Heat-loss when removing canopy

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Raven, 12 Mar 2014.

1. Raven

Raven

Hi,
    I'm looking at going the LED route. Already have some prices...

But currently I have 3 T5's 80W within a wooden canopy.
    The problem is, with the LED units I will have to remove the canopy. (About time as well - really not looking good anymore)

My question now is, how much heat will be lost - especially during winter months? The canopy helped quite a bit. And I've always used a blanket in the evenings to cover the tank over the canopy. This was done to save some heat/electricity.

What can I do when going the LED route to keep some heat?
    If one use glass to cover the tank - will that work?
    OR will that have an impact on the efficiency of the LEDs?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a g;lass cover will get dirty and do block some efficiency from the LEDS.

In the summer the open hood will be nice to have. As you will not overheat the system. But winter time., and I see you are in Vereeniging, heat loss is an issue. Long time ago I had a tank standing outside under my Lapa. And I also covered it at night with 2 old sleeping bags. It works.

Depending how you mount the LEDS. If you got a frame coming up behind the tank, you can easily throw the blanket over that frame as well. If LEDS hangs from wires from the ceiling, then you got a little problem.

4. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

Thanks!
    I will probably not go for the hanging options. Don't really like that idea.

One of the sponsors came back with the suggestion to go with two aquabeauty's.

Now, everyone that's using this - what is your view about this product?
    Fairly priced for what one get?

And will I really gain anything by switching from the 3 T5's to LED?

5. Omnitank

Omnitank

Hey Raven
    I've been wondering about the same thing as I switched from T5's to LED's just after last year's winter. What is aquabeauties? - never even heard of it.
    I'm considering a piece of good old-fashioned Polystyrene to cover the top of the tank, only during the night.
    Tagging along to hear some suggestions.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope, that will impact you gas exchange during the night.

7. Omnitank

Omnitank

How so, RiaanP?
    Is it not the same with a canopy?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Canopy normally open at the back.
    Or some vents for the heat from the lights to escape

9. Omnitank

Omnitank

Not all canopies have openings? I don't wanna sound wise, but I'm very ignorant about gas exchanges during the night. Where can I read about that, @RiaanP?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

check your PH reading in the morning.

Depending on your sump. Most guys have an enclosed sump area. Cabinet around their sump. Also part why you run the lights of your refugium in opposite to the display tank. If your sump is open then you should not have an issue with gas exchanges, unless the power goes out.

But looking at the display tank only, surface agitation is needed to promote exchanges of CO2 and O2. Having the display tank sealed of with glass sliders prevents gas exchange happening in the display. Then you are 100% dependent on your sump being able to provide enough exchange. Some systems then also have those enclosed sumps with the sliding doors. Sealing the sump area. So how and where will the system breath.

What is normally given as advice when guys say that they got an extended power outage and no power backup. We all tell them to get battery operated airpumps. Put that on the display. The amount of gas exchange that happens between the bubbles and the water is minimal, compared to the exchange on the water surface. The bubbles helps to draw up water from deeper down in the tank, bringing that up to the surface. Other options are to stir the water, why, to get the lower down oxygen depleted water up to the surface so that the system can "breath"

Skimmers running in an enclosed cabinet, also tend to provide less oxygen into the skimmer body than those that can draw in fresh air from somewhere else. You got your cheato and caulerpa running at night, plants takes up CO2, releases O2. During the day, the other way around, takes up O2 and releases CO2. So your air in the cabinet during the day will become more CO2 at the end of the day. Your skimmer pulls in that CO2, and puts more CO2 into your system as what you want to. Extending the skimmer air intake to take clean fresh air from outside the cabinet, will draw in more O2 than CO2. What the real extend of this is, I do not know. My skimmer pulls air from outside. Got a 20mm flexible hose connected to it and it can breath air freely from the fish room. I done it more for the noise. The suction noise is then in the fishroom and not in my lounge.

Having a small fan mounted in the cabinet, that can pull in air into the cabinet, will help with this.

Also, check this coming winter. What happens to your PH reading when you run your gas heaters. You got a closed up house to keep the cold outside. And you are burning up the free oxygen in the house. Check your tank PH. It will be lower, especially in the morning. And then you wonder why you get up so tired.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

while I typed in a long reply, irie ivan posted a few links :thumbup:... and my fingers are tired.

Recent Posts