Hello, Advice for noob

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Karman, 10 Aug 2012.

1. Karman

Karman

Hi All

I'm pondering the thought of getting a Marine Tank, the Boss (misses) already approved, so that hurdle is over, but now the next million has presented itself.

We currently have 2 Fresh tanks, and got fair understanding about basics of fish keeping.(We been running tanks for last ~8 years)

We have space in our Living room for ~1m X ~1m square but i'm not sure if one should start with something smaller/bigger? Otherwise there space in the games roof for another 1.2m rectangle (The other tanks is in there, but prefer the living room)

Of course, we like everyone don't want to waste/spend to much money and I would rather spend on good (not overpriced) kit now than buy twice.

We also very DIY orientated so if anything can be done cheaper via DIY it will be great.

Ok, enough warra warra.

First equipment advice needed:

Which R/O unit should i get. I want to use it on the Fresh tanks as well.

Thanks in advance

Liaan

Last edited: 10 Aug 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. erratiC

erratiC

Hi Liaan,

Best recommendation would be to get you to get hold of @marco, the Waterboy. I, and loads of other people, have purchased our RO machines through him - he would be able to give you the best advice on what to get with regards to your Fresh Water tank as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa liaam, its great to have you on board:)

starting a marine tank is a leap into the unknown and takes ones breath away a little. Many (if not most) of us on masa started out with bathwater tanks and the step up to marines is a steep learning curve. There are many aspects of the husbandry in fresh water system which will stand you in good service, but there are a number of new things you will need to learn. The good news is we have lots of experience on masa and can guide you through the process and help all you want:)

a 1m cube is a beautiful tank. Done rimless and with the overflow and return plumbed on one side means you get a tuly beautiful perspective from around the tank. Personally I like long WIDE tanks, but a cube doesn have a beauty in its symetry. as for going big or small....go as big as you can, within reason. The bigger vollumes will help with stability of the water and are far more forgiving on the small mistakes you will make along the way. Small things like how much salt in the water have a HUGE influence and its easier to get it right in bigger systems, plus you are not as limited with regards to what you put into the tank and you have a greater array of equipment you can put onto the tank, all helps in the filtration and makes for an easier set up, allthough it can be more expensive. I recall setting up a 800l tank and spending slightly under another masa member who set up a 250l tank because I knew what to buy and what would be applicable.

are you planning on building the tank yourself or are you going to get one buildt? a 'rimless 1m X 1m X 650cm depth would be fantastic and with the lighting now available in SA you could have a very beautiful addition to your living room:)

5. Karman

Karman Thread Starter

Thanks erratiC, Contacted him,

Crispin,

I've not decided on the tank building as yet, but the stand/cabinet etc I will do myself. It will all depend on the "extra" cost the "Warranty" peace of mind. (if you even get someone that will guarantee there work). ;-) .. but that is still ages away...

L:

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

7. Karman

Karman Thread Starter

Hi belindamotion

Thanks very much,

Read all those already .. and few 100 other articles. .. few 1000 more to go!
    :thumbup:

L:

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

...:thumbup:...love it when Members do prep work 1st...:thumbup:..definately on the right path...:)

9. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

Welcome Karman

The best thing you can do in this hobby is ready, ready and more ready, oh and be patient, very patient. ;)

10. PopGun

PopGun

Welcome!

11. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

12. Karman

Karman Thread Starter

Ehlo all.

Ok, Next step .. Tank advice:

Is there any Good tank builders in Cpt that can build cube of about 900x900x650?

Or should i rather go about building myself.. start with sump as test grounds, and go from there?

thanks
    L:

13. Mariner

Mariner

Welcome dude

14. Jayceew

Jayceew

Nothing wrong with building it yourself, just remember it will be a showpiece in your living room so it should look good.

I have built a couple of small tanks ans sumps myself but rather had a professional build my current tank as the small flaws in my previous tanks irritated me. Had to look at them every day!

I suppose however other guys that built their own are very proud of it and can then live with these flaws.

15. Raboebi

Raboebi

Welcome to Masa

Recent Posts