Hello all, new and interested in eels

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mgiddings, 18 Dec 2010.

1. mgiddings

mgiddings

Hi guys.

I am a reptile keeper, keeping a lot of snakes and lizards over the years, but my latest interest in is fish, tanks, corals and mainly...EELS. I have kept some fish before but nothing fancy.

They are extremely fascinating and really have sparked my attention.

So I am here to learn a bit more.

I have a few questions if that is ok.

1. Any help on keeping them? I see many different methods on the net
    2. What species is recommended for a total begginer?
    3. Where can they be obtained?
    4. What price do they fetch?

I look forward to learning a bit here.

Thanks
    Mike

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. Not sure what type fish you kept before, but if you never kept marines I suggest you read the link in my signature first on starting a marine tank. This will help you to understand the basics of marine keeping.
    I'm not an expert on keeping eels, but I know most of them are not reef safe and will eat smaller fish and invertebrates like shrimps etc. Some will even require live food.
    Snowflake eels are nice ;)

4. mgiddings

mgiddings Thread Starter

Thank you very much.

I am thinking of doing a fish only (as recommended) with one eel? Any idea what snowflakes go for? Any other eels that do well?

Last edited: 18 Dec 2010
  5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Nope, sorry - never seen them at a petshop. Where are you from?

6. mgiddings

mgiddings Thread Starter

Ok, maybe someone else can help.

I am from Pretoria East.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Go talk to Lanzo at Dorry pets, they are a sponsor on our site and might help you. They are in Henopspark in Centurion.

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Eels are lovely pets. One gets hours of pleasure and entertainment by watching their antics. AND are very easy to keep if you have the correct setup and financial support for them. When i say financial support i meen taking out a pension come insurance policy to look after the creature after you have passed on. Yes eels, like the African grey parrot, become very attached to you and need to be considered in ones will. They live for many years.

When a reefer queries the price of a fish, eel in your case, I get a little worried for the creatures well being. Simply because i foresee another eel that the owner cannot, or does not want any more when the novelty wares off. Homes for large eels are few. The price of eels are very affordable, like R180.00 or so for a youngster. Fully grown eels are hard to give away.

Should you be adamant that you want to keep an eel and have the wherewithal to look after one for the rest of your life. Cool :thumbup:. But Honestly they are best left in their natural environment.

9. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

10. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

welcometomasa

I Share the same interest on these amazing creatures. Please do research as much as possible before you purchase any marine animal!!!!!

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome to masa buddy! Im pretty sure that a snowflake eel would require a large tank and with my experience with eels is that they love to hide and you rarely see them (maybe its just me) .. I say start a simple tank and run it for a while then later reconsider if you want an eel :) ... There are thousands of many interesting species of fish which will be much easier to keep. Have s look at frog fish and lion fish (not saying these are easy to keep but alot more info and advice will be available foe them)
    Best of luck

12. Q89

Q89

:welcome6:

13. mgiddings

mgiddings Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

This can be a long term investment, no problem. I was thinking a four foot tank? THen get a single eel and fish? What fish can co-exsist with them?

14. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

15. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I had an eel for quite a long time and I was probably very lucky to have caught the right one because mine was very inquisitive. It would start moving around when I was close to the tank and took small fish immediately after they were put into the water. Yes, it did catch other expensive fish despite the fact that I kept it very well fed. I suspect this hunting was done at night because one day you would realize a fish is gone.

I now have 2 lions and a clown in my tank for more than a year I think and I enjoy them much more than the eel. You see them all the time and they get extremely tame. I breed guppies and feed them on that part of the time when I have not had the time to catch some glassies in the harbour. They will take the small fish out of the net once they are used to the tank and if I hold a small fish by the tail fin the bigger one will come and take it from my hand.

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

:thumbup:

17. mgiddings

mgiddings Thread Starter

Seems like clowns and lions may be a better option. Any pictures/info/prices you guys can provide me with?

Thanks for all the help.

Recent Posts