Heating problems

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vincentputter, 1 May 2012.

1. vincentputter

vincentputter I love Nayn cat!

Hey guys! I've mentioned in another thread that I'm going to restart my tank and I did. I did It yesterday (30/04/2012). I removed the sump and placed the 3500L/h return pump into my +- 40l DT to create movement (like a power head).

The problem that I'm facing now Is heat. The tanks temp. Is stabilizing @ +-40°C.

Now how do I explain my current situation?
    1) I work as a bartender so there is no money to buy a chiller unless I save up for one.
    2) Its a very small tank so there Is no room for a huge fan to keep It cool.

I think/know It's the return pump that's generating the heat. If I replace the return pump with a power head with the same L/h than that would mean that the temp. would remain the same? If the temp. remains the same than I'll HAVE to save up for a chiller.

What do you guys think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi, what size is the tank? Does the tank have a hood? Easiest way is to put 2 or 3 old pc fans in the hood, if possible.

4. viper357

One of those numbers can't be right, a 3500 lph pump in a 40 litre tank?

5. vincentputter

vincentputter Thread Starter I love Nayn cat!

I know! It's crazy right? The pump has a nozzle that splits the jet into 2 directions (left and right) so the flow is still a bit slow for my taste.

The tank is about 38l maybe 39l and yes, the tank have a lid. I'll put some PC fans in there and see what happens.

6. viper357

Ok, yeah, see if you can find a couple of old pc fans, the ones from the power supplies are pretty good, make sure you check if they are 12v or 220v before wiring them up. Cut holes in the hood if you can and have the fans blowing onto or across the surface of the water. Keep an eye on water level though as your evaporation is going to increase quite a bit so you'll need to be on the ball with your top-ups. If you do it right then you should be able to bring your temp down quite substantially. I'm not sure about that 3500 pump though, I use a 2500 for my 4ft tank. But if it is so, then that's like putting a kettle element into your small tank, lol, get rid of it. :p I put a little 1000 lph pump into my salt bucket, close the lid and that warms up the water nicely, no need for a heater, lol.

7. viper357

Is this your tank?

[​IMG]

8. vincentputter

Yes that is my tank. It is still @ the other house and I'm going to get rid of it coz there is no space for It ANYWHERE.......! There is a guy down my road that wants It for R1000 as a fresh water tank.

Oh and my 21st is in 23 days, maybe I can get a chiller as a birthday gift from my family.

9. rakabos

rakabos

40c ? Get another thermometer to double check that

10. vincentputter

I've got 2 in my tank. The one says 36°C and the other one says 38°C. It is now 8:30pm and both is saying 35°C.

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Rather get rid of the pump and get one thats designed to create flow. That will help with heat as those return pumps can generate alot of heat.
    But id also check both theremometers.
    What temp is your hesater set on?

shaunn likes this.
  12. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

yeah could be the heater..... ive seen tanks run up to 31-32deg celcius but 40 is a ????? to be dealt with...i recently had a 39litre nano setup and on the hottest day it would reach 28-28 deg, but like 459b said the fans work,i would put mine on and in less than a hr my temp is 25-26deg.... remember to face one fan in and one out,in that way,1will blow cool and one would extract the heat,, just works quicker in that way

13. vincentputter

I haven't put the heater in yet due to the heat. I found huge fan and I put It behind the tank. I will see If It helps a bit. I'll let you guys know In an hour or so.

14. 459b

That will help a bit but will casue alot of evaporation so yuoll need to have a very good auto top up.

You mention that the flow isnt as good as youd like? 3500l/hr in a 40l tank is ALOT, are you sure the pump is working propely? Faulty pump could also be causing higher temps.

15. vincentputter

LOL! I've been doing top ups like crazy. The pump Is like 4/5 years old. I'm a bit scared to buy new stuff for this tank coz I'm buying an Aquaria 37l from Brentv so the tank that I have now is going to be replaced with the Aquaria 37l.

16. SteveZi

SteveZi

:) just take that pump out dude.

what livestock do you want to put in this 40liters?

17. 459b

A circualtion pump for a 40l can be used in the aquaria tank as well. Will prob be cheaper to buy a circulation pump than all the top up water youll use.

18. SteveZi

SteveZi

I agree with David - one good R100 tip from a sexy girl at the bar... buy yourself a little powerhead.
    Won't need the heater either.
    or consider one of those mini hang-on filters ( do you have filtration on this mini-tank?)

19. vincentputter

Ok! I've made my decision. I'm going to end this tank, buy a power head and wait for my Aquaria 37l tank. The only problem Is... what am I going to do with my live rock. I suppose I can keep It In my friends tank for the time being.

The tank that I want to create is a reef only tank but with soft corals like hammer, frog spawn, candy cane, mushrooms, pulsating xenia etc.

20. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Dude - just go get a small sunsun cheap cheap powerhead type thingy at your LFS and put it in. 90% of your problems will be gone.

21. 459b

What other filter/pumps do you have? Keep the liverock cycling in the 40l, will shorten cycling time of the aquaria tank.

Recent Posts