Heaters

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by VicZA, 20 Aug 2013.

1. VicZA

VicZA

So the heater seems to be an integral (although cheap) part of the tank setup ... the Jager seems to be one of the better ones .... the question is as such:

How do you decide what heater size you need ? Purely on litres of DT ? If you buy an oversized heater (say 300W for 300L DT) is that a problem?

Does this heater ALWAYS use 300W ? .... ouch for the electricity bill !!:eek:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

The heater will stay on until the temperature reaches the preset temperature. So the biger the heater the shorter it will be on but if it is too small it will be on the whole time and won't get the temperature right and waste electricity. So in my opinion the bigger the better.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

They only turn on when needed. You'll find in the summer months that it hardly ever goes on and you have more issues keeping tank cool!
    Buying an oversized heater is better than getting one that's too small. You can't only go on tank size, where you live and how cold it gets also plays a role.

5. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Nelspruit ... ave winter temp is 20 and summer is probably 35 ... :lol: ... but I live in the mountains so can get quite cool ;)

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do not buy cheap heaters either. The Jeager when it stops, will be in the off position. Cheap heaters use a contact point as switch. And that point eventually arc up and stays in the closed position. Result will be that heater will run permanently and if you do use an operated heater, it will boil your tank. For cheap heaters, rather buy 2 that is underrated for your system size. That way if one packs up your tank will not turn everything inside into stew.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

One watt per litre of water. But try to go to 1.5 watt to the litre. Jaeger heaters are the best, IMO I have two 300 watts for my 820 litre tank and they keep my water at a 25' in winter.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2013
  8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yes Jager are great and sicce scuba heaters...

heaters have to settings, 0% or 100% on :)

9. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

I agree go Jager and not just one as in winter if one fails you have a back up, I run 6x300W and 3x200W in 3000lts and they manage to keep the temp at 25 in winter.

10. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Awesome !! Thanks for all the info everyone

Recent Posts