Heaters - how do they work?

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Jaco Schoeman, 14 Jan 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey guys. Just a stupid question I have been having, and this just shows that even those who think they know it all doesn't know much... :lol::lol::lol:

How does a heater work, or how do you set the temp? My heaters never really ran on any of my tanks (my current heater isn't even plugged in), but I think this winter will be a cold one.

Basically this is what I wanna know:

If I want a water temp of 24deg, do I set the heater at 24deg, or must I set it at like 22deg? When does the heater kick in? Is it when the water drops one or two or three degrees below the set temp? And then when does it switch off, is it when water is back up to 24 or like 26?

Please help me out:p

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Okay so let me take a bash at this.

There is 2 components to a heater.

The Heater and the Thermostat. So basically the thermostat controls when the heater needs to be turned on or off. and as you said when it reaches the desired tempreature it will turn off and turns on when the water is needed to be heated.

My system also doesnt use the heater that much cause my MH's heat the water enough to keep it warm.

Just a warning. Make sure you heater is at 25 all the time. All you need is that one day when the heater isnt working and there's a cold spell then you screwed!

Chiller - to cool
    Heater - to heat

Basically to balance things out. :) Hope this helps

viper357 likes this.
  4. Sentari

Sentari

or this

Most commonly, aquarium heaters are immersion style heaters[5], these heaters consist of a glass tube containing a heating element wound about a ceramic or glass insert. Some glass immersion heaters also contain sand, and most, but not all, are fully submersible.[1] The glass tube also contains an adjustable thermostat which turns the heating element on to maintain the required temperature.[1] This thermostat is often a bimetallic strip; because the strip contains two metals, the metals will expand at different rates when the temperature rises, causing the strip to bend. This strip carries the current, but breaks the current at the correct temperature. The setting of this bimetallic strip can be adjusted.[4][6] More advanced thermostats may use microchip technology.[4] A small light in the heater is often included to indicate operation.[6]
    In a small aquarium, one heater can be used; however, in a larger aquarium, two or more may be used. This has the added advantage of one heater being able to compensate in the event of one heater malfunctioning.[4]

5. lIghty

lIghty

OK, a heater uses electrical energy and converts it into heat energy, same as a stove...

The temp is controlled by a thermostat, basically a temperature switch, it sensors the temp and turn the heater ON or OFF depending on the temp. Now, there are many types of thermostats available, but the most common used in our type of heaters are made from a "bi-metal" strip that controls the "switch" part of it. The problem of these mechanical thermostats is they have a high amount of hysteresis, this is basically the the amount of temperature difference between the unit switching ON and turning OFF again.

Eg, if the heater is set to 25degC (the SET POINT), it may turn ON when the water get down to 24.9/25 but may only turn OFF at maybe 26.5. Therefore the Hysteresis is 1.5degC. This range may be offset from the "SET POINT" (still set to 25) too, Eg. it may only turn ON at 24 DegC but turn OFF at 25.5.

Electronic thermostats usually have very low hysteresis or may even have user adjustable setting.

Most cheaper heaters have a hysteresis of about 1-2 deg C, but I do know the Jagers advertise a 0.5 deg C.

hope this helps?

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Makes sense. So one should really invest in an expensive heater, as the difference between off and on can be quite big, possibly having major impact on the LS.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Heaters make the water warm... that is how they work :)

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Some of us run two heaters just in case ;)

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

So the question needs to be asked.

If aircon manufacturers can make heating and cooling in one unit, why not with the chillers ?

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

good idea, titanium or a good jager is always a good idea

11. lIghty

lIghty

They do Warr, Hailea makes the HC-1000BH and bigger if I remember correctly.

12. Andreas

Andreas

Yip Justin is correct. The HC-1000 has a heating and cooling function but they are quite expensive

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

What is expensive ?

14. lIghty

lIghty

I know Preshan has a chiller for sale, the Hailea Aqua Medic HL-1200CB, but now sure if it has heating too?

15. IMarine

IMarine

JUst a tip on a heater, pls always have your heater standing straight up and not flat as your thermostat does not work 100% correct when laid on a slant or flat, pls just good advice given, and back to the topic

16. Andreas

Andreas

Around R8000. I think that's quite a lot of money to spend for keeping your water temp constant;)

Recent Posts