Healthy DSB

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Neil H, 3 May 2010.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Hennie,

We often talk about a healthy DSB population, I am interested to know how we encourage this population, not so much interms of bacteria, but in terms of sand shifting creatures,

Are there things that we can buy, sand shifting stars, goby's, hermits, silver dollars?????? that would form part of a healthy DSB ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got two Babylonian Whelks cruising around there. Excellent sand stirrer. Only move the bit they go and hid under. But everyday another spot. But you must target feed them at least once or twice a week.

Then I got one big hermit keeping it clean.

4. Dane

Dane

I am now a bit confused! I thought the whole idea behind a DSB was not to stir the sand too much! I thought it was supposed to stratify and then the lower regions become oxygen free. Surely if you have too many sand stirrers they oxygenate the bed? Unless you have a very deep DSB?

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Dane - the top +-5 to 7cm of a DSB is AEROBIC in any case. So - stirring the top +-1 to 2cm does not have any negative effect on a DSB. It is the region BELOW the 1st 5 to 7cm that you do not want to disturb at all.....

6. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Yip JB, from what i am reading it seeeems like it is essential to have this top part worked over in a sence, just trying to figure out exactly what to encourage / buy and what not to

7. jacquesb

Neil - in my opinion, I agree fully with your last statement. I used to do this manually in any case, when I had a DSB in my tank. I never bothered with the DSB in my sump though (and still don't)..... AND, I have hermit crabs, starfish (not the true sandsifting stars), and snails in my tank..... and in each of my sump tanks I have some hermits...

8. Dane

Dane

Ah so these organisms all restrict their movement to the very top of the DSB, that makes sense then! :) I thought sand dollars can dig quite deep...

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And a peanut worm.
    Not sure how deep they go. But he is in there, somewhere.

10. Trev

Trev

Only problem with some stars and hermits in you DSB is that they munch all the pods but then again some might say if you have a hermit there you dont need pods but they actualy consume very different particals.

Trev

11. Mrabkin

Mrabkin

Stupid question... Would some periwinkels and/or sand prawns from the beach opposite my house assist me in my sump.. Have no livestock yet, so not worried about introducing anything funky...

12. Trev

Trev

They will DIE and start your cycle again

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

surely if you syphon or agitate top 5 to 7 cm of dsb moving oxygenated stuff down, it will reduce the anaerobic section(disturb it) cos the oxygen reduces as it goes deeper into the undisturbed dsb so it will go even deeper if rotated till lower in dsb? ps i have two pumps on top of my dsbs to prevent sediment settling.

14. Trev

Trev

sediment setteling on the DSb is an issue this is the pods should do there thing but some DSB have too much crap on them so the pumps are a good idea if it only creates just enough flow not to mess the sand up:thumbup:

15. jacquesb

Glen - you actually WANT detritus to settle on the DSB. That is what FEEDS the DSB, and the micro fauna....

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

im really confused, then why vacuum it?

17. jacquesb

Vacuuming your DSB, Glen, is the worst thing that you can do. Please don't do it again. Your DSB will be far better and healthier, if you stop.

18. Fires

Fires

Thats just like Jacques said.The more yakkie stuff on the DBS,The better it will work.If put a hermit Crab ontop of my dsb.Works fine for me !!!

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

As per Dr. Ron Shimek's article here - http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html

20. mandarinman

mandarinman

unless you are delirious from the op, what you are saying above is dont vacuum it but stir it every now and again. ps i dont vacuum my dsb,

21. jacquesb

LOL Glen - yeah. I am delirious alright! ;) (still high on the meds I was given - 3 weeks ago)....

And YES - only stir the top +-1cm of the DSB, and NOT the whole 5 to 7 cm layer ;) This will release hidden/trapped detritus, oxygen bubbles, and nitrogen bubbles.... The detritus will then act as food for the corals.....

Also - there should be some tiny micro fauna and their spawn that should be released together with the detritus...... The amount that is usually released, is not enough to cause any problems in your tank......

This will of course cause your tank to be milky white for about 30 to 40 minutes or so....

Recent Posts