Hello All! New Member - Johannesburg! Where abouts do I get started?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am an avid diver but seeing as I study in JHB (studying chiropractics) I don't get much time to dive. So I'd love to set up a marine tank!

A few questions:

1) I live in Johannesburg - any good LFS I can visit to just start looking around and seeing what is on offer and what i'd like

2) I don't have massive amount of time for maintenance work (will be doing that over the weekend) so I'd like a setup with very efficient filtration

3) Not sure what size to go? Obviously i'm a student so lets say initial setup around R5000? I can put more into it as I go along (have a student job so income is pretty regular)

Was thinking of visiting some LFS's tomorrow morning, and advice??

Much thanks!
Matt

Do research and lots of it before you buy.

Decide whether you planning on keeping corals or not

How good are you at DIY, things like cabinets etc?

Ask question, re ask them again, and then before you buy ask again

btw. welcometomasa I am sure you will enjoy your stay:thumbup:

NB - I live in JHB - are there any reputable fish shops here I can go have a look at? :)

Have a look at the sponsors they have some great deals, and they all ship as well, as for JHB wait for the JHB guys to read this, I am from the eastern cape

Great thanks! :)

I've also read up on products like biobacter (bacteria culture for improving nitrification and de-nitrification in aquaria)

Do they work well? Are they recommended and available in SA?

Welcome Matt.

Check out the forums. There is one dedicated to selling and swopping.

Buying second hand is the way to go in the beginning. New set ups cost a small fortune, and many who start the hobby, give up:(.

imo in order of priority
1) Skimmer
2) Circulation
3) Lighting

Enjoy

Welcome to the forum Matt

Exotic Pets in Krugersdorp
Exotic Aquariums and Pets in Boksburg
PetStop in Pretoria

Those are the only 3 I know of on your side of the world.

Hi Matt, welcome to the madness that is reefkeeping, it's daft, it's expensive, BUT it is so rewarding that once you start -you will be hooked:thumbup:

Hi Matt, where in Joburg are you?

The three shops Viper mentioned are all good.

But on your budget I would look at getting a second hand system. Good bargains can be found if you prepared to look around.

Another option is a nice nano aquarium - these have become very popular and there are nice plug and play systems available. Exotics in Boksburg does the JBJ nanos and these are really cool. Check out the nano competition threads and see what others have done with these.

You can get one for around R2500 (24 gallon) and use the rest of your budget for liverock and live stock.

I live in Blairgowrie (randburg)

The only concern I have in regards to nano tanks is with the small water volume its much harder to maintain adequate water quality for the fish. Is this hard??

If I were to go nano, what would I be able to stock the nano with? My first choice is clown fish (perhaps a pair)

What else?

I live in Blairgowrie (randburg)

The only concern I have in regards to nano tanks is with the small water volume its much harder to maintain adequate water quality for the fish. Is this hard??

If I were to go nano, what would I be able to stock the nano with? My first choice is clown fish (perhaps a pair)

What else?

It is harder to maintain good parameters, but with a good water change regime it could be done without too much problems:thumbup:

Nano's are are more unstable cause of their small water volumes but if you are diligent with the water changes and top-ups you should have no problems.

Go to Exotics tomorrow and check them out. You'll be hooked. I am considering one for myself - just waiting for a little cash injection.

Hi, Mate! Welcome to the site. Here we all get on like a house on fire!:23:

Welcome Matt

2nd hand is the way to go, I check out a basic new system PRICE: R15-R20K

ENJOY :slayer:

Welcome to MASA!

Welcome matt165! :) Please think twice before you buy anything, and then ask on the forum first! Good luck. ;)

Back
Top Bottom