Hello all, from Riaan (suddenly I got a tank) The brother

Discussion in 'New Members' started by JacoP, 25 Aug 2008.

1. JacoP

JacoP

Hi all

I’m the brother - Seems my gipsy lifestyle and aquariums does not work together so well. Out of three aquariums one is still with me – a 320l Malawi tank. The other one was a 120l mixed spesies tropical tank.

During May I moved into my sisters house, a temporary arrangement (6 months) but after moving the marine tank the house was promptly sold – so I move again end of May. A temporary arrangement (till year end), but now it seems I move again just don’t know when and where yet.

During the first move I lost all but most in the marine tank and had lost of bacteria problems with the Malawi tank. The sail fin tangs, shrimps and gobies was not part of the first move. The gobies came after the second move.

Only about three things different between the two moves – three or four weeks apart.

1. No water change – the fish seem to stress enough without it. During the first move I changed about 180l. Totally overboard, but I did not have the means to transport more water .

2. Some live rock traveled with the fish, seem to stress them less. The shrimps traveled one per container in total darkness.

3. The other thing done differently. The tank was not cleaned, the sand was not washed and the water was so murky that we could not stack the live rock properly when we added the livestock. Don’t exactly know if this stressed the fish more or less.

The most important difference – nothing was dead.

Well – my brother seem to enjoy the aquarium a lot – would also advise a water change – maybe go help him this weekend. Maybe a good idee to do two 30l water changes a week apart.

About that protein skimmer – It used to work well. I think that there is not much to skim with the few fish in the tank.

One thing that irritates me about marine aquariums is the LFS. And almost all of them. They are more interested in selling you the livestock and less in if it is good for your system. The sail fin tangs is the perfect example. The idiot knew I had yellow tangs – he sold them to me. I knew I could not add more yellow tangs but thought the sail fins was a brilliant idee. The same idiot sold me a flame angel two weeks after I bought a corral beauty from him. Guess who won. Haven’t visited his shop in a while.

Before adding anything to a tank it seems one cant reed enough because listening to the LFS is sometimes not a good Idee.

If I could only restore this tank to its former glory my brother would really enjoy the aquarium.

Anyway enjoy your aquariums.

Jaco P

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi fella, good to see you, so what is your gypsy lifestyle up to lately:)

4. JacoP

JacoP Thread Starter

Off to NZ for 3 weeks on the 5th, then plan the rest.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes my Boet is online,
    Nice site Jaco?

6. JacoP

JacoP Thread Starter

Is the water change on for sat? I will get the water.

7. JacoP

JacoP Thread Starter

what is your feeling on my view on LFS have you had same ex ever

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Unfortunately we hear these horror stories far too often :(

9. crispin

crispin

too true, but you can seriously limit the damage of a sales pitch by simply doing your own research.

the more you guys ask in here before getting into a lfs the better:)

ive even been kicked out of one for stuffing up a bad sale:) yes am proud of that!

10. JacoP

JacoP Thread Starter

luck has it that one learns. I just cant stress to new people how much money reading can save them. Review your lfs. Trust can save you a lot. Not only money.

11. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Most are good, some are not, lessons to learn, but these forums are open and honest, i'm not going to sell you anything, so i have no other motive but to try to help;)

12. JacoP

JacoP Thread Starter

Thank you. one question. The tank have high PO levels at this stage (number of water changes) - I am to to happy to do a large water change ever again - not even on my tropical tank. How do I get the PO down the fastest?

Recent Posts