HDMI cable help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Tony, 6 Nov 2009.

1. Tony

Tony

I just need to confirm a few things about HDMI cables.

Does one need to spend between R1000-00 and R1800-00 on an HDMI cable? Does a cheaper one give the same benefit or are those sales guys trying to con me as they are rattling on about cable speeds and better wiring?

I have recently purchased a blue ray player which comes with a HDMI cable. Is there any way of connecting the HDMI straight to my TV and run the sound through the amp and then the TV or do I have to run a cable through the amp and then the TV?

Any feedback would be appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

:eek: You're joking?

4. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

I'm afraid not. I nearly died when the cheapest one was 1000 bucks.

I was looking on the internet subsequently and guys have said that in reviews of expensive cables versus cheaper ones that they found no difference in the quality of the picture and that an expensive cable reads the 0 and 1 the same. The bottom line is to buy cheap but not too cheap

5. Jcc

Jcc

Hdmi is digital. Anybody telling you that there is a difference in cables is talking bull. Buy the cheapest. Either a cable work with full quility or not at all.

6. Jcc

Jcc

Sal some at hi fi corporation for R120 and at game for R200. Was looking to get one for the ps3

7. lIghty

lIghty

I believe there is a difference between the 2 cable, but you would probably never be able to see the difference in picture unless you have like a 200 inch screen or a very long cable, so I would buy a cheeper one, but probably not the cheapest, unless your BlueRay and TV are some distance then the higher end would be better.....

WRT to the sound, I don't know much but if I recall correctly, depending on the HDMI version audio may or may not be include, but I would imagine if it is relatively new equipment it does, and your tv should play, but you won't have the same sound.

Warren I think is the person to talk to.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Ridiculous, I've got two lying around somewhere, cheap as chips over here. You do get the seriously high end cables but I honestly don't think the difference (if any visually) justifies that price. Even the ones with 24K gold plated ends, laser fitted plugs blah blah blah are only about R150.

9. Hill

Hill

The only time I would consider the more expensive cables is when I was running excessive lengths. At 3 to 5m the difference between expensive and cheap is only the price. If running over 20m the more expensive cabling may be better if they did in fact have a lower impeadance.

10. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm off to Hi Fi corp later to get one. The distance between my TV and amp are about a metre so I should have a problem.

Dean I guess I was just asking for trouble looking for those cables in Sandton City. A lot of the mark up goes to their rent

11. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I remember reading a rather interesting article some time ago, can't remember what it was called or find it on google but it was something like the top 10 myths in audio. One of the items was cables. Basically the summary is cable is cable is cable. But yes look at impendance if you want length as it's an actual figure, not a "buzzword".

12. lIghty

lIghty

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Not all HDMI cables are the same.

And R 1000 bucks is mid price range, I sell a R 7,500.00 HDMI cable.

Depending quite a few factors, the bitrate(speed) is heavily influenced by the construction of the cable. High end cables will run at 13GB/sec easily, cheap cables battle with 1GB, hence the cheap cables don't always do 1080p resolution properly especially over longer lengths.

Speak to me Tony, I will sort you out with a wicked cable for less than R400.00 ;)

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

Yes, you would use a digital optical or coaxila cable for your audio, but you will loose certain DTS decoders, but won't be a prob, unless your Amp is in the R25K + price range.

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

Guys, if you running short lengths and "cheaper" AV kit then any cable will work.

We are experiencing huge problems with the cheaper cable, as they won't handle the new Deep Colour and XV color formats. As new Receivers, Players, LCD and Projectors are released with these formats, you have a choice, that run the better format or have a B?W image on your R 100 cable.

PS: R100.00 are not 1.3a compliant and are best run at 720p or 1080i, but not 1080p

16. Warr7207

Warr7207

What are you talking about? Speaker Cable ? Never heard of an impendance rating on HDMI, does the impendance drop if I connect HDMI device in series or parallel ??:p

Recent Posts