Hello all, from Riaan (suddenly I got a tank)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by RiaanP, 23 Aug 2008.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello All.
    I must introduce myself, Hello All.
    I "inherited" / "looking after" whatever after my brothers tank. He is in the process of moving townhouses, going overseas, whatever else. The result is that his marine tank ended up at my place for now.
    It is a 500L tank, Live rock, no corals and other nice things, only 4 different types of mushrooms.
    Livestock, 2 Yellow tangs, 2 Sail fin Tangs, 2 yellow face Gobies , 2 cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp and some snails (not enough) and some tube worms. OK before everybody tells me that the two different types of tangs do not work together..., yes they do show off a lot, but luckily they are all the same size. But sometime either the sail fin or yellows have to move to another place.
    Tank got two power heads, below sump, with useless protein skimmer, and bio balls and tube like ceramic stuff in it. I do not like the sump layout inside, but the sump is fully enclosed with glass sliding doors and that prevents a lot of water condensate in the cupboard. Must see the inside the next morning when I forget the doors open. Helps a lot with evaporation, as I add less that 20L during the month. Tank also got glass lids.
    Still learning, and found a lot of different views on the net. Depends if the site promotes certain products or not. But it seams that everybody's setup is different.
    Tank was running a year at my brothers place, and here for 2 months. Interesting thing is that he never did water changes. Even with the move to my place. And the tank seems stable.
    I did overfeed in the beginning, then a lot of bristle worms appear, then some algae stuff (like small branched trees maybe 3mm tall max) on the rocks, but both populations collapsed now that I feed less at a time.

See you all later.
    Riaan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Riaan

Thanks for starting a thread, you do know pics are compulsory :whistling:

The non - water change regime, will work for this sort of "fish only" system, but you will have problems if you increase your livestock, or start introducing more sensitive corals and when then those Tangs get bigger and those Sailfins will get massive and need to eat shit loads of food.

Concerning the Tangs, you maybe lucky and get away with having these pairs of fighters, but unlikely, as they sexually mature they will bring out the knifes and adult Tangs can rip each other apart, so watch their behaviour.

Mushrooms are consider corals, the soft variety :whistling:

In my setup I encourage evaporation as I dose kalkwasser via my auto-top, once again this is not essential for a fish only system, but if you introduce SPS corals or clams, it is very important. As water evaporates the auto top automatically fills the tank and keeps the level consant.

As those Tangs grow bigger you may need to get a decent skimmer as eat loads when they are bigger.

IMO get rid of the bioballs and noodles, rather look at a sump with DSB, macroalgae and liverock

Good luck with your system :thumbup:

Last edited: 23 Aug 2008
  4. Christo

Christo

WELCOME RIAAN!!!

5. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

yes!!! one more guy in pta:slayer:

hey man, glad to see that you have taken over your brothers tank.

war has sad every thing already.

can you please add some pics of the dt(display tank) and the engine room, this will help us help you:thumbup:

6. crispin

crispin

Welcome mate, next time you see your boet buy him a beer and say thanks for the tank:)

Warr seems to have hit the nail squarely on the head already, but give us a few pics of the engine room, and Display Tank ( DT) and lets see if there are any mods you could do.

the only thing i would add, although water changes are not complusory in FOWLR like you have, its still a very good idea. All tanks need new water occasionally (even bath water tanks) and you will be adding new trace elements etc all the time.

Do you have a hydrometer? What are your SG levels?

i ask ask you say you dont add water, just use from the auto top up.Are you using RO for auto?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks for the tips and stuff said already.

Yes I top up with RO water bought from the LFS.
    No Hydrameter (yet) but the salt on the thermometer got that green line that shows the salt level, And it is on it. Did read that the algae stuff thrives on PO to high and must do a water change to help it. So next this week must get salt water and RO water from the LFS to "refresh" things. Will play with the camera thing later today.

8. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi Riaan, welcome to MASA,
    Warr's suggestions are good, but do the changes slowly, get the skimmer first and once settled start to slowly remove the bioballs and ceramic rings (say a tenth of the amount every few days) this will allow the liverock bacteria to take over the bio filtration properly.

What type of skimmer do you currently have? we should ber able to get it working properly for you.

9. RiaanP

Ok, here is some pictures.Tank from front Right.
    [​IMG]

From Right side
    [​IMG]

Sump. All enclosed with sliding glass doors. This helps a lot with water condensate in the cupboard.
    [​IMG]

Lights, note not mounted to the canopy, but laying on conduit pipes that is across the top. 2 T5 units, 3 globes each, Blue and white.

[​IMG]

10. RiaanP

And some live stuff.

[​IMG]
    2 Yellow Tangs and 2 Sailfin Tangs. Showing off.

[​IMG]
    A Gobie, 2 cleaner shrimps and nice worm.

11. RiaanP

Skimmer is a "Aquarium Systems SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer"

Either I have no extra protein in the tank, or this thing is useless. Can see in the sump picture what is pushed out after running a day.

12. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

With the way the tangs shit then i'd say the slimmer is in need of adjustment or replacement, can you adjust the air flow on this type of skimmer?

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Just for interest sake, that is not a worm, but rather a tube anemone ;)

14. JacoP

JacoP

Hi all

I’m the brother - Seems my gipsy lifestyle and aquariums does not work together so well. Out of three aquariums one is still with me – a 320l Malawi tank. The other one was a 120l mixed spesies tropical tank.

During May I moved into my sisters house, a temporary arrangement (6 months) but after moving the marine tank the house was promptly sold – so I move again end of May. My parents house a temporary arrangement (till year end), but now it seems I move again just don’t know when and where yet.

During the first move I lost all but most in the marine tank and had lost of bacteria problems with the Malawi tank. The sail fin tangs, shrimps and gobies was not part of the first move. The gobies came after the second move.

Only about three things different between the two moves – three or four weeks apart.

1. No water change – the fish seem to stress enough without it. During the first move I changed about 180l. Totally overboard, but I did not have the means to transport more water .

2. Some live rock traveled with the fish, seem to stress them less. The shrimps traveled one per container in total darkness.

3. The other thing done differently. The tank was not cleaned, the sand was not washed and the water was so murky that we could not stack the live rock properly when we added the livestock. Don’t exactly know if this stressed the fish more or less.

The most important difference – nothing was dead.

Well – my brother seem to enjoy the aquarium a lot – would also advise a water change – maybe go help him this weekend. Maybe a good idee to do two 30l water changes a week apart.

About that protein skimmer – It used to work well. I think that there is not much to skim with the few fish in the tank.

One thing that irritates me about marine aquariums is the LFS. And almost all of them. They are more interested in selling you the livestock and less in if it is good for your system. The sail fin tangs is the perfect example. The idiot knew I had yellow tangs – he sold them to me. I knew I could not add more yellow tangs but thought the sail fins was a brilliant idee. The same idiot sold me a flame angel two weeks after I bought a corral beauty from him. Guess who won. Haven’t visited his shop in a while.

Before adding anything to a tank it seems one cant reed enough because listening to the LFS is sometimes not a good Idee.

If I could only restore this tank to its former glory my brother would really enjoy the aquarium.

Anyway enjoy your aquariums.

Jaco P

15. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

yip those rock of mine will look nice in your tank

16. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

those ceramic noodles is a big NO NO:nono:

17. RiaanP

Why are these noodles a big no-no? Then also the bioballs must be a no-no.
    The small balls that is in the picture in the section between the noodles and the return section,I moved them to float in the return section. There is a layer of sand and some small pieces of live rock at the left, first chamber with the proteien skimmer. I get some skimate now, but the skimmer have to be replaced with something better.

18. bushwacker_69

bushwacker_69

coz they all build up major nitrates...and thats exactly waht you dont want at all

19. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

bio balls and ceramic stones are big nitrate factories, i had it in my system and i couldn't get my levels below 50ppm and it increased by the day, so with the help of masa i changed mine to a dsb and nitrates is zero since then.

so if you can change the sump and add a dsb and add a better skimmer...you will see what i mean;)

20. lv

lv

Hi RiaanP

Welcome MASA

After looking at your engine room I have a few comments and ideas that might help.

1. I would remove the wooden divider in the cabinet to provide you with more space.
    You might have to support the center of the cabinet, but I'm sure that won't be to
    difficult.
    2. I would buy a 4ft tank and design your own sump (3 chambers:The biggest chamber
    in the center for a DSB). DSB stands for Deep Sand Bed, check out some of the
    threads on the site for more info.
    3. I would replace all your t5 bulbs. Make sure the new bulbs are rated nothing less
    than 10 000k (anything lower and the water will look yellow)
    4. Place your new sump outside the cabinet, use your current return pump to feed the
    new sump. You will need another return pump from your new sump to the display.
    The new sump should run for about three weeks before it is mature enough to carry
    the bio load. While you are waiting for the sump DSB to mature (+/- 3 weeks),
    you can remove your old filter material in stages.
    5. Please insure that both your return pumps have ball valves fitted on the pipping to
    control flow.
    5. Once the new sump and DSB is mature remove the old sump.
    6. Mount a light in your cabinet and get some cheto in the DSB chamber.

Cheers

viper357 likes this.
  21. RiaanP

Update on the tank
    [​IMG]

4 of the 6 t5 54w lights replaced
    1 15000k Geisemann aquablue
    2 12000k white
    1 actinic
    extra liverock (from Lanzo)
    New Tube Anemone + 4 snails (2 Whelk and 2 turbo like)
    2 Sailfin Tangs swapped for 6 Yellow Tail Blue Damsels and 2 Skunk Clowns
    New Sump light with 3 14w energy savers

Recent Posts