Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse Questions?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Slagter, 15 May 2011.

1. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Hey guys

Has anyone ever got the normal blue cleaner wrasse to eat prepared foods for an length of time? I am seriously considering getting the Hawaiian variety. It's a stunning fish and I'd love to see it thrive in my tank.

I have brine shrimp eggs, so making fresh Brine is not a problem. Would this help wean them? I know that they are extremely difficult to raise and get to thrive, but I seriously want to try my hand at this stunning fish.

Any experience and help would be fantastic! Thanks

Sean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yuri

Yuri

Do not even go there
    Last year Lanzo imported 4 Hawaii cleaners wrasses in 2 weeks time thy where dead

The normal cleaners from Kenya do good in aquariums (but must be from Kenya )

4. FransSny

FransSny

Rather leave ALL cleaner wrasses in the ocean. By removing them you are having a great impact on the reef and its inhabitants

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Best to collect them locally when the are juveniles. They eventually take any foods you put in. Got mines when he was about a centimeter long, +-6 years ago, he eats everything.

Last edited: 15 May 2011
  6. Slagter

Slagter Thread Starter MASA Contributor

The shop that has this fish, does not care adequately for most of the fish they keep. I love the look of the fish, and I feel really sorry for the thing in their tank. The fish is still pretty small. I'd say between 2 - 3cm. I'd like to give it a try, to see if i can rescue the thing and give it a good home, if I can wean it. I am going to try. I don't see why the fish has to suffer, if I could give it a good home.

7. rakabos

rakabos

Sean i reckon if u want that fish, best is to go and get it asap. It's in a tank on its own with no other fish to feed off of

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Sean its not your responsibility to rescue fish from the LFS...if they dont know how to care for them then they should loose their money not you. Leslie had one of these once as well...it didnt last long.

9. rakabos

rakabos

I agree with that but my point was that if he wants it and can better care for it, its best to get it now as opposed to a week's time when its starving.

10. Slagter

I'm gonna go get it tomorrow... I'll set up a QT tank and get a couple of Blue Green Chromis in there as well... He should feel comfortable eating if there are some chromis eating as well.

11. student

student

also saw and wanted that little guy. Flipping beautiful fish! hope you have success with it!!

12. rakabos

rakabos

Just ask them to feed it before u take it, to see that it is eating. It did chomp down on brine when i was there, but that will never sustain it in the long run

13. Slagter

So it did eat? That's fantastic news!!! Step one.

@student - It is a beaut. I really hope it does well.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. rakabos

rakabos

Well if u read up on them u will see they require so much more variety. Some places even suggest oxe heart which my previous wrasse loved. Problem is the other fish also eat it but they cant properly digest it. research research research

15. Slagter

Bloodworms also seem to be taken quite well. Mysis, Brine as well. Some learn to eat flake and pellets too... I think this one will do very well! I'm gonna make sure he eats! It's very easy for me to make Baby Brine as well... Very nutritious when just hatched.

16. rakabos

rakabos

I know @sweetnsour had a flake eating wrasse for ages

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Like I said to Sean before, my cleaner wrasse eats everything that goes into the tank...flakes, pellets, nori, frozen foods, dirt off my fingers :p

I have had him since he was a speck though so its just grown up knowing that those are food stuffs from the other fish. Local Cleaner wrasses caught tiny do better in my experience than brought in ones from overseas.

18. seank

seank

19. Slagter

That is a fantastic read Sean, thanks a bunch.

I am well aware of the risks involved with trying to keep this fish. I really like the look of the fish, and I have done a hell of a lot of reading up on the fish. Most people say that they are indeed obligate feeders, but there are also plenty of reports saying that their fish is nice and healthy and feeding normally. And not just short term.

Like I said earlier though. Is it better for the fish to suffer and die at the shop, or will it be worth the risk to try and save it? I think it will definitely be worth the risk. I am not a newbie any more, but I don't profess to have all the answers either, but if I can get this fish happy and healthy, then it's totally worth it for me.

20. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I think you should leave it. Buying a fish that isnt 100% healthy is never a good idea..especially if its a cleaner wrasse. Rather let the shop suffer the loss, hopefully then they will realise theyll loose money for not looking after fish and either start taking proper care of their stock or stop keeping marines.

21. rakabos

rakabos

Where did you read that the fish is unhealthy?

Recent Posts