest you gain a lot of experience and have a well matured tank before attempting this. They require good flow , good lighting and very good water paramaters to thrive. Also a lot of specimens we get are already in bad shape. Just remember they have extremely slow metabolisms, thus grow and die slowly...best left in the ocean IMHO

Good luck , lots of reading to do. What have you guys got planned hardware wise ?

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi guys, welcome to MASA. For starters read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - some really great info in there and probably half your questions answered.
    Go bug Lanzo at Dorry Pets in Centurion, PTA - great service. They are also a sponsor on the forum :)
    There are also guys in JHB - Idol Marine, Wild on Pets, etc

Check out the sponsors forum.

Live rock is usually 10% of system volume, although some guys may prefer more, others less. So if the tank is 550l, then a rough figure will be about 50-60kg.
    Don't use course sand, use fine sand like caribsea aragonite or if you have a small budget, use Reggies play sand - just wash it VERY well until white.
    Tanks usually cycle about 4-6 weeks if done the natural way (which is best in my opinion) before fish can be introduced.
    Please don't put an anemone in a tank younger than 9-12 months as they need a mature, stable system with pristine water quality. The flow pumps also need to be made anemone safe incase it wants to move. They usually move when they're unhappy.

Hope this helps, now leave each other alone and go read that link :lol:

5. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

What kind of equipment do you already have ?

Last edited: 14 Sep 2010
  6. Jinx

Jinx

welcome

7. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

8. seank

seank

Welcome Braam And Cornelia

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome.

Well on that dry liverock, you need to cycle the tank at least 6 weeks before that rock should be usefull. So if you start the tank with water and rock this weekend, you might be able to add your fish by his birthday. And only one fish. Take is alow, only bad things happens fast. Anything else you have to wait.

Maybe next year for his next birthday, could you get an anemone for him. By then you should be able to keep the tank environment stable, and have enough knowledge to be able to keep the anemone healthy.

Maybe take a trip down to Pretoria, visit the LFS sponsor shops in and around.

Also, DO NOT start your tank with tap water. start with RO water and good marine salt.

And welcome to this hobby.

10. Scatmansworld

Scatmansworld

masahello

Recent Posts