Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Joezy, 7 May 2009.

1. Joezy

Joezy

Hi Everyone

Another freshman here joining what seems to be a wonderful community.

Amazingly, I already seem to know someone on the site (hey Amish)...

A little about me:
    I'm originally from P.E, but currently residing in Cape Town.

I've heard about this wonderful hobby (or should I say way of life) called Reefkeeping.
    I have a 1700x400x500 tank and am looking to get started.

I'm very wet behind the ears, basically, I'm still in the womb when it comes to this.
    I am very nervous about starting this tank as I do not want to kill anything due to my stupidity.

Who in Cape Town is really good with this sort of thing and will be able to guide me on my quest. As I am very new, I would be greatful if someone could show me the ropes above telling me....

Thanks again and I look forward to corresponding with you all.

Cheers,
    Yusuf

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA. Ak away and post pics. We will set you on the right path

4. keyaam

keyaam

Welcome to MASA Yusuf. What part of CT you staying in? Thats a nice size tank to start off with. Anyway start asking questions!!!

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

[​IMG]

6. JD167

JD167

Welcome Joezy! Ask away. Loads of experts on this site to get you going. Where in Cpt do you stay?

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Slmz and Welcome to MASA Yusuf!
    Wait for Crispin, Tobes or Jacques to pop by, they will put you on track :)

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Yusuf, hope you enjoy it here with us. Don't be nervious, just read, ask and learn a lot. Read through the links in my signature for some great beginner info. We are all here to share experiences and knowledge, so don't be shy to ask - that's the only way you'll find out ;)
    There are a couple of experienced reefers in CPT, so good help is not too far away. There are also some very good fish stores there, some of them are sponsors on MASA. Good luck with your new project :wave2:

9. Joezy

Joezy Thread Starter

Jeez thanks, I had no idea that you guys would respond so quickly...

I am in the Rylands/Athlone area....

I've been told to buy Aquality LR and Aragonite from the same place. Is this a good place to get my equipment and LR.

From what I've heard, your LR is really important and along with good lighting, flow and temperature control, these form the backbone of your tank. Is this true?

Could someone please tell me what waterflow and LR does?

I will need to take pics of my tank and post it so that you guys can help me with my progress.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Good idea to post pics, incase you need to modify something for the better. Is the tank drilled and do you have a sump? If yes, what size? Pictures?
    Live rock is part of the biological filtration of the system, there are lots of life on and in it filtering the water. It also provides hiding places for fish, invertebrates and mini crustaceans like copepods and amphipods. You need good flow inside the tank to keep detritus (fish poo and uneaten food) in the water column so that it can be skimmed out by the protein skimmer which is a vital part of the mechanical fitration. If detritus settles and it breaks down it can cause high nitrates which is toxic to some corals and invertebrates.

11. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

12. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome Joezy

13. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

WELCOME TO MASA

14. crispin

crispin

Welcome Joeyz, great to have you here before you start off. There are so many experienced reefers on here that we are bound to have done all the mistakes many times over. Our collective experience should be able to keep you on the right path.

Tobes has some great reading for you to start with....just follow the little white hand.... and I see he has some of the basics covered already.

but the more infor you give us, especially now before you start off the easier it is for us to advise you :) Whomever you have been chatting to is giving you sterling advice with regards to the LR and substrate being the backbone ( personally i think its the lungs) but either way it forms the main component of your biological filtration. That takes a while to mature and settle, develop and mature. Once it has and all the cycles are over then we can start adding a few things :)

When I started out I really made a nuisance of myself and went to see other guys tanks. Made a few friends that way too. Its more valuable in my opinion to see what other people do right than have them come tell you what to do. Look all over MASA and other forums, then go see tanks. Try see what the principles are and how they function to keep the system running and pristine, that way you will be able to customise your system when you are ready:)

Welcome to MASA and marines, great to have you here :)

15. Al

Al

Welcome to the Forum.

16. keyaam

keyaam

You can come see my tank if you want. Just drop me a pm

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Joezy! I see the okes have beat me to welcoming you in a really decent way!

Great to have you on-board man!

We have some great reefers here in Cape Town. My tank is ok - I am VERY good at keeping LARGE nemmies... especially the aptaisia species ;) (trust me - you DON'T WNAT THEM!)

If you can - try and get yourself the BEST skimmer you can afford - you don't absolutely HAVE to, but it does help a HUGE amount, to make your tank "more bullet proof". The life rock and deep sand bed is DEFINITELY a MUST as well.

Water flow is important when it comes to keeping corals and anemones..... Keeping fish only, is not such a HUGE problem. As is lighting...... The lighting is not REALLY as important if you want to start off with FISH ONLY....

BUT - as soon as you want to go slightly more advanced, and want to look at keeping corals - then your water parameters and water chemistry starts making a huge difference (therefor the best skimmer as possible)...... and the amount of light that the corals and anemone's requires.... there cannot be enough.....

Other than that - please ask as many questions as you can/need to - that you can be the BEST reefkeeper that you CAN BE!

Good luck - and enjoy!

18. Joezy

Joezy Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you guys in on my progress.

I met up with the owner of a place called Aquality. His name is Liaqut. Jeez, this oke seems to be like a walking library....

So, anyways, I've bought my live rock and aragonite and I'm just giving them exposure in my tank for the time being. I'll landscape everything a little later, just want to get everything going first.

For the time being, I've got the flow (with a Boyu wavemaker) and the temperature correct. Also stabilised the tank (Stability), salt added, etc.

Here are some pics....nothing much to look at, and to add "salt to the wound"....lol
    I'm not much of a cameraman.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks,
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. JD167

JD167

Hey Joezy

Looking good. Always nice to get started and seeing things shame up. A 1.7M tank will take a lot of LR. Even though you walk out of the shop with what seems to be a ton of LR, once you dump them in your tank it all disappears. ;)

Best of luck with your setup.

Ps, I don't see a sump in the pics. Is the tank fitted with an overflow for a future sump or are you going to use a canister filter?

20. Joezy

Joezy Thread Starter

Hey JD

Trust me when I say that I know what you mean.!!!
    That LR just dissapeared when I put it in.
    Then you think....well that couple of grand didn't do much....lol

And try explaining to the misus that it's not just a rock....lol
    all you hear is "what! you paid how many thousand?!!!"....lol

To answer your question, the tank is fitted with an overflow for a sump.
    I'm going for a DSB...trying not to think of the cost for that yet :006:

Man, to think that a week ago I didn't know what LR was and now I'm using abbreviations like DSB....lol

21. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW Joezy! Some awesome pieces of life rock there, mate! Congrats on the progress so far!

Recent Posts