Kanga

Heaters

1. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Kanga submitted a new Showcase Item:

Heaters

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Mar 2016
    Jenaid likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

Very informative Kanga, Thx

If you don't mind, if I could add one thing to this under the "control" heading which often gets over looked

hysteresis : its basically the difference in the ON and OFF temp of the thermostat. Eg: Heater may be set to 26C, but will only turn ON at say 25.5C and turn OFF at 26.5C. therefore the hyteresis is 1C. As far as I know most cheep heaters can have a hysteresis of up to 2-3C, so don't always but the cheapest, think that the Jager claim a 0.5C which is pretty good.

4. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

What about solar heating? I just read in the News Paper that the number of solar geysers being built in a year climbed from 20 000 to 200 000 in SA. Do you guys think that something like solar heating might be possible for our aquariums. Go a little greener... :thumbup:

5. Dane

Dane

@Louis - Solar water heating is one of the easiest things to implement! Don't need fancy panels etc. Just buy some lengths of black piping, put them on your roof in loops and they will get plenty hot! The only thing would be working out a system that turns the regulation on and off. Obviously becomes a problem when theres no sunlight, but I think its a great idea to compliment traditional heaters.

6. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

You can still keep a regular heater in the tank, just incase the sunlight won't cut it on a cloudy day! It would save a lot of energy during the winter months, but the problem remains how to control it. It like a diy chiller; your heaters have to correct the temperature the whole time... with this setup, the chiller will have to correct the whole time. This might use a LOT more power than a normal heater.

I am really interested in finding more energy effcient ways to run a reef aquarium. Next year I want to build a 1000liter setup, but the amount of power the lights on a system like that use, can almost run a whole household...

I think it was on the news about two days ago, that the international bank wont give Eskom a loan, because they use to much coal... we increase the coal usage because of our high power demand, that leads to reefs bleaching, and me not getting my fish and corals in the future!!! :nono:

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Mar 2010
Recent Posts